Spring 2020 BRM

Howard Smith

• Moderators

Has Spring sprung? We'd like to think so after the recent stormy weather, but if you need a little Spring fix, here it is in glorious 164-page format. Packed with four quality model railways in 2mm:1ft and 4mm:1ft scales and with a distinctive Capital theme throughout, there are many ideas that can be borrowed from this issue to use on your model of a large city or county town.

Download this issue from 10.00 on Friday February 21, 2020 at www.pocketmags.com/BRM

In this episode of BRM TV...

• Hornsey Broadway
  • How to install dropper wires on your layout
  • Build a London taxi shelter kit

BRM_DVD_Jacket_Spring.jpg.f429367d3ab98f1bd2304647a282629e.jpg

IN THIS ISSUE

cover.jpg.2f071b4a4e502d8bfa2f50f1655b771d.jpg

LAYOUTS

Hornsey Broadway (EM)

1759969035_HornseyBroadway.jpg.612637409a9c8763f31eea784c16abef.jpg

Lightermans Yard (2FS)

974415545_LightermansYard.jpg.adb2f8e7f87f1168e90dc94fed830a42.jpg

Rossiter Rise (OO)

752113692_rossiterrise.jpg.347232061390c7f823cbb7da24ef9ef5.jpg

Melangoose (OO)

Melangoose.jpg.95979712c78b1ba9c4b5eafff9b53d57.jpg

PRACTICAL BRM

How to build a battery locomotive

Underground_locomotive.jpg.47c9c31374dd41ec08d88fade883f399.jpg

How to optimise layout lighting

lighting.jpg.c19bb6e5b2978b702b629957db2a9ead.jpg

Wiring for DCC explained

416356006_RuncornSaltUnion.jpg.ffcc624731db9542f88ea922d70fb4e6.jpg

How to make a Portakabin kit

Portakabin.jpg.9148aeba1385b37072e2995c3f048aea.jpg

PRODUCTS AND FEATURES

Latest news

Model layouts of London – we pick our favourites

1484305528_LayoutsofLondon.jpg.e0fa2dca9ceb6910db556b2c2ceb8422.jpg

Give your layout the London look

1608397663_Getthelondonlook.jpg.465c8f1b01306442ac3e32af1645a7c8.jpg

How Thomas the Tank was created

562750151_IsleofSodor.jpg.bff7d264db8d26119cdafadaa7866209.jpg

Thomas.jpg.554cb1d90b9e51382b7ae77372520e9f.jpg

Review: Bachmann Class 158/159

1017094806_Class158.jpg.ee5c1f0ccfa154646f0eaf2e61118fb6.jpg

Review: Heljan Class 03

03.jpg.f1c0140d1c2f85a1c52a56633737a6d6.jpg

Review: Accurascale PFA wagons

Accurascale.jpg.0f94097f14ea3861db7973aa7a452c31.jpg

Plus Bachmann Class 24/1

Prototype Inspiration: BSC Bogie Tipplers and their coil conversions (as arriving in model form from Accurascale)

BSC.jpg.965ec13bd82ad95613ed8122e3d0f877.jpg

BRMA Winners announced!

New books

Download this issue from 10.00 on Friday February 21, 2020 at www.pocketmags.com/BRM

• Like 3

• Howard Smith unlocked, pinned and featured this topic
  • RMweb Gold

Fab issue, well done to everyone involved with its production.

Being a London boy born in the late 60s, it bought back many childhood memories of BR around ‘the smoke’ :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• Moderators
6 hours ago, john new said:

Can the name of the wire stripper tool shown in the DVD be posted please. Buying one would  be useful, but you can’t glean the make from the images.

Hi John,

I think that one was a Lidl 'Powerfix' special, but many others are available, including from some model manufacturers, like DCCconcepts. It also has a crimp function for crushing terminals onto the wires. Hope this helps...

H

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Howard Smith said:

Hi John,

I think that one was a Lidl 'Powerfix' special, but many others are available, including from some model manufacturers, like DCCconcepts. It also has a crimp function for crushing terminals onto the wires. Hope this helps...

H

Thanks. will keep a look out. I have the DCC concepts recommended one but find I still end up cutting through the wire too often! My very old Draper one is now getting blunt so it is a tool that needs replacing anyway. Will have a good look round at Ally Pally as I'm there all weekend with the SLS stand.

• RMweb Premium
On 24/02/2020 at 09:12, BRMDesign said:

Hello!

Have just re-linked the video, it should now all be working for you :rolleyes:

I’m now getting video unavailable from page 90. The first couple of videos which I watched successfully last week are still playing ok so sounds like the same issue gazzaday posted about on Monday 

• Administrators
9 hours ago, Dragonboy said:

I’m now getting video unavailable from page 90. The first couple of videos which I watched successfully last week are still playing ok so sounds like the same issue gazzaday posted about on Monday 

You'll need to download the issue again to get the updates.

• Moderators
11 hours ago, Dragonboy said:

Just tried that Phil but getting the same message for videos after page 90. 

I've just tested from our end in the office and can confirm the videos work. If re-downloading still doesn't work, perhaps it's internet conection-related?

If you're still struggling, can I suggest you contact Pocketmags at: help@pocketmags.com ? They'll be able to advise from a technical point of view.

H

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Howard Smith said:

I've just tested from our end in the office and can confirm the videos work. If re-downloading still doesn't work, perhaps it's internet conection-related?

If you're still struggling, can I suggest you contact Pocketmags at: help@pocketmags.com ? They'll be able to advise from a technical point of view.

H

Will do Howard thanks.

It’s interesting that everything before page 90 works fine and if it’s internet related I’d hazard a guess that I’d just see

the buffering rather than getting the message that the video was unavailable.  I will contact Pocketmags as you suggest but past experiences have all ended up with them telling me to contact you! 

I was especially pleased with the main dvd this month as I’ve only seen Hornsey Broadway once, but I could only see the top bits as I wasn’t tall enough to see into the trough so that was greatly appreciated.

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, Dragonboy said:

Will do Howard thanks.

It’s interesting that everything before page 90 works fine and if it’s internet related I’d hazard a guess that I’d just see

the buffering rather than getting the message that the video was unavailable.  I will contact Pocketmags as you suggest but past experiences have all ended up with them telling me to contact you! 

I was especially pleased with the main dvd this month as I’ve only seen Hornsey Broadway once, but I could only see the top bits as I wasn’t tall enough to see into the trough so that was greatly appreciated.

If we've messed up in the past and made a mistake with the digital edition, that makes sense...

Glad you enjoyed the DVD - we've Andy to thank for the layout footage this month.

Hope it gets fixed - feel free to PM with progress until resolved.

H

• RMweb Premium

Spring has not sprung up here in Scotland but nevertheless another great edition . I think this is now the third in a row BRM I've bought . Its the layouts that are attracting me at the moment , but there's also some great reading in it . I'm really coming round to the layout of articles . Having see Hornsey Broadway at Model Rail Scotland  it was a no brainer to buy this edition of BRM and you've certainly done it justice , no less than 14 pages of coverage , when a lot of other mags would have done 6.   Having taken pics of the layout last week with varying success (ok failure) I can appreciate the great pics in the article . Curiously my favourite isn't of the trains but of the townscene on P40/41 Great depth of field there.  And I have still more to read Lightermans Yard looks equally appealing  and also looking forward to reading about Thomas the Tank!

Even better , of course , is that Hornsey features on the DVD free with mag . Quite an impressive package for £4.75.   Following on from Hornsey, enjoyed Phils piece on the taxi café . Great demonstration on how to do window panes .

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 2

I'd like to thank Andy York personally for the photographs he took of Hornsey Broadway and the video footage he put together for this edition of BRM.... it's a real credit to him.

I'm still working my way through the magazine, with the rest of the content being informative and very entertaining. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Have bought this issue, don't regularly buy BRM, purely on the strength of Hornsey Broadway article and the accompanying DVD, but I'm disappointed.......

Playback of the DVD on a stand alone DVD player (Panasonic DMR-EZ27EB) is quite choppy. Seems to skip frames about every 1.5s, most prevalent in pan shots.

This is only time I've experienced this with BRM TV discs; indeed I've just checked with another one and the problem doesn't manifest.

Anyone else had this or a similar situation?

Any suggestions to resolve this problem, can't find any settings on player that remedy it?

Don't have an alternative player on which to try it.

In hope,

Andy.

Edited by leopardml2341