LMS D1927 3 plank scratchbuild in 7mm - DONE!

Guest WM183

• RMweb Premium

Drill holes through for the rod which will then act as the bolts inside and out. That's the method Michael Hughes on here is using for a couple of planked wagon kits he is working on. 

MM1 only make things in occassional batches so you might have a wait for that one.

Edited by Hal Nail

Perhaps you need an underframe kit:  https://slatersplastikard.com/others/7mmParts/wagonParts/gOwagonUF.php

Or:  https://peco-uk.com/collections/7mm-o/products/british-railway-mineral-wagon-underframe  9' WB.  These are very good with sprung axle boxes.  I'm not keen on the sprung coupling/buffer combo and on my last build I replaced these.

On the other hand, you can make leaf springs by laminating plastic strip:

Make a "loaf" thus:  P1010003-003.JPG.037f0752a69ad8a913054b6f31895d69.JPG

Then slice off springs of the appropriate thickness:

P1010001-007.JPG.2c6ca95e823165a36ef94e4a483118ee.JPG

These are 4mm but I don't see why the method shouldn't work in 7mm.

Rice shows how to make axleboxes in one of his books.  The method involves carving a lump of plastic and adding plastic strip/rod to detail.

John

1 hour ago, WM183 said:

BIll - I am afraid I haven't graduated yet to milk cartons and cornflake packets. That seems to be a far more advanced stage of scratchbuilding than I could hope to attain. By the way, do you know if you'll ever do a 7mm etch for a 10' RCH brake?

Sorry, but I gave up designing  etches years ago. I can produce whole wagons fore you though. 

• RMweb Premium
On 22/02/2020 at 02:57, Hal Nail said:

Slaters standard Van's have spares. I'll have a look and send you a PM.

This is the sprue (x2) from the slaters standard van that I thought isnt used. Spare w irons and 2 sets of springs and axle boxes plus clasp brakes.

I am starting to doubt myself now. Why would this be included if not required at all? I may have got lucky and had an extra set. Perhaps one of the others here can answer?

20200225_124411.jpg.2281ad4a34e3e82b1f807380a57fa996.jpg

Edited by Hal Nail

• RMweb Premium
57 minutes ago, WM183 said:

Wait, so you get two spare sprues like this with a standard van kit? I want to build a standard van anyway.

Well I thought you did but since I've finished the van without using a single bit off this sprue, I am at a loss to why they bother to include it!

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, WM183 said:

So you have one of those spares or two? If one... wanna part with it?

If two... wanna part with them?

=D

I have 2 of these sprues but I need them sorry. I originally had 2 other kits which I would have happily raided for you but had forgotten that I sold them on.

This was the sprue that I actually used which had the brakes and w irons on - I think the springs were moulded on the w irons on these already.

20200225_192021.jpg.94fd7e36d9e12e163fcb8f697e61c4e3.jpg

Hi Amanda,

I've just looked in Essery's LMS Wagon p 36/7 and there appear to be 2 types of D1927 unbraked and vacuum braked.  The former has the short springs, the latter has longer (van type) springs with shock absorbers on the ends so my question is ... which one do you wish to build?  I have a bag of spare Slater's sprues. If you let me know which type and how many you need I'll have a look what I've got.

Cheers,

Ray.

p.s.  I thought that the pages in 'LMS wagons' were familiar as I'd used them to build a D1927 from a Haywood etched brass kit a few years ago, Haywood don't have a website but here are his contact details :

Haywood Railway

Contact:   Geoff Gill     Phone:   01889 881610     Mobile Phone:  
    Address:    29 Lichfield Drive       Great Haywood   Staffordshire   United Kingdom   ST18 0SX
    Email:       mailto:gp.gill@yahoo.co.uk

Edited by Marshall5
Add'l info.