LMS D1927 3 plank scratchbuild in 7mm - DONE!

Guest WM183

There's this:  https://slatersplastikard.com/linePage.php?code=7029

Not the D1927 though.  I built this for a friend but missed the door bangers, see below.

Here's the MR wagon (D818) in 1969:  https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/lms3plankopen

I hope someone comes through on this, I wouldn't mind one myself.

John

Edited by brossard

• RMweb Premium
On 17/02/2020 at 09:19, billbedford said:

What's the difference between the MR d.818 and the LMS d.1927?

I do an etched 4mm kit for 818 and it could be redrawn for 7mm, but given time I would prefer to re do both as 3D prints. 

Looks like the MR ones in the links above have wooden underframe and solid buffer beams compared to the later one, plus the earlier version lacks the additional framing at each corner, on the ends.

The 1927 is 10' wheelbase and I'm guessing the older one might be 9' with a proportionally shorter body but hard to tell from the photos.

The 818 looks a lot older for want of a better description!

Edited by Hal Nail

1 hour ago, WM183 said:

Well it will be however long it takes for bits to arrive I'm the post, but I'll update once I've begun!

I'm wondering if you are exclusively a kit builder or open to RTR as well.  Dapol did a couple of very nice BR 5 plank opens, fitted and unfitted.

John

Ah, OK.  I think Dapols RTR are mostly excellent, although you have to be careful.  Those models produced prior to the merger with Lionheart were not good, eg; 1st gen. PO wagons and Milk tanks.  I think later PO wagons, what I would call 2nd gen, have the Lionheart features (compensation, pinpoint bearings and diecast underframe).

We are a long way from the choice of RTR available in 4mm so, for most of our stock it has to be kits.  Pricewise, RTR and kits are roughly the same.  I will buy good RTR if the wagon I want is available, since time is something that is valuable.  Even good RTR still won't have the level of detail I want but I don't have a problem adding that.

I do have an extensive library of books.  I like the more technical books (like Essery's LMS Wagon Drawings), picture books are fine but finding the relevant pic is a pain.

Cheers

John

My 4mm railway was LMS so I have pretty much all the requisite books for that.  In 7mm, I have branched out a bit to LNER, GWR (because my friend does that, but he has lent me all the books) and a little bit of Southern.  I did this because the dearth of RTR locos means that it is difficult to be a purist.  1962 BR means you can mix and match to your hearts content.

Another thing is that if I need help with detail (I am an underframe nut), queries here have always turned up the info I need.  Paul Bartlett's collection is great for pictures of wagons even if the 1980s condition is not representative.  Be a bit careful with preserved wagons, they may have been modified in life so their final condition may not be accurate.

John

17 hours ago, WM183 said:

In 4mm, indeed!  I've got one on a Rumney chassis and it's a nice model. You'd think being rather common Peco or Parkside would make a kit for it. LMS had something like 11,000 of them!

Yep, sorry, I hadn't noticed this was a 7mm thread!

Cheers