LB&SCR Saxby & Farmer Signal Box

I want to scratch build a 4mm scale model, probably using a combination of printed card brick and slate with plastic components. Can anyone advise where I can obtain some measured drawings to work from?

I'm aware of the kit produced by ABM Railcraft a few years ago and that's the level of detail I want to aim for but this kit doesn't appear to be obtainable any longer unless anyone knows better. There's also the wonderful laser printed kit based on Isfield box which is tempting but I quite fancy a scratch challenge

If you do get any drawings would you like to share them as I need to build two. One for the signal box at Rowfant and one for the gate box at Grange road. The two boxes are the same but the Rowfant box was built part underground, I had one of the ABM kits but it got destroyed in a move. I have tried to contact Alan at ABM as he lived close to me in Yate but to no avail.

Keith

"A pictorial Record of Southern Signals" by the late George Pryer, (OPC) has scale drawings of Drayton on page 116 and Bedhampton (strictly a "Brighton" design) on page 115.  As far as I am aware, the kit you refer to was based on the former.

The drawings were done by my good friend Graham Bowring from on-site measurements.  Although long out of print, copies are often available on-line.

Hope that helps,

Howard.

• Like 1

One problem with LBSCR signal boxes is that no two seem to be exactly the same. Signal Box Register Volume 4 Southern Railway gives dimensions for almost all ex-LBSC boxes, and, to quote the examples noted earlier, Rowfant box was 14' x 10' x 4' - the last dimension being the height of the operating floor above rail level - and Grange Road was 14' x 12' x 5'. Members of the Brighton Circle tried to establish "standard" sizes for windows to create an universal etching, but the project fell apart as there did not appear any viable common denominator.  D&S have produced etchings for one type of LBSC box windows, side and end, but it was easier to design the box around the available windows than to follow an actual example.

The Signal Box, also from the Signalling Record Society, has some useful drawings, although the LBSC example is not an S and F design.

The box at Rowfant survived the closure of the line, although I think it has been demolished now, so it is likely that there are plenty of photos of it around, and Ian White exhibited a 4mm layout based closely on Rowfant at many shows in the south-east.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
23 hours ago, Nick Holliday said:

The box at Rowfant survived the closure of the line, although I think it has been demolished now, so it is likely that there are plenty of photos of it around, and Ian White exhibited a 4mm layout based closely on Rowfant at many shows in the south-east.

Unfortunately long since demolished; picture can be found here: -

https://www.flickr.com/photos/31890193@N08/9517782201

Edited by jafcreasey

• 1 year later...
27 minutes ago, KeithHC said:

I wish I could get one as well even a photo copied version of the sheets then I could build a scratch built one or in fact I need two.

Keith

I think that the ABM kit is one that I have.  I will check next week and get back to you Keith.

Did you see my other messages?

23 minutes ago, Keepingtouch said:

I think that the ABM kit is one that I have.  I will check next week and get back to you Keith.

Did you see my other messages?

Just the one above. It’s a pity ABM disappeared especially as he was just down the road from me at the time.

Keith

• Agree 1