Alternative decoders for Bachmann Class 90

NS Peak

Hello,  

I have given in to temptation and bought a Bachmann Class 90.  It’s a thing of beauty, but I am now looking to install a decoder.  I know that Bachmann sell a decoder specially configured for the servo driving the pantograph, but I was wondering what alternative decoders could I use instead.

there must be other decoders or possible CV settings that could be tweaked to possibly do the same thing as the Bachmann decoder.  I am not thinking of sound yet as my budget is stretched.  But can anyone suggest alternatives or do I now need to spend a further 33 quid or so on the Bachmann decoder?

thanks for your help

Stephen

The Bachmann decoder specially configured for the Class 90, catalogue number 36-569, is made by Zimo, one of the best DCC decoder manufacturers.

Any alternative is likely to be at best equal to the task, but more likely, inferior.

Stick with that recommended decoder.

• Agree 1

As with non-sound, you need a decoder which fits the socket, and can support servo control on the logic-level outputs.   Two main players, ESU and Zimo, both offer servo control if appropriately configured in the sound project loaded onto the decoder, or with end-user CV changes.

Hello,  I did not know the Bachmann chip was Zimo product.  

I am curious though which chips are available that come with servo control or are capable to have it enabled also picking up on Philips question on which sound decoders could be used.

Thanks

Stephen

On 17/02/2020 at 22:17, Ron Ron Ron said:

The Bachmann decoder specially configured for the Class 90, catalogue number 36-569, is made by Zimo, one of the best DCC decoder manufacturers.

Any alternative is likely to be at best equal to the task, but more likely, inferior.

At Glasgow and Alexandra Palace shows we will be demonstrating the inferior legomanbiffo ESU product with all of the following completely useless features, none of which were recorded from a real loco at Norwich Crown Point such as 90012 Royal Anglian Regiment, to pick one entirely at random. The pantograph and lights appear to work faultlessly whilst under the control of this obviously inferior product.

90012 Royal Anglian Regiment

F0 Directional Lights.

F1 Drive On/Off

F2 Playable High Note Horn

F3 Playable Low Note Horn

F4 Buffering up (When Moving)

F4 Uncoupling Hook Sounds (When Stationary)

F5 Playable Active Brake Application (When Moving)

F5 Brake Dump (When Stationery)

F6 Drivers door slam

F7 Compressor

F8 Random Mk3 Door Slams

F9 Automatic Flange/Wheel Squeal

F10 Despatch Whistle

F11 Guard to Driver 'Right of Way signal' Buzzer with optional reply

F12 Night Time Running Mode (Headlights)

F13 Sanders

F14 Nuetral Section

F15 Spirax Valves

F16 Mk3 coach wail

F17 Directional 'AutoFade' Cab Lights

F18 Speed Dependant, Flash Enabled Detonators

F19 Headlights: Train Mode, Train at No1 End

F20 Headlights: Train Mode, Train at No2 End

CV Changable Horns:   

We have a choice of two horn sets (CV155=0 for Set 1 OR CV155=1 for Set 2)

Headlights:  

Use F0   (Only) When running Light Engine.(F0 must be off when hauling a train)

Use F19 (Only) when working with a Legmanbiffo Sound Enabled DVT at No1 End)

Use F20 (Only) when working with a Legmanbiffo Sound Enabled DVT at No2 End)

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 3

23 minutes ago, charliepetty said:

At Glasgow and Alexandra Palace shows we will be demonstrating the inferior legomanbiffo ESU product with all of the following completely useless features, none of which were recorded from a real loco at Norwich Crown Point such as 90012 Royal Anglian Regiment, to pick one entirely at random. The pantograph and lights appear to work faultlessly whilst under the control of this obviously inferior product.

I am no expert but I think I detect just the slightest hint of sarcasm in this post? ;)

Edited by royaloak
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Yup, don't want any inferior products do we? ;)

I have used both Charlie's ESU chips and Zimo ones for specific reasons in each case. I've yet to have a problem with either.

@charliepetty Thanks for the heads-up regarding your chip - but will there be any work needed to fit a superior quality speaker?

Cheers,

Philip

• 2 weeks later...

Well I bit the bullet and picked up the zimo chip at my kind of local model shop,  there is something enormously satisfying about watching the pantograph go up and down at the push of a button.  I just need to remember to unclip it.   Thanks for all the responses.

stephen  

On 19/02/2020 at 11:19, Philou said:

@charliepetty Thanks for the heads-up regarding your chip - but will there be any work needed to fit a superior quality speaker?

I was happy with the included speakers. I don't think a class 90 is too demanding in this respect. This made it really east to install the decoder.

I was glad I fitted them straight away (& also that I bought 2) because 1 of my locos had a fault with the speaker: it sounded very thin, as though it was not sealed properly. If I had not bought 2, I would have assumed the speaker was cheap & poor quality instead of faulty.

It also developed a problem with its pantograph, so the model went back to Bachmann via the retailer to fix both faults.

• Like 1

• 4 years later...
On 17/02/2020 at 22:17, Ron Ron Ron said:

Hello Ron,

I've installed the Bachmann 36-569A decoder to my Bachmann 90041 loco, and am adding it to my JMRI Roster.

JMRI detects it as a ZIMO but offers 5 possible models:

MX634 Version 40+

MX634C Version 40+

MX634D Version 40+

MX634F Version 40+

MX634R Version 40+

Would you (or anyone else) know which one is the most suitable candidate?

Or does it matter?

Many thanks

D

6 hours ago, Damo666 said:

………JMRI detects it as a ZIMO but offers 5 possible models:

MX634 Version 40+

MX634C Version 40+

MX634D Version 40+

MX634F Version 40+

MX634R Version 40+

Or does it matter?

The suffix letters denote the type of connector interface for the particular model of decoder (MX634 in this case).

No suffix - wires no plug

C - 21-pin (special type with logic level outputs)

D - 21-pin

F -  6-pin on wires

R -  8-pin on wires

All versions of the same MX634.

As Kaput points out, Bachmann say MX634C as the Class 90 has a 21-pin connector.

Edited by Ron Ron Ron
  • Thanks 1

On 14/04/2024 at 12:44, Damo666 said:

Hello Ron,

I've installed the Bachmann 36-569A decoder to my Bachmann 90041 loco, and am adding it to my JMRI Roster.

JMRI detects it as a ZIMO but offers 5 possible models:

MX634 Version 40+

MX634C Version 40+

MX634D Version 40+

MX634F Version 40+

MX634R Version 40+

Or does it matter?

Many thanks

D

This is the first time I have heard ESU decoders being described as 'inferior', the LokPilot Non sound decoder if very good, operates all the featires and is around £15.00 cheaper it would appear!!, did'nt realise Zimo decoders were so expensive.  A Legomanbiffo  sound decoder is only another £70.00!!!

SEE:  https://www.dckits-devideos.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&path=68&product_id=286

1 hour ago, charliepetty said:

This is the first time I have heard ESU decoders being described as 'inferior', the LokPilot Non sound decoder if very good, operates all the featires and is around £15.00 cheaper it would appear!!, did'nt realise Zimo decoders were so expensive.  A Legomanbiffo  sound decoder is only another £70.00!!!

SEE:  https://www.dckits-devideos.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&path=68&product_id=286

Hi Charlie,

In quoting me in your post, where did I say that ESU decoders were inferior?

My limited knowledge of decoders would suggest they are anything but.