KRModels announce N gauge SHARK ballast brake van

hmrspaul

6 hours ago, Colin_McLeod said:

I'l try to explain using made up numbers to illustrate a point.

Breakeven point to make the wagon viable is (say) 1,000 models sold.

800 customers express their interest.

Unknown to  KR Models, 200 of these customers want 2 wagons and a further 100 customers want 3 wagons. Total number of wagons 1,200 well above the break even point, but remember KR Models dont know this as they are only counting customers.

KR Models make a decision not to proceed as they did not get the 'necessary' 1,000 expressions of interest.

Result; Model not made, 800 disappointed people;  profit from a run of 1,200 wagons missed.

Keith, you have explained the reasoning behind your expression of interest format but I urge you to instead reconsider the format.

Let me explain how we are going with the same numbers.

If 800 customers express interest, to us that looks like we are going to be making roughly 1200 models, give or take a few. 

We know most people will want to order 2, 3 or even 4 models from us. And we have accounted for that. 

We have also factored in the 20%ish of people that will remove their expression, or not place an order despite signing up for the expression. 

If we can hit our target figure of customers, factoring in the above, then the model will be made. If we deem it a risk worth taking, then why shouldn't we.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

44 minutes ago, branchie said:

I'm interested but not willing to fill out an EOI form yet

The EOI shows that interest, we aren't asking for any monetary commitment right now. We just want to see who will buy if we make it.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
  • Moderators
22 minutes ago, Mattc6911 said:

Is the embargo lifted now Andy ?

Yeah, I ceased being too bothered once the ad in Model Rail broke it. 

• Like 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• 1 month later...

I've just put my name down on the list - all of those ballast wagons need a proper brake and with a new layout finally in build I'm not going to make an NGS kit to go with them..

With Hawthorn Dene going on sale by the year end I'm thinning out my loco stock so I'm not in the market for a King.

Les

• Agree 1

• 1 month later...
Guest Half-full
3 minutes ago, Shropshire Lad said:

That's a shame if that is the case. With the Shark I expressed an interest but they have no idea how many I want so I'm not sure how it could be dropped due to a lack of take up.

Cheers Colin

I would imagine that KR would take each expression of interest as a single wagon, its not the type of wagon that multiple people would by multiple amounts, unlike say a 16t mineral.

I guess there just might not be enough people wanting one, possibly those who have wanted one have built the NGS kit?

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Half-full said:

I would imagine that KR would take each expression of interest as a single wagon, its not the type of wagon that multiple people would by multiple amounts, unlike say a 16t mineral.

I guess there just might not be enough people wanting one, possibly those who have wanted one have built the NGS kit?

Possibly, but I would surmise that  a fair proportion would have taken at least a couple, since it's one of the few brakes where you might expect more than one in a consist. (on eat each end of an engineers' train).  That was my thought process, certainly, and I know others are that way inclined as well.

Best

Scott.

Edited by scottystitch
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
28 minutes ago, Shropshire Lad said:

That's a shame if that is the case. With the Shark I expressed an interest but they have no idea how many I want so I'm not sure how it could be dropped due to a lack of take up.

Cheers Colin

Hi Colin,

You make the same point as has been working away in my head...

I know I will want more than one Shark, but that does not help KR to know they will reach the min needed to go ahead.

For instance?

If you look at the EWS period on its own, then you could find the Shark in different liveries - sometimes even different on the same train.

So - come on KR Models - why not do a poll for the different liveries?

Me - A big list!

EWS, Loadhaul, Dutch and Mainline Blue for the EWS period

BR Olive, Black and plain Grey for my earlier period

And that's without looking as specific livery variations!

Thanks

Phil H

• Like 1

I certainly registered my interest in the Shark.  Personally I would like a BR black one but in the interests of reducing the options in the initial run why not choose three.  An early version (BR Black), a middle period livery that could be seen in the 1970-1990 period (Olive?) and finally a current livery (Dutch?).

I do not model the later periods so I am not saying those choices are right.  But if this approach worked you could make 1200 Sharks, with 400 of each livery.

Would that be viable?

Kind regards 

Paddy

• RMweb Gold
33 minutes ago, Colin_McLeod said:

Why not put in a second expression of interest?   Get a friend to do so, so long as you are genuinely wanting two.

That’s a good shout, Colin, and I hate to say not one I’d thought of. 

best

scott

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, John M Upton said:

Just seen elsewhere that this and the N gauge King may be dropped due to lack of interest?  Has the ghost of DJM scared people off?

42 minutes ago, KR Models said:

We have announced nothing of the sort.

Keith, sadly even RMweb has its trolls and fake news.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

Just seen this and signed on the dotted line - certainly two dutch ones for me.   I watched it almost escape last time ! hopefully not dogged this time.  

The Coupler mount  interests me as the rapido  seems to leap out of the plough but no springing or allowance for bends other thank slack in the design of the coupler.  Are you considering a choice of mounts moulded around the plough - plough in NEM pocket mount , plough with nothing for a tail end charlie model , plough sides only and NEM poking in gap?   Would you plan to have these as extras as well please. 

Have fun getting a "long felt want" model to a market.

Robert   

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, KR Models said:

We have announced nothing of the sort.

Many thanks for confirming this.  I shall be correcting he who informed me incorrectly and I have put my name down for a Shark (I actually want two by the way).

• Like 3