Hunt Coupling System

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, NoelG said:

I see these as useful only on fixed rake formations, but not mixed rake formations or on goods trains due to the lack of uncoupling without the big hand from the sky. They seem a useful alternative to Roco or Hornby close couplings. They do not seem to be an alternative to couplings that can uncouple like Kadee's or TLCs over ramps.

Yep, I think you've summed it up quite neatly.

Of most use with modern fixed rakes of stock, either passenger or freight.  Potentially of great use on an exhibition layout 'roundy-roundy' with a fiddle yard where one wants to move one, say faulty item, out of a fixed rake. Where I guess it can be a real annoyance to separate items in anything like a short period of time without much cussing and gnashing of teeth when using alternative couplings.

I am very pleased with them on my HST sets and my Oxford rail blue Mk3s.  Both of which operated in fixed rakes.  Tension lock couplings are the work of the devil! :diablo_mini:

Edited by 87004
Punctuation

On ‎02‎/‎03‎/‎2020 at 09:20, ianLMS said:

I have been messing around with magnets as an option for coupling wagons and coaches for the last couple of years. I am getting there slowly, a little more development is needed and ideally a quicker way of making them. Based on the Maglic, it uses a loop of brass wire, brass tube and a 2mm x 2mm neodymium magnet. A rake of 4 coaches is about the maximum for these small magnets before they part at the most inconvenient of places. Longer rakes would benefit from larger magnets. 

The gaps between stock can be reduced. I have quick tight radius curves to negotiate so need a reasonable gap between the stock. Polarity is always an issue, and uncoupling is done by pulling the stock apart. 

Excellent 'messing around', and you have given me an idea for the solution to fitted 4W wagon freights which is a major 'bug' for me. These should run buffered up (on a layout with  curves large enough to prevent bufferlock) for which there is no RTR autocoupler solution available. Replacing the fixed buffers for sprung magnetic on a couple of hundred largely RTR vehicles is a non starter (I doubt there's the space on most as well)...

Take your small cylindrical magnet and mount it in a crude gimbal on the end of a coil spring, which hangs conventionally from the drawhook. That will yield 'any couples to any' as the magnets can rotate in the gimbal to present opposite poles, the spring should enable the stock to space out a little for curves, inside buffers only in contact, and a drawhook is available to take a regular three link coupler.

Plenty of time for experimentation in the weeks ahead...

• Like 1

Guest Half-full
6 hours ago, NoelG said:

I see these as useful only on fixed rake formations, but not mixed rake formations or on goods trains due to the lack of uncoupling without the big hand from the sky. They seem a useful alternative to Roco or Hornby close couplings. They do not seem to be an alternative to couplings that can uncouple like Kadee's or TLCs over ramps.

They seem of NO use on a shunting layout, or a shunting yard on a bigger layout. They cannot uncouple.

They arent meant to be used for shunting though, only for fixed rakes

I think it pretty clear that these are for use in fixed rake formations. Both my HST's now have them, my Hornby Mk2D's and Oxford Mk3's too. Seriously looking at rolling them out throughout my Bachmann Mk1 and Mk2 sets too. Just because they are so much easier to uncouple and couple up then the current Roco close couplers I've got on those sets.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Half-full said:

They arent meant to be used for shunting though, only for fixed rakes

Yes I get that, but I had seen them proposed by a few folk as alternatives to kadee's and TLCs. As I understand it they are more an alternative to ROCO or Hornby close couplings as you say almost exclusively for fixed rake modern era formations. I can see the advantages of that. The last coach in a rake could have a kadee for hooking up to a loco assuming most locos would need to uncouple from a rake, perform runarounds, etc

I don't see them as a game changer though, kadee's seemed to be the real 'game changer' facilitating closer coupling, more reliable coupling and uncoupling, and reliable push operations. Not to mention their superb performance at automatic uncoupling and delayed uncoupling which makes shunting 50s and 60s 2 axle stock a joy to operate and run prototypically.

Edited by NoelG
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

To clear up any misconceptions about uncoupling:

From a previous post from Westhill Wagon Works that make the Hunt coupler.

Hi there we manufacture and designed the hunt coupling system, These are aimed at simplicity for people to add and remove rolling stock on and off the layout along with close coupling also allowing rakes to be pushed around the layout easily i.e those running mk3's with a dvt.

I have a couple of clip sets on my HSTs and although I haven't fully tested them on my layout yet [*], they've had a spin on a test circuit with no problems to report in both push and pull mode. It's a roundy-roundy with a couple of reverse curves.

Closer coupling over the original T/Ls is very obvious - especially when the powered car is at the front. The ability to remove from the layout easily will be most welcome at the end of and exhibition weekend.

[*]When they start again that is!

And the cost is very reasonable too.

I will be obtaining another set for my sliding door XC set when it arrives.

No connection with Westill/Hunt, other than a seemingly satisfied customer so far.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, bart2day said:

Do the clip style HST couplings allow the train to go around 2nd radius curves?

It may be worth posting a link to page #1....

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
On 29/02/2020 at 11:05, gwrrob said:

Anyone got a photo of these in use on Bachmann Mk1 coaches please.

These are using the 'stepped close' version of the Hunt couplers and will (just) go around 21-inch radius curves (so a wee bit more than 3rd radius) without buffer locking....2ft radius is certainly comfortable.

Infinitely superior to Kadees where no on-scene shunting is required.

DSCF3674.jpg

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

I really like these couplings and I am in the process of transferring them to most of my Freight rakes. 

I am just wondering if anyone has managed to successfully use these couplings with the new Hattons Class 66. I am finding it impossible to keep the connection between Loco and the first wagon on any radius on curves. The rest off the wagon rake handles the curves no problem and I do not have this issue with Hornby or Bachmann Locos so I am guessing this relates to the Hattons design. 

I am using the standard couplings and I have tried both normal and stepped versions.

16 hours ago, NoelG said:

I don't see them as a game changer though, kadee's seemed to be the real 'game changer' facilitating closer coupling, more reliable coupling and uncoupling, and reliable push operations.

That's really subjective though.

As I said...  for me, these are great.  My layout isn't for shunting and I don't need to couple / uncouple wagons or coaches.  For my fixed rake of MK3 coaches, they are a game changer compared with the more expensive Kadees.

I don't give a monkeys about close coupling (yet).

Your wants seem to be close coupling and shunting.

This product isn't aimed at you.

For my wants, this is exactly the product I could do with.

13 hours ago, newbryford said:

I ordered on March 28. 

Items arrived a few days later.

Also had a product update email on April 4.

Try emailing, Facebook Messaging, YouTube commenting...  no responses.
Reminds me of a now defunct model manufacturer - good products but clearly a victim to their own success.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Hi @Sir TophamHatt there apologies we have had a couple of days off over then bank holiday just to give ourselves Chris B & Chris H a little break as we have been non stop, wish to thank each and everyone of our customers and anyone who shows an interest in our products not just couplings but other things and future things too, we do our best where possible.

We can also reply on here do keep an eye out when we can as so many media platforms, if you have not received a reply please ensure you are contacting us on our email: huntcouplings@outlook.com or you can phone us on: 07391 216 729, regards Chris Bower - West Hill Wagon Works

8 hours ago, Sir TophamHatt said:

As I said...  for me, these are great.  My layout isn't for shunting and I don't need to couple / uncouple wagons or coaches.  For my fixed rake of MK3 coaches, they are a game changer compared with the more expensive Kadees.

Reminds me of a now defunct model manufacturer - good products but clearly a victim to their own success.

21 hours ago, bart2day said:

Same here. Sent three emails over last few weeks. No replies to any of them. <_<

23 hours ago, bart2day said:

Do the clip style HST couplings allow the train to go around 2nd radius curves?

Hi yes @bart2day they are intended for second radius and above :-)

West Hill Wagon Works LTD

Tel: 07391216729

Email: huntcouplings@outlook.com

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAwVxdOpT4JiP-qggdkB7BA?view_as=subscriber

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/WestHilllWagonWorks

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

11 hours ago, Dicky L said:

I really like these couplings and I am in the process of transferring them to most of my Freight rakes. 

I am just wondering if anyone has managed to successfully use these couplings with the new Hattons Class 66. I am finding it impossible to keep the connection between Loco and the first wagon on any radius on curves. The rest off the wagon rake handles the curves no problem and I do not have this issue with Hornby or Bachmann Locos so I am guessing this relates to the Hattons design. 

I am using the standard couplings and I have tried both normal and stepped versions.

hi @Dicky L we are working on a hinged type to work with the hattons 66 they have been abit of a headache for us too! Especially second radius curves.

we’ve just done specific ones for the Bachmann pullmans as we got requested and we’ve had requests for hattons 66 we working on them along with N gauge releases both be available soon keep an eye out on Facebook page for updates 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, Westhillwagonworks said:

hi @Dicky L we are working on a hinged type to work with the hattons 66 they have been abit of a headache for us too! Especially second radius curves.

we’ve just done specific ones for the Bachmann pullmans as we got requested and we’ve had requests for hattons 66 we working on them along with N gauge releases both be available soon keep an eye out on Facebook page for updates 

Thanks for the helpful reply much appreciated. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Westhillwagonworks said:

Hi @Sir TophamHatt there apologies we have had a couple of days off over then bank holiday just to give ourselves Chris B & Chris H a little break as we have been non stop, wish to thank each and everyone of our customers and anyone who shows an interest in our products not just couplings but other things and future things too, we do our best where possible.

To be fair, I did think after I posted initially that perhaps the first push of couplings may have left you a little worn out.
I think it was a case of Easter falling on a time when I am primed ready to buy this and that - don't ask about the amount of ebay deliveries I have on the way!

Cheers for your work :)

• Like 1

On 14/04/2020 at 11:49, Sir TophamHatt said:

Good to hear, yes horses for courses, etc, each has different requirements.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Had a pack of HST and standard NEM couplings arrive today to go on my Wrexham & Shropshire 67 & DVT set. A fixed formation that was not happy being propelled around my less than level garden layout (see link below). It regularly derailed at the far end loop when being propelled due to the tightness of the curves and the not quite perfect track laying. Roco close couplers did not resolve the main problem of the 67-MK3 interface which caused most derailments (NEM pocket to Dapol/Airfix style fixings).

The Hunt Couplings were quickly and easily fitted and the DVT set now runs perfectly even when being pushed from the back. Result.

Will try the standard couplings on some of my container wagons as their relative lack of weight and long consists also didn't agree with the curves.

For info for the W&S set I needed the HST Clip Couplings for the Mk3's with Airfix/Dapol couplings and a standard NEM set for the 67 and DVT which have pockets. The leftover HST, clip and NEM couplings can then be used on either my ATW 67 & DVT set or my NMT, which has mix of Mk3's with NEM and clip couplings.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Very kind of you to refer to me as honourable, which I like to think I am, but I am not a gentleman, at least not in the feudal sense, a gentleman being a person not of rank or nobility but owning property.  I live in a rented flat.  I stand duly referred, hitherto unaware of such a beast with a non-gangwayed end' we don't see many mk4s in Cardiff.  This is of course a flimsy excuse as I don't suppose they are exactly common in Orkney either...

• Funny 4