NER P7 hoppers

Good morning all from a damp Surrey,

I suspect, like many other modellers, that there are many building rakes of ex-NER P7 20T hoppers being built.

I have a rake under construction in instalments, as it’s soul destroying bending and fitting the handrails.

I am looking for a little variety in the models. Tatlow shows several with end brake levers, and mentions that these were for the Central Division (ex-S&D).

I am wondering if these end brake examples found their way into trains of side brake hoppers, or were they kept to trains of wholly end braked hoppers?

Thane of Fife

The commonsense thought would be that unless they were all on fixed circuits, mine to staithes or major industrial customer; then a proportion of this design would have 'dispersed' to wherever their discharge point might be, mixed with whatever other wagons were on that route, and likewise then be worked back empty in 'mixed company' to whatever marshalling yard organised their dispatch for loading at the pits.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thane of Fife,

The etch I do allows the following variants:

- outside W irons

- anti friction wheels

- end brakes

- side brakes (improved from the Slaters kit)

The antifriction gear was not a success, so might not have made it to the LNER era and the outside W irons were also eliminated from use relatively early.

There was certainly some mixing of stock and as you say, a whole rake of the same will be abit boring.

These are the blog posts I have done on the ones I have built.

https://highlandmiscellany.com/2014/12/29/ner-hoppers/

https://highlandmiscellany.com/2015/01/02/ner-hoppers-part-2-liveries/

The NER did experiment with different types of bottom doors as well though these were the same design as the P7 they were given different diagram numbers in both the P and U sections of the diagram book. The NERA can supply copies of the diagram book.

Marc

On 18/02/2020 at 11:26, Thane of Fife said:

Good morning all from a damp Surrey,

I suspect, like many other modellers, that there are many building rakes of ex-NER P7 20T hoppers being built.

I have a rake under construction in instalments, as it’s soul destroying bending and fitting the handrails.

I am looking for a little variety in the models. Tatlow shows several with end brake levers, and mentions that these were for the Central Division (ex-S&D).

I am wondering if these end brake examples found their way into trains of side brake hoppers, or were they kept to trains of wholly end braked hoppers?

Thane of Fife

In BR days they were quite widely distributed, you get them in coke trains to the Cumbrian blast furnaces and working in and out of the County Durham collieries and mixed into the normal P7s doing the rounds of the Teesside ironworks...so mix and match your hearts content!

You can waste hours of your life looking for them...

https://britainfromabove.org.uk/en/image/EAW038879  

One of each at Tanfield...

Coal hoppers at Marley Hill, Tanfield Railway

1 hour ago, G567281 said:

EE Type 3’s hauled mixed rake trains containing P7 hoppers in the early 60’s through Thornaby station into Tees yard and you would see a lot in the yards at ICI Billingham.  Ref:  BRM booklet on headcodes many years ago by John Emerson.

There is a photo in Transport Age of ICI Haverton Hill (Billingham) showing a view of the yard with these in ICI internal use.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 02/03/2020 at 04:08, G567281 said:

EE Type 3’s hauled mixed rake trains containing P7 hoppers in the early 60’s through Thornaby station into Tees yard and you would see a lot in the yards at ICI Billingham.  Ref:  BRM booklet on headcodes many years ago by John Emerson.

Now that’s a photo I’d like to see...

• 4 months later...