LMS D1927 3 plank scratchbuild in 7mm - DONE!

Guest WM183

The kit as packed won't be a patch on Amanda's work Hal.  They can be improved with effort.

Great stuff Amanda, I love the busyness of the underframe.  Happy to see you have done the yokes and safety loops.

I just hope you got the V hangers the right way round.  To my eye they look right.   I was building a fitted van today and about to install levers when I realized the vees were on wrong!  Aaaaarghhh!  This despite telling myself over and over to get them right.

John

It is this one Amanda:

https://anticsonline.uk/N425/N1322/N2311/N2384_o-gauge-GWR-goods-wagon-kit-peco-parkside-slaters/1945278_Parkside-O-gauge-kit-PS28-12T-Covered-Goods-Wagon.html

I haven't taken any photos, I plan to do that after finishing.

A mate of mine who collects all manner of railwayana gave the 3 wagons to me.  They were really dire with stonking great coarse wheels and enormous couplings.  I have a policy not to buy built kit wagons (but free is a different matter).  It is unlikely that the build standard would approach mine and having to rebuild takes more time, effort and cost (for replacement parts).

Cheers

John

I will add that I note you haven't put the wheels or couplings in yet.  The BB sprung axleguards are flexible enough to permit wheels to be installed and removed at will.  I leave off wheels, couplings and buffers until after painting.  My method is to use a rattle can primer and after curing to paint on the final colour.  It is not that big a deal to mask off the buffers.

John

Very impressive indeed.  I'm just finishing up three WR wagons, one of which is a 5 plank open.  I will post pics on my thread.

Prior to painting these looked very rough, but paint and weathering covers a multitude of sins.

John

Edited by brossard
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, WM183 said:

Would the whole stanchion be bauxite, or just above the headstock level?

I deliberately avoided reference to that! I think officially it was body colour above the line, black below  so there was a line on the stantions but in practice they varied and I've definitely seen some where the body colour went all the way down the stantions, even including the buffers on some (edit - actually I think the variant i saw had buffer beams bauxite but buffers themselves still black).

Mind you dirty bauxite and dirty underframe are pretty hard to tell apart anyway!

Edited by Hal Nail
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

Regarding the painting of wagons, each workshop and each painter would have there own style.  Even wagon builds could vary between workshops.  As mentioned before, paint was mixed on site with material that was available at the time.  Ironwork would have been fabricated on site, so the opportunity for 'individual flair'.

Where does that get us...

Look at pictures, colour ones if you can get them.  Take care that come colour emulsions show colours in different shades...

But above all, do what YOU think looks right. 

By the way, it is a lovely model, thanks