Hunt Coupling System

4 hours ago, Half-full said:

Christ almighty is there no pleasing people?

Your post seems to be aimed at me... yet I have never moaned about the polarity of the magnets :rolleyes: 

I was also well aware of another brand already selling a similar product but still chose the Hunt Couplings as they were what would work better. The aftersales support has been great too.

But it's about opening my mind to what others may think. To you it may not be much money, but others may have bought 10, 20 sets - quite a lot of money. But you'll see I edited my post to better reflect my evolved thinking. It's okay to think one way and change your mind isn't it?

Sorry if my thoughts and opinions don't align to yours. Your post hardly screams diplomaticness and is actually offensive. Shame really.

Edited by Sir TophamHatt
  • Like 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I would have thought those with the original single polarity ones could still use them, for example on coaches which normally stay in fixed rakes. If it makes it simpler, a coloured dot could be added underneath to indicate which way round the coach should be. Ordered one of each of the new versions to have a play with.

Edited by Butler Henderson
  • Agree 1

On 26/06/2020 at 18:58, Westhillwagonworks said:

yes, thank you. I've watched the video from Dean Park and they will overcome my issues. Can't afford them right now. Hindsight is wonderful.

Personally I think it's a simple matter of getting the 'normal' coupling for 'fixed' rakes that you aren't going to swap around and the 'Elite' for rakes where you want to be able to swap vehicles around. 

Just ordered some of the new Elite stepped couplings to try on a mixed liveried set of Mk1's and Mk2's where I do like to swap the order around.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

For me retaining polarity will be good .... there are certain rules when marshalling coaches eg CKs with first Class compartments adjacent, adjacent brakes together, loo of adjoining coach next to buffet.... that polarity will help to maintain in the heat of a show.....

• Like 4

Although this relates to the originals, two of the three Elites so far are the same length and I think it's safe to assume that an Ultra Elite will be produced at some stage.  As such it may still be of interest to others regardless of whether you go for Originals or Ultra versions.

My motivation is for the visual improvement of bringing stock closer together.  The Bachmann fixed connections does that, it is good for my rakes that stay on the layout but no good for my rakes which are not kept on the layout.  Hunt Coupling are ideal for quickly making up a rake from my stock boxes.  I keep tension locks on the outer couplings Brian Kirkby style.

I had just last week (unfortunately as it turns out with Fridays announcement) bought more original standard close and ultra close packs of the originals to find the best solution for me.

Close to close were too close for my one short radius point hidden in a tunnel. I looked at relaying the track and found it would alter the curvature of one direction which would have knock on consequences.

Close to close were 19mm. Standard to Standard are 25. To me Standard to Standard were as far apart as Tension Lock so did not improve the look.

Standerd to Close worked well visually and as far as running goes at 22.3mm.  To use up all of the connectors half the coaches have Standerd A and a Close B. The other half had a Standerd B and Close A. If you pardon the pun the different lengths coupled with the limitation of different polarity further reduces flexibility of swapping coaches within a rake. Nevertheless with careful planning including one coach with two Close magnets both halves can be combined and it works for me.

The Elite range intermediate to Intermediate is reportdely coming in at 23.4mm. (thanks Jaggzuk for the useful table). This may seem close to my original version Standard to Close at 22.3mm. However 1.1mm when it comes to a gap may be too much for me visually.

I may try the Close to Close Elite 19mm on the basis that they do a specific Bachmann MK1 which are stepped. It may be the issue the stepped version was designed to overcome and not the distance that is the problem on the one problem point on the layout. If it doesn't there would be little to gain from using Standard and Close Elites over what I have now in terms of flexibility using two different lengths would have the same limitations as the different polarity.  I could test a Close to Close on my Mk2s to see how they get on at 19mm without the stepped issue.

TPOs, I noticed when using the fixed Bachmann connection they were further apart than normal MK1 or MK2. Even Close to Close Hunt Couplings was too far apart visually for me. Ultra to Ultra too close for running on my one point.   I've gone for Close to Ultra for them. It works well. If you are not having issues with Close to Close on Mk1s I would think Ultra to Ultra would work for you on TPOs 

Just be aware fitting and removing them to find the best solution resulted in a number of the legs breaking. 

I had got magnets fitted to everything I'd wanted them for, if I buy Elites I'll cascade the originals to other stock

Im not usually an early adopter, thankfully it was only 6 or 7 packs and not a couple of grand for some fancy new tech I had early adopted on!  It is good to see the range progressing and one of the issues people had raised about polarity being addressed.  There is on Ebay someone making NEM conversions for some Lima wagons (the type used on Lima grain and cement wagons) and Dapol stock.  This may open up possibilities to use Hunt couplings to convert older stock including the ex Airfix Hornby  Mk2 Ds as I think they use the Dapol system for couplings.  To date I've just modified them with tension locks to draw them closer.

Finally a word of warning, I've noticed a few reviewers on You Tube being left lost for words rendered speechless, getting very  very excited when reviewing them. Perhaps these new magnets are so powerful they are interfering with brain function in some way, may be best to wear some kind of hat when using them just in case!!!

Edited by Waverley47708
  • Like 3
  • Funny 2

29 minutes ago, Waverley47708 said:

There is on Ebay someone making NEM conversions for some Lima wagons (the type used on Lima grain and cement wagons) and Dapol stock.  This may open up possibilities to use Hunt couplings to convert older stock including the ex Airfix Hornby  Mk2 Ds as I think they use the Dapol system for couplings.

Cheers for that tip.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jaggzuk said:

Cheers for that tip.

Here is a link. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OO-Dapol-Hornby-NEM-converters-1x-Sample-4-pockets/202961845211?hash=item2f4177fbdb:g:KNcAAOSwxfhekMTd

Photo  shows them being used for wagons, not sure if they work for Hornby MK2D but I think I saw on their Facebook page that is something they are working on.

If they did a bit of thought would be needed to work out the best size of Hunt couplings to use with them.

• Informative/Useful 3

I've used the Lima ones on Lima Grainflow wagons, when I put some spare Bachmann tension locks in the distance between them was too much.  I currently have close Hunt Couplings but may try Ultra Close.

Edited by Waverley47708

9 hours ago, Waverley47708 said:

Finally a word of warning, I've noticed a few reviewers on You Tube being left lost for words rendered speechless, getting very  very excited when reviewing them. Perhaps these new magnets are so powerful they are interfering with brain function in some way, may be best to wear some kind of hat when using them just in case!!!

There is one I saw who said his "head literally exploded".

Remarkable recovery by the time of his YouTube review. Well done our NHS I say.

• Funny 14

9 hours ago, Waverley47708 said:

Out of stock as is the bulk pack - the dodge, albeit with a coupling rock solid with no swing at all, is to simply glue one in the socket; helps to hold the NEM prongs together in one hand and run a suitably sized drill through the centre which can then help to ease the prongs around the central moulding in the socket.

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold
On ‎29‎/‎06‎/‎2020 at 20:36, Butler Henderson said:

Out of stock as is the bulk pack - the dodge, albeit with a coupling rock solid with no swing at all, is to simply glue one in the socket; helps to hold the NEM prongs together in one hand and run a suitably sized drill through the centre which can then help to ease the prongs around the central moulding in the socket.

If glueing them in, why not just shorten the prongs to clear the offending part of the moulding?

John  

15 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

If glueing them in, why not just shorten the prongs to clear the offending part of the moulding?

John  

Because it makes a stronger joint, no longer necessary with regard to these magnetic couplings as they have released an appropriately designed version to fit those Airfix/Dapol/Hornby mounts

• RMweb Gold

I am hanging on for this development team to come up with the magnetic version of the screw link and 3-link coupling to be devised and i will be a very happy chappy!! 

If they can make it smaller, cut off the NEM fitting, add a loop instead, it can connect through the hole in the coupling hook and hey presto!! 

Maybe not head exploding stuff but it might work!

Edited by ianLMS

• RMweb Premium

I've just fitted a set of the N Gauge Elite couplings to my Dapol HST and I'm very pleased with the result. There's no slack in the coupling as there is with standard Rapido or Dapol's buck-eye which means the close coupling mechanism does it's job perfectly.

Less perfect was the results of trying to fit them to my Farish Mk1s - they don't fit without modification which I've yet to try as I needed all I have for the HST.

Does anyone know what lengths are provided with the N Gauge Elite HST pack - there are a pair of longer ones for the power cars and eight pairs for the Mk3s. I'd like to fit the shorter ones to my loco-hauled Mk3s but so far my emails asking if they're the close & intermediate, or intermediate & long have gone unanswered (or in the spam folder!).

Steven B.

• 2 months later...
On 25/08/2020 at 22:09, Steven B said:

I've just fitted a set of the N Gauge Elite couplings to my Dapol HST and I'm very pleased with the result. There's no slack in the coupling as there is with standard Rapido or Dapol's buck-eye which means the close coupling mechanism does it's job perfectly.

Less perfect was the results of trying to fit them to my Farish Mk1s - they don't fit without modification which I've yet to try as I needed all I have for the HST.

Does anyone know what lengths are provided with the N Gauge Elite HST pack - there are a pair of longer ones for the power cars and eight pairs for the Mk3s. I'd like to fit the shorter ones to my loco-hauled Mk3s but so far my emails asking if they're the close & intermediate, or intermediate & long have gone unanswered (or in the spam folder!).

Steven B.

I've just fitted one of my Dapol HST sets and mine constantly derail on curves, which is very disappointing as everyone seems to rave about these couplings. I’m not sure if anyone knows if there is a minimum radius these will operate on? I’ve checked the website but can’t find any info. I also emailed them, but they have, (so far,) not replied. I’m assuming these are only suitable on very generous radii, but if anyone does have any info, it would be very gratefully received! 

• Informative/Useful 1

Would depend if the coaches are touching on the curves or not. If they are, you would probably need the next size up of coupling. This is why they do different lengths so that you can pick and choose depending on the radii on your layout.

What I would do is purchase the next size up of coupling then see if you can mix the two sizes together. You'll probably find that you can use the couplings you don't use in the HST on other stock.

That's certainly been my experience in OO at least ;)

• RMweb Premium

I've test run my Dapol HST using the Hunt Elite pack the train through Peco code 55 small radius curves without any problems. The Hunt couplings rely on the close coupling mechanism working correctly - there's not the usual slack in the coupling as you would get with Rapido or Dapol's dummy buckeyes.

Check that the coupling pockets are free to move - on some of mine I had to re-fit the close coupling mechanism as it came unseated whilst fitting the couplings.

Steven B.

• 2 weeks later...

I've used the original Close Couplings on some Hornby Mk2d's. They don't have a close coupling mechanism but there is enough space for the ends to swing on the curves I've tested on.

It's a case of experimenting with a few different lengths and finding those that work best.

On 22/11/2020 at 10:12, LNERandBR said:

Would depend if the coaches are touching on the curves or not. If they are, you would probably need the next size up of coupling. This is why they do different lengths so that you can pick and choose depending on the radii on your layout.

What I would do is purchase the next size up of coupling then see if you can mix the two sizes together. You'll probably find that you can use the couplings you don't use in the HST on other stock.

That's certainly been my experience in OO at least ;)

Hunt Couplings sell these as a Dapol HST set, so I think it’s fair to assume they would be suitable. Ive had no reply from Hunt Couplings to my emails, which I thought was rather rude of them and not great customer service. I’ve relooked at how they are fitted and can’t see any issues, so all I can surmise is that they sound like a good idea, on paper but are not fit for purpose, so would warn others thinking of buying these to maybe test a couple of them before committing to four HST packs that I purchased! An expensive mistake unfortunately. 

15 minutes ago, nickb4141 said:

Ive had no reply from Hunt Couplings to my emails, which I thought was rather rude of them and not great customer service.

+1.  I rang them first with a query about which type to buy.  I asked would it be easier if I sent an email showing the existing coupling.  They read the email but never replied.

• RMweb Premium

+2 - I think the N Gauge Elite couplings are great on my Dapol Mk3 sets (loco-hauled and HST) and wanted to fit them to my Farish Mk1 sets. Unfortunately they're 0.25mm wider than the NEM specification and don't fit without a lot of work to file them smaller. I emailed asking if it was a problem with their CAD or just my couplings that had been printed out of spec and never received a reply.

Steven B.

• RMweb Premium
22 hours ago, nickb4141 said:

I’ve relooked at how they are fitted and can’t see any issues, so all I can surmise is that they sound like a good idea, on paper but are not fit for purpose, so would warn others thinking of buying these to maybe test a couple of them before committing to four HST packs that I purchased! An expensive mistake unfortunately. 

I've fitted the Elite couplings to my two Dapol HST sets (both 8+2) and run them quite happily around a figure of eight test track with 10' curves without any problems. Have you checked that the close coupling mechanisms are working properly? On a few of my Mk3s (around 25 fitted so far) I discovered that it wasn't fitted correctly, often as a result of me not holding the coupling pocket firmly enough whilst removing & fitting the couplings.

Steven B.