2019_07_25+18-59-50.jpeg

My industrial micro layout 'Mollington Road', a mix of all sorts of inspiration including Birkenhead docks, Trafford Park, Southampton docks and Devonport, has been making slow slow slow progress alongside other projects, but with a myriad of Planet Industrials releases planned this year, the layout is needed as a display for shows later in the year so I've been pushing on...

IMG_0159.jpg

The basic premise was a shed/warehouse over the middle siding in a yard area with the third (right) siding in hard standing. A warehouse behind this, and a road access with gatehouse and then some more generic industrial building offices on the right hand side of the layout.

IMG_0152.jpg

These mocks ups were added in stages, the first stage, above was adding the shed building and checking viewing angles and the length of the wall I wanted to separate this from the running line behind (note here, the Kadee under track magnet still in place - later removed as more trouble than good). 

IMG_0162.jpg

IMG_0160.jpg

IMG_0161.jpg

Next up the other buildings were added and some stock arranged to check what sort of angles would be possible. I plan to make the back of the shed open, so it has a detailed interior with brickwork inside already (see later). The angles looked good and promising, and during the process an element of 'playing' proved the concept still had merit for operating from time to time as well!

IMG_0293.jpg

The office building has been replaced with a cut down version of the surgery at Devonport, that used to be by the reception sidings before they were moved requiring it to be demolished in the late 1970s. This is a plasticard core with slaters embossed brickwork on the outside, and extra layers top and bottom to represent the prototype's stepped brickwork. 

IMG_0294.jpg

The shed, as mentioned has a plasticard core with embossed brickwork on the outside and inside - the roof it just balanced in place at the moment. The gate house is just a single skin of embossed plastic, but will be strengthened before a roof is added and more detailing. Next up is the building on the right, a generic bland brick warehouse, and then the brick wall by the shed. I then need to decide on levels, and if required make up the road level in the foreground. More soon, well soonish, hopefully...

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

When I was a youngster, my Dad had a model in his cupboard that I wasn't allowed to use, a Mainline Class 03 - a wonderfully detailed model with separate handrails on the bonnet and lovely smooth slow (albeit noisy) performance... However, by the time I was 12 I remember regularly using his Class 03 on the layout we built together in the garage...

FullSizeRender-775528.jpg

Over the following few years I added the exhauster cabinet (although never the air brake tanks and hoses) and weathered it, and then added red buffer beams and coupling rods to tone down the appearance...

FullSizeRender-778690.jpg

At the time, the Mainline model was a marvel, but 36 years on it doesn't really cut it anymore, enter the revised Bachmann model which has been available for a few years... Now this really does look the part, fine handrails abound, plenty of detail, smooth quiet performance, flush glazing... the only thing I think that lets its down are the screws in the coupling rods!

FullSizeRender-781990.jpg

I was browsing eBay recently and found this model for a very reasonable price and the memory of that childhood model led me to make an offer and I'm now the proud owner of a totally random addition to my collection... 

FullSizeRender-784298.jpg

In the meantime, reflecting on the progress in our hobby, I'm encouraged and excited about what the future holds. I still enjoy the hobby in so many different ways today, just like I did as a child. I'm sure my children will do the same in the future. For so long we've heard about doom and gloom for the future of the hobby, I'm inclined to feel a lot more positive. More soon...

Edited by James Hilton
  • Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I picked up this Heljan Class 07 a few months ago for my micro OO project, the Mollington Road shunting plank, because I'd always wanted an 07 and couldn't resist...

IMG_9784.jpg

However, despite being a lovely runner it was just far too clean! Bright yellow, and the green just seems too dark without a little dirt, so since I was weathering a Hornby Peckett I figured I could work on this in parallel.

IMG_9785.jpg

IMG_9786.jpg

The underframe was washed in 33, 133, 53 and a touch of 100 in the style of Martyn Welch's book... once this was dry I washed the footplate, and picked out details on the body, drops of dirt around the bolt heads and oil leaks around the panel lines based on some photos I bought from Colour Rail.

IMG_9787.jpg

IMG_9788.jpg

It's now looking more in keeping with a work worn but relatively new shunter, and I can't wait to get some ballast and ground cover down on the baseboard to get some better photos. If you'd like me to breathe life into your own 'out of the box' model I will apply a custom weathering finish, combining different techniques, studying prototype photos to create your dream model. Get in touch on the website form, Facebook or a forum message if you'd like your own personal proposal. More soon...

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

Next up, four items all fitted with Kadee couplings destined for Mollington Road. These are all 'period' and 'location' agnostic, but designed to feel right in a 1960s - 1970s setting. One kit, one new ready to run and two old re-worked ready to run from the 1990s. 

IMG_9603.jpg

These pair are from my childhood layout, the 1 plank Lowfit is actually a Mainline model, the Conflat a later Bachmann re-issue. Both have had buffers sanded down to thin them, mould lines carved off and Kadee No.5s fitted. The Lowfit was completely repainted, but both have had a weathered wooden deck carefully applied - quite tricky not to overdo this in 4mm scale after working in 7/8ths for so long this summer!

IMG_9604.jpg

The second pair are a recent Bachmann open wagon, this has simply been weathered and NEM Kadees fitted, alongside a Parkside Vanwide - with a little extra under frame detail and Accurascale buffers, again weathered. Mollington Road will be progressed next, over the winter, into a little shunting plank to play with some of these and the 03 and 07 diesels.

IMG_9605.jpg

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Another model that prompted the micro is decidedly more industrial. 

I designed the Hibberd Planet for Planet Industrials - and the prototype I have has been remotored with a small 8-16 coreless which has improved performance a touch - but I'm also designing a new chassis for the kit, which will features around 100-1 reduction.

FullSizeRender-717677.jpg

The prototype was finished in an austere green with red buffer shanks. The chassis wheels are also painted black, and I've begun the weathering (here you can see the buffer heads, and some where on the buffer beams. In terms of bodywork, the cab glazing has been fitted, very pleasingly flush thanks to the body design in this area. The driver has been posed at the controls and I've added windscreen wipers from cut down staples, so that they have a square section.

FullSizeRender-720174.jpg

FullSizeRender-722758.jpg

This one will probably end up as a full time display model for PI, but I will be building my own 'Devonport' MOD version shortly.

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

30 minutes ago, James Hilton said:

Dave I've not tried removing it! It must be a separate part as I suspect it's a clear plastic moulding that has been painted.

IF it was removable, I'd be tempted to design a replacement with the flatter roof profile of the industrial style Ruston's!

That's exactly what I'm thinking. Replacement cab and etched and bodyside grilles.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been meaning to weather this model for some time, but I'd been waiting for the axle nut covers to arrive before I could finish things off, suffice to say, after a wash, drybrush and airbrush it's finished...

IMG_0488.jpg

It's been a fun model to work on over the past few months - and I've enjoyed working on a kit of someone else's design - it helps keep skills sharp and gives me ideas for when working on my own designs - Michael Edge's kits do seem to fall together if you've a few basic skills under your belt, and they reward careful finishing.

IMG_0489.jpg

I'm a little dissappointed in the long bonnet front windows, I managed to get a little dirt on them when weathering, and when I removed it the glazing frosted up! I managed to clean them up, and then apply a little gloss varnish that took the whiteness back, but they're no longer quite as clear as they were... ho hum, lesson learned for next time.

IMG_0491.jpg

Weathering followed my usual techniques, a wash followed by micro painting, dry brushing and then airbrush to tie the finish together. I'm really happy with the dried puddles on the footplate, they look exactly as I hoped. The subtle fuel staining on the tank filler also works well in the flesh.

IMG_0492.jpg

The buffer beams are scraped and rusty, and the underframe has come to life out of the gloom with the application of some dirt. The handrails also have some rust spots and polish from use... the cab steps up to the doors are well worn, but those on the long bonnet less so, it's little touches like this that I love working into the finish.

IMG_0495.jpg

As well as this, I've also finished off a few more Planet Industrials prototypes this week, so I am excited to share photos of them in the near future. More soon...

Edited by James Hilton
  • Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Gold
On 03/03/2020 at 08:29, James Hilton said:

I've been meaning to weather this model for some time, but I'd been waiting for the axle nut covers to arrive before I could finish things off, suffice to say, after a wash, drybrush and airbrush it's finished...

IMG_0488.jpg

It's been a fun model to work on over the past few months - and I've enjoyed working on a kit of someone else's design - it helps keep skills sharp and gives me ideas for when working on my own designs - Michael Edge's kits do seem to fall together if you've a few basic skills under your belt, and they reward careful finishing.

IMG_0489.jpg

I'm a little dissappointed in the long bonnet front windows, I managed to get a little dirt on them when weathering, and when I removed it the glazing frosted up! I managed to clean them up, and then apply a little gloss varnish that took the whiteness back, but they're no longer quite as clear as they were... ho hum, lesson learned for next time.

IMG_0491.jpg

Weathering followed my usual techniques, a wash followed by micro painting, dry brushing and then airbrush to tie the finish together. I'm really happy with the dried puddles on the footplate, they look exactly as I hoped. The subtle fuel staining on the tank filler also works well in the flesh.

IMG_0492.jpg

The buffer beams are scraped and rusty, and the underframe has come to life out of the gloom with the application of some dirt. The handrails also have some rust spots and polish from use... the cab steps up to the doors are well worn, but those on the long bonnet less so, it's little touches like this that I love working into the finish.

IMG_0495.jpg

As well as this, I've also finished off a few more Planet Industrials prototypes this week, so I am excited to share photos of them in the near future. More soon...

Very nicely done James.

Weathering up to the usual Hilton standards. 

I would be interested in seeing what you could do with an Oxford/Golden Valley Janus. Especially now there's a few bargains to be had. 

Nice project all round by the way and nice story behind the Class 03. 

Cheers, 

Mark

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, James Hilton said:

Thanks Mark!

Here's a pair I prepared earlier...

FullSizeRender-752422.jpg

...DJ models Austerity and Oxford Janus, both that I've repainted and weathered.

Very nice too James. 

Had to have a double take at the Hunslet. I've an Hornby version finished almost identical which I use on Juniper Hill.. :D

Janus looks very smart and the NP works plates certainly lift it. 

Any progress on the layout recently. 

Cheers, 

Mark

• 4 weeks later...

I've made a concerted effort to stay focussed for once, and rather than head off down another layout plan, I'm going to finish Mollington Road, as for now, I genuinely can't envisage having space for anything OO that's larger...

So with this in mind, and with some inspiration from other modellers I dug it out of the under stairs cupboard and reviewed where things had been left. Last time it was out I'd mocked up where I planned roads and made a start on some structures.

IMG_0706.jpg

The current state is shown here, although I'd not placed the other buildings. I decided I needed to bring the level of the road area up to the rail height if possible. I found a piece of suitable MDF and cut this to fit, glued and sealed the gaps with acrylic filler. Once dry I mixed up some Woodland Scenics 'smooth it' in quite a watery consistency. Sealing the edge with some tape, I then poured it carefully over and between the rails, spreading it gently with a knife and leaving it to dry.

IMG_0710.jpg

Smooth it is basically plaster, and it's nicer to work with than interior filler where you need a smooth road surface, I'd definitely recommend it in this use - although a large area you might be better just buying bog standard plaster of paris.

IMG_0711.jpg

It does dry with a rounded edge, but this is easily smoothed off...

The clearance or flanges on the crossing was achieved with some plastic check rails set below the level of the metal rails. The rails in the yard won't have as much train traffic so I made a tool from styrene that runs along the rails and cuts a groove in the 'green' plaster - when it's set but not dry - allowing clearance for rolling stock flanges. This looks neater than an over width check rail.

Once dry enough to handle I marked out the roads in pencil and fabricated some curb stones out of wood, before filling behind these with interior filler. I also added styrene tube as a culvert and smoothed the edges of this with more interior filler. This is now all drying, and I've placed some stock and buildings to check the angles - excuse the radiator back-scene!

IMG_0716.jpg

These feature my Dad's old Mainline 03 and a Cambrian Herring I also put together this weekend...

IMG_0717.jpg

IMG_0718.jpg

Some of these are very effective despite the small scene, and show the advantage of a micro layout. I can't wait to add a proper road surface and begin to add some ground cover. One final shot showing the state of place from a birds eye view, which shows how that despite it being still all the wrong colours, by adding defined road area and curbs, the layout has gone from being some track on a  board and the other half seeming really bare, to an overall scene.

IMG_0719.jpg

More soon...

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 2 weeks later...

It's been a productive weekend of modelling, I've managed to have a holiday from commission work and focus purely on my own projects and it's been a real tonic. It's also been nice to exchange a few messages with good modelling friends, a welcome distraction from the situation in the real world...

IMG_0040.jpg

Mollington Road, my small micro OO layout, has made visible progress - the track is ballasted and the weathering process has started and I've finally made some ground on the buildings. These were built a month or so ago, but they're the least favourite part of model making for me... so I struggle a bit to get on with them. However, they're beginning to show real progress - I'm particular pleased with the surgery building, which passes as any sort of industrial structure in this setting. This has a real charm and character that you can't get with using kits or ready to plant structures.

IMG_0041.jpg

The shed in the background, the old Transit in the foreground with it's wheels set on an angle, I'm getting excited about finishing this in the coming months - it should prove a great back drop for photos, but equally, I've had a very pleasant time operating - it's so simple but shuttling wagons back and forth and switching their order or position is good fun.

IMG_0042.jpg

The gatehouse, seen here, is supposed to be a sliding window, I will add some slight interior and a sign in the window - I need to work out the road surfaces, what will be tarmac what will be concrete, as well as some sort of gate!

IMG_0043.jpg

The view along the line makes it look longer than it is - the idea will be this will be more overgrown than the works spur, but still in good nick. I'm taking inspiration from Trafford Park with this layout, so that's the aim - if it evokes a little of that, mixed in with Devonport I'll be happy! More soon...

• Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

I’ve been following this thread since the start, looking forward to seeing the finished layout, wish I had the motivation to start all my layout plans instead of stashing stock in boxes, keep up the great work.

ben

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Hope it does go to show that you don't need a big project to work on something relatively serious. I'm glad you two have found it interesting, I do hope I gives a nudge... if I cam help at all let me know and ask any questions. I do build models for a living, and have designed and built more micros than I care to admit!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

The thing about micro layouts is often they're a little limited on scenic depth. However, by working with nearer squares rather than the more usual longer rectangles, I hope in my previous micro layouts, especially in 006.5, I've shown you can get real atmosphere in a very small space. Mollington Road uses the same under bed blanket box storage container as both Vowchurch and Creech Grange, and I'm really pleasantly surprised at how much there is in such a small space...

IMG_0177.jpg

This shot, along the road from the head shunt in the track plan looking towards the rail served yard shows real promise despite unfinished surfaces everywhere. This weekend I focused on painting the brick buildings that needed embedding in the road, so the office on the left and the surgery on the right are now 'finished' and bedded in with plaster. Still to add a detailed roof and gutters to both...

image.png.385bf4ff4137646dbc70245ac7ca45c1.png

I've also been playing with other scenic details, you can see the concrete panel fence beyond the surgery in the above photos, which works well but may need finer barbed wire - along with the sign on the warehouse by the transit, see above. This is just paper, to check it's size, there is a typo too, but the real one will be a transfer, and I plan to do a sheet of similar signs for industrial modellers in the Planet Industrials range. 

The fresh smell of talc, oh how lovely (!) Gordon Gravett's technique is both smelly and messy, but I was keen to try out the technique to produce a realistic road...

image.png.3de9af84d9a2e2c5263fde2fc34c00c7.png

With the buildings embedded last week, I set about painting the road and beginning to add a finish. I dug out holes for the manholes before painting liberally and smoothly with Satin 125. I used neat  gloss black stippled on for the fresh tarmac between the manhole covers.

IMG_0211.jpg

On top of this was dusted talc liberally though a piece of old stocking, an old odd one from the bottom of Janey's draw, the place smelt like I don't know what and I was covered in white powder but the result was worth it. Once dry after a few hours the excess was vacuumed off, and then brushed with a decorating brush to bring back the colour. It looks subtle, varied, smooth yet rough, and ties the cambers and road features I'd worked into the plaster very nicely indeed. More soon...

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

I've had the chance to do more work on Mollington Road this weekend, which has been focused on the ground cover and textures of the landscape before I begin work on the last two buildings...

IMG_0254.jpg

The first step was to add some static grass as a foundation to further scenic work. To prepare the ground some emulsion paint was first applied, sprinkled with dry dirt from outside and when dry further emulsion stippled over the top. On top of this Green Scenes 'scenic cement' was brushed into place where I wanted the grass to stick, which was deliberately a bit scrubby to leave gaps through to bare earth.

IMG_0253.jpg

Green Scenes 2mm fibres (summer and autumn green mixed randomly) were applied with just a puffer bottle, perfect for this size of layout and length of fibre. When dry I added some extra grass using Peco scenic cement spray. I teased out some postiche, like Gordon Gravett recommends, added a touch more scenic cement spray and then applied this to the ground, adding a bit more spray and then sprinkling with some scatter...

IMG_0255.jpg

This seemed to work quite nicely, so I added a few more areas, this front side of the track (behind is just loose whilst I was testing colours. I found that adding some Woodland Scenics burnt grass foliage under the scatter also added a little relief.

IMG_0256.jpg

This greening up made me realise I probably should finish off the concrete area of the yard before going any further. I used Humbrol 64 and 110 and dusted with yet more talc...

IMG_0257.jpg

...before adding some darker and lighter patches. These were stippled on through a mask, cut from some card, and then more talc added. When it all dried I used a pencil to add edges to these, and to draw in some panel lines between cast sections.

IMG_0258.jpg

Finally, a touch of glue along the edges in places, and adding some more static grass with the puffer bottle. Here the Planet Industrials Sentinel, which still needs some airbrushed dirt adding, is posed on the yard, showing the potential of the micro again... mind, I'll need to add a removable back to the shed, otherwise it may be lit up like this, unrealistically from inside...

IMG_0261.jpg

It's been a good weekend for progress, and with home schooling making work progress very slow I may well end up finding more time for it this week as well. I hope everyone is well, STAY HOME and stay safe, more soon...

• Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• 2 weeks later...

A small layout like Mollington Road allows steady progress, and yesterday, with the kids in meltdown at various points work was almost impossible, however, my I did manage a few little jobs on Mollington Road throughout the day...

IMG_0358.jpg

The shed now has a roof, made from Slaters '7mm' corrugated plasticard, edged in plain styrene and painted light grey - this will be weathered shortly. Inside the shed I've mocked up a few tools and equipment, these need painting and weathering. Once the shed is done I will fix it down so that the gap disappears.

IMG_0359.jpg

The brick wall now has a pair of barbed wires along the top, inspired by a photo of the engine shed at Slough Estates. This is in 5A fuse wire, wrapped around posts of 0.5mm wire and painted. I added a few strips to the top of one part of the gate to check it would work on that too, which it does, so I've ordered some more as I'd run out!

IMG_0362.jpg

Finally I've added a 'WHISTLE' sign on the main track, as a warning to road traffic at the crossing. This needs some long grass growing around the posts now - I'll work out the best way to do that today. Whilst the paint is hardening on the shed I will make some progress on the warehouse building and concrete panel fence today. More soon...

IMG_0363.jpg

• Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

It's all coming together nicely James. 

Great attention to detail as ever and very atmospheric. 

Cheers, 

Mark

• 3 weeks later...