Loksound 4 sound quality - opinion sought

MikeJT

Hello all,

I'd appreciate your thoughts and advice with an issue I'm experiencing with a Loksound V4 decoder.

The decoder in question was fitted from new in my Bachmann Class 47 (47 001). I'd never been very happy with the sound project and so recently sent the decoder to be reblown by DC Kits with the Legomanbiffo 47/4 sound project.

Overall the project is a huge improvement however I have one big disappointment - there is a very noticeable sound of static like crackle at the end of the sound file when the loco is shut down.

There is no evidence of this crackle during the playing of any other sounds within the project.

I raised my concern with DC Kits and had a reply from Bif who said nothing can be done because what I'm hearing is a limitation of the Loksound V4.

I have a couple of other Loksound V4 chips and don't hear this kind of sound problem.

The loco in question is fitted with a double iPhone speaker, supplied by Roads and Rails. My first thought had been a faulty speaker but I've swapped that for another and the crackle remains.

Seems very odd to me.

A short video clip hopefully demonstrates what I'm talking about.

Thoughts and advice would be gratefully received.

Thanks,

Mike

Hi Mike,

I too have this crackle that happens right at the end of the loco shutdown on both my Loksound 4s as well as the Loksound Select that came factory fitted in my Bachmann 37. My two Loksound 5s however don’t make this crackle. Whether that is because of the decoder or the file I’m not sure.

Edited by bart2day
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, bart2day said:

Hi Mike,

I too have this crackle that happens right at the end of the loco shutdown on both my Loksound 4s as well as the Loksound Select that came factory fitted in my Bachmann 37. My two Loksound 5s however don’t make this crackle. Whether that is because of the decoder or the file I’m not sure.

Thanks for that - in a way that's good to know.

It just seemed strange to me that with so many Loksound v4 decoders out there I couldn't recall ever hearing of this issue before. I'd remembered reading that the v4 hissed but this crackle is quite pronounced and spoils any attempts at realism.

I'm going to contact ESU with the recoding to see what they have to say.

In the meantime I think I'll be sticking to Zimo sound decoders which I understand suffer no such flaws!

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, bart2day said:

Hi Mike,

I looked a the specs of Loksound select vs v4 & couldn't see a difference.

I understand the Select is effectively a locked version & they are otherwise the same.

Yes, this crackling sound can really be annoying.

But it has absolutely nothing to do with ESU or Zimo but with the 8-bit technology of the previous decoder generation.

If the volume of sound samples is incorrectly faded out and the sequence is not optimally programmed, this noise occurs.

Loksound 5 and latest Zimo as well as all D&H sound decoders have 16-bit sounds. If this crackle still occurs there, old 8-bit samples were used.

Thats all.

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2