Class 37/5 and Class 37/7 visual differences

TravisM

• RMweb Gold

I’m thinking about buying a Bachmann Class 37/5 and get it resprayed and renumbered as DRS 37716 in its current form.  Are there any obvious detail differences between the two sub classes?  

The only difference between the two I’m aware of is that Class 37/7’s were fitted with extra ballast weights, hence the nickname “heavyweights” but when they were refurbished, there was virtually nothing to distinguish between the two.  Can anyone confirm this or were there noticeable differences?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, bazjones1711 said:

I think you will find that on a class 37 / 7 they have the body side windows filled in but not on the class 37/5 , have a quick check on google should confirm this , hope this helps .

I should have mentioned that I’ve been offered a brand new Bachmann 32-392 37688 Kingmoor TMD for £80 which I think is a good price.

1 hour ago, bazjones1711 said:

I think you will find that on a class 37 / 7 they have the body side windows filled in but not on the class 37/5 , have a quick check on google should confirm this , hope this helps .

In addition the nose grilles were missing the dividing bar on some of the later rebuilds which tended to be 37/7s so you will need to look at photos of your chosen prototype.  Also roofs were different depending on whether the donor loco was built before or after 37096.

£80 is a good price but theissue you have is 37688 is a centre head code model and 37716 is an ex split box so nose and cab roof are both different,  if you want to do 37716 your best bet is to start with an ex split box machine with the right details and get it repeated unfortunately.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

I'm pretty sure Bachmann have not done a refurbished, Darlington built 37/7.

The nearest/best that I can find is 37706, which would have the correct bodyshell apart from the cantrail grills (not a difficult addition). As 37114 mentioned, the nose grills would also need to be checked too.

This model also has the advantage of being fairly easy to get hold of; unlike some of the other limited editions which would also fit the bill, but are as rare as a punctual Northern service.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

37688 has roof mounted horns.

You would need to remove the horns, fill the cavity.

A split box 37/0 has different grills on the nose sides to a refurb 37.

tbh £80 is about the rate for a Bachmann 37 second hand now, with a new contender on the horizon..indeed a lot more 37’s will come to the market the closer we get to A-day, Much like class 66’s a price between £60 and £80 will probably become the norm.

On the basis I’d wait for another refurb 37/5 or 37/7 to come your way.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1