Hunt Coupling System

3 hours ago, steved99 said:

only to see the NEM pockets stuffed with ....... Horn Hook couplings taking us straight back to TOY levels of detail.

Er, I don't think anyone does Horn Hook NEM couplings...spacer.png

You're thinking of Tension Locks perhaps?

Edited by frobisher

3 minutes ago, frobisher said:

Er, I don't think anyone does Horn Hook NEM couplings...

Ok edited my post, what ever those dreadful hook type couplings are called that come clagged into the NEM pockets are then.

Edited by steved99

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, steved99 said:

Ok edited my post, what ever those dreadful hook type couplings are called that come clagged into the NEM pockets are then.

Horn hooks like that can be found on US stock.

They are mounted in a draft box - which you may be confusing with a NEM pocket.

And a Kadee is s straight swap in most cases - into the same draft box

1 hour ago, frobisher said:

Er, I don't think anyone does Horn Hook NEM couplings...spacer.png

You're think Tension Locks perhaps?

I actually mean these hideous toylike contraptions 

r8099.jpg

Edited by steved99

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a selection of Hunt Elite couplings last week and have been very impressed with them.

The main reason for buying them is that most of my coaching stock is Bachmann and I use their Vacuum Pipe close connectors to get a realistic close distance between the coaches.

The problem then is that the coaches are not easy to disconnect to form up into different sets which with the average price of coaches at around the £50.00 mark makes it expensive to build 8 coach sets so I wanted a more flexible system.

After a few trial runs I found that the intermediate size couplings were the best match and behaved perfectly with close coupling on the straights bigger gaps on the curves.

1829878355_IMG_3892(2).JPG.212cfdfe1b3d164f3347531073273530.JPG

As can be seen from the photo they are a good fit, trouble-free in operationand a saving on my second option of Kadees so the plan now is Hunt couplings between the coaches and keep the Kadees on the ends.

I just need to look at the other sizes now and work out what they are best suited for.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Jack Benson

Hi,

Just placed an order for 10 pairs for rake couplings after discovering that none of our stash of HO continental close coupling heads were long enough to allow coupling between vehicles. The cost of two pairs of Kadee #18 has hit £8+ which is not unsubstantial even for our modest needs.

StaySafe

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hunt Couplings for HST - Issues.

Last May (22) I converted an original Hornby HST to take the new bogies and motor as well as re-gauging to EM.   I purchased a set of Hunt coupling for HST and tried them with a rake of 7 new Mk3 coaches (farewell tour).  Minimum radius on my test rack is 34" so did not expect problems but one or two coaches derailed when negotiating the curves.  So, I switch the inter-coach connections to the supplied Electrotren coupling whilst keeping the magnetic couplings between DVTs and Mks3.  Problem solved, no derailments.  There is no minimum radius advice given for the couplings.

Having just converted a Lima HST to use the latest bogies and central drive motor I went to use the stepped Hunt coupling from the Hornby DVTs only to find they pulled straight out and have lost all tension on the swallow tail so now the coupling is not useable.  I emailed West Hill Wagons but so far have been given a stiff ignoring.  Has anybody else had issues with derailment on (quite large radius) curves or with the 3D print going soft and the swallow tail losing its springiness?  I have heard on the grapevine there are issue but have seen nothing on RMWeb yet.  Perhaps the new Hornby magnetic couplings will resolve the issue but I am reluctant to part with any more money for Hunt Couplings even though they may have improved their expanded range.

Patrick

6 minutes ago, NFWEM57 said:

Hunt Couplings for HST - Issues.

Last May (22) I converted an original Hornby HST to take the new bogies and motor as well as re-gauging to EM.   I purchased a set of Hunt coupling for HST and tried them with a rake of 7 new Mk3 coaches (farewell tour).  Minimum radius on my test rack is 34" so did not expect problems but one or two coaches derailed when negotiating the curves.  So, I switch the inter-coach connections to the supplied Electrotren coupling whilst keeping the magnetic couplings between DVTs and Mks3.  Problem solved, no derailments.  There is no minimum radius advice given for the couplings.

Having just converted a Lima HST to use the latest bogies and central drive motor I went to use the stepped Hunt coupling from the Hornby DVTs only to find they pulled straight out and have lost all tension on the swallow tail so now the coupling is not useable.  I emailed West Hill Wagons but so far have been given a stiff ignoring.  Has anybody else had issues with derailment on (quite large radius) curves or with the 3D print going soft and the swallow tail losing its springiness?  I have heard on the grapevine there are issue but have seen nothing on RMWeb yet.  Perhaps the new Hornby magnetic couplings will resolve the issue but I am reluctant to part with any more money for Hunt Couplings even though they may have improved their expanded range.

Patrick

Glue?

CJI.

The couplings are supplied in different lengths so that different stock and layouts can be catered for. This is why there is no 'minimum radius' as it will depend greatly on which stock you are attaching them to. If you get buffer lock then you need to try longer couplings or mix and match (A short on one end and a long on the other)

My understanding is the HST sets are for the retooled Hornby HST before they added the kinematic couplings. I don't think they are designed with Railroad or other Hornby HST's in mind.

I have heard that people have successfully bent the legs on the Hunt Couplings outwards to give greater purchase. However, you must be gentle or you will snap them like any other NEM coupling. My advice would be to use glue to firmly attach.

I've now fitted Hunt Couplings to countless wagons, coaches and two HST Sets. I've been very happy with them given I've been able to close the gaps between stock. More importantly for me, they make setting up and packing away at shows far, far easier than any other close coupling that I have used.

I'm also impressed with the flexibility of the range. They do take a little bit of fettling to get the best out of them but I expected that going into converting my fixed stock rakes. I have no connection other then a very satisfied customer.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, LNERandBR said:

My understanding is the HST sets are for the retooled Hornby HST before they added the kinematic couplings.

Thank you for the response and information.  It is the inter-coach couplings on the latest Mk3s (2022) causing the derailment issue, not the DVT to Mk3 connection. 

4 minutes ago, NFWEM57 said:

Thank you for the response and information.  It is the inter-coach couplings on the latest Mk3s (2022) causing the derailment issue, not the DVT to Mk3 connection. 

Are those the ones with the Kinematic couplings? I believe they upgraded the Mk3's recently to have them whilst the earlier coaches did not have them.

If so, you may in fact need one of the standard NEM socket types which will be of a different length.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, LNERandBR said:

Are those the ones with the Kinematic couplings? I

No, the earlier ones in the range R40041 to R40045 (LNER Farewell).  They came with mini D and Electrotren couplings. 

Patrick

• RMweb Premium
On 05/02/2023 at 12:53, Michael Hodgson said:

curves and gradients. 

My test track is level with 34" curves and British Finescale point work.  My planned layout will have minimum radius 48" and no more than 2% gradient.  I have used Copydex on the DVT Hunt coupling and have used Electrotren everywhere else.  Test run just undertaken with 7 coaches and aside from one troublesome Electrotren, now resolved, the HST formation, with Lima conversion to EM and central drive motor, runs seemingly effortlessly at at a scale speed of 125 mph.  Power DVT weighs 460g.  Copydex holding..!

Video going on line for a separate HST thread this afternoon.

Edited by NFWEM57
typo
  • Like 2

• 1 year later...

Has anyone tried painting the magnetic end of the hunt couplers to try blend them in better with the front of the loco? If so it would be great to see some images. 

I am a huge fan of the hunt coupling system but trying to find a way to make them stand out less when a loco is running light engine 

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

I've used a black chisel-tip Sharpie to tone down the shiny surface of the couplings, although not the front. It's the sides of the couplings that stood out for me as their brightness made them too conspicuous. I found it best to do this before fitting. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Sorry to slightly hijack this thread, but not sure where else to post. 

I, along with several others experienced issues with the HST power car elite couplings being a little too thin and small and having a tendency to pop out on the move. Full credit to Hunt, the latest incarnation has completely solved this problem, with a larger fish tail, they fit perfectly and do not fall out at any speed, great. However, on the negative side, the new coupling, although much sturdier and fitting the Hornby power car brilliantly, are very slightly longer, and so the gap between power car and carriage is now larger, almost to the point it isn't worth using magnetic instead of the standard hook coupling. Can Hunt possibly shorten the new coupling slightly to give a smaller gap between power car and first coach?

5 hours ago, 125_driver said:

Can Hunt possibly shorten the new coupling slightly to give a smaller gap between power car and first coach?

I dare say they could, but it might be more appropriate to ask them directly.

• Agree 1