More new wagons...

Just heard from friends in the Calais area that there are a number of new bogie opens that will be crossing in the next day or two. Finished in a smart maroon livery, they have the owner's name, TOUAX, in large script; a change to some of the recent arrivals, which are loathe to be identified. I wonder what traffic they're intended for?

• Agree 1

On 18/02/2020 at 15:05, Fat Controller said:

They're quite an old design, with the advantage of being built like a brick out-house. The photos I saw had 'TOUAX' in large characters towards the left-hand end.

The JNAs aren't that old, the first MRL ones were delivered early 2017, the first of the design (Ermewa / Tarmac) were the summer before from memory.

I believe this Touax batch are the ones to be Mendip bound.

Found a pic online

https://flic.kr/p/2iu3uQb

Jo

Edited by Steadfast

I saw a rake of these wagons at Willesden this morning when passing on a Pendolino.

Maroon body with Touax in large yellow lettering. Looking brand new - nice comparison with some of the graffitied wagons in trainloads there. My attention was initially drawn to a pair of Freightliner 86s on a train. The Touax train was further north in the yard. 

Edited by MidlandRed

3 hours ago, Steadfast said:

The JNAs aren't that old, the first MRL ones were delivered early 2017, the first of the design (Ermewa / Tarmac) were the summer before from memory.

I believe this Touax batch are the ones to be Mendip bound.

Found a pic online

https://flic.kr/p/2iu3uQb

Jo

The design has been used on mainland Europe for a long while; the UIC Code is Eaos, I think. 

The news article I linked to above, says that this particular order is for 55 new open wagons (the JNA's spotted)  and 40 new hopper wagons, which presumably will follow on later?

Images in the link....

https://www.railfreight.com/business/2019/07/31/touax-orders-95-freight-wagons-for-mendip-rail/?gdpr=accept&gdpr=accept

• Like 1

Ealnos was first used on the IOA Mussels built for Network Rail in the 2000s. It also applies to the Freightliner MWA boxes built recently to a different design, and I think, the IEA Falcons.

The wagons being discussed were first introduced in 2016. They are a new design from Astra Rail in Romania, riding on LN25 bogies.

Eanos (notice the lack of 'l' in the middle) is a common code on European wagons, these are longer than the UK spec Ealnos. Usual bogie is a Y25 or derivative. 

These codes do not relate to one specific build of wagon, they are a spec that different wagon builders can build to which ensures commonality of dimensions and specifications within a fleet even with builds 20 years apart for example.

Jo

• Informative/Useful 2

11 hours ago, Steadfast said:

Ealnos was first used on the IOA Mussels built for Network Rail in the 2000s. It also applies to the Freightliner MWA boxes built recently to a different design, and I think, the IEA Falcons.

The wagons being discussed were first introduced in 2016. They are a new design from Astra Rail in Romania, riding on LN25 bogies.

Eanos (notice the lack of 'l' in the middle) is a common code on European wagons, these are longer than the UK spec Ealnos. Usual bogie is a Y25 or derivative. 

These codes do not relate to one specific build of wagon, they are a spec that different wagon builders can build to which ensures commonality of dimensions and specifications within a fleet even with builds 20 years apart for example.

Jo

The l appears to mean they are "non tippable"

Although compared to TOPS codes they give more information about the wagon they are far from descriptive of a particular design/batch.

Wikipedia gives a good over view and a link to the UIC site itself.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UIC_classification_of_goods_wagons

Paul

• Agree 1