Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Rails On Deck!

While you navally inclined folks might well already be aware, it has recently come to my attention that certain IJN destroyers had, of all things, narrow gauge railways on their decks! This was in the interest of moving torpedoes, and in light of its manifestly fascinating and peculiar nature, I wonder if anyone has any more details?

Pictures here:

https://www.amazon.com/InfiniBand-destroyer-torpedo-carrying-IMP3525/dp/B07CHXJGF9

https://www.shapeways.com/product/UHXTXL98Z/1-96-ijn-610-mm-24in-type-93-torpedo-tubes

• RMweb Gold

That must have been fun on a winter patrol in the North Pacific...  Mind, if you timed the waves and the pitching of the ship right I suppose you could have run a regular interval gravity powered shuttle service!

The big German 'Leopold' type railway guns had narrow gauge railway on board to assist with shell handling; I know this because I built a kit of one for a friend who was into that sort of thing many years ago.

Edited by The Johnster

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

The concept was very common and a pragmatic and simple way to move big stuff around. Many large ships had such systems for their aircraft. The idea can still be seen on ships. I was on container ships which had trolley tracks running along the duct keels for access.

These are siblings of the systems used on the roofs of tall buildings to allow the hoists for external maintenance cradles to be moved around.

The latter are ‘trapped rail’ systems, as I think were/are some on ships, and some colliery systems, and the IRS periodically has an inconclusive definitional debate about whether or not they constitute railways at all.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Russian destroyers also had track.

Thirty years ago a few were scrapped at North Blyth.

1942639073_NorthBlythtrackonRussiandestroyerbeingscrapped14468.jpg.23ddfd964f47f0a231a2fdb5c7e2d175.jpg

North Blyth track on Russian destroyer being scrapped  19th May 90 C14468.jpg

David

• Like 2

HMS Lord Clive was fitted with a track loop and siding to shift the shells and cordite charges when an 18" gun was installed.

Edited by grahame