With my current Awdry projects expanding, I thought it was best to set up a separate thread from the Ffarqhuar Layout.

My aim, is to model the real Sodor, as Awdry envisioned in the 'Railway Series'. Examples of the current models I have depicted (Duck, Oliver, BoCo, Percy and Toby) and be found in the Ffarquhar thread. At the moment, I'm working on stock for a side project, The Skarloey Railway.

IMG_1075.jpeg.a3289d6ca41e869d0df24eda9612c229.jpeg

First up is my model of goods brake No 9, 'Cora' formerly of the Mid Sodor Railway (In reality, the ex Corris Van, a now Talyllyn Railway No 6). Just requires weathering to finish.

ERFGsCNXkAAB5Ej.jpg.baf04def7e84ededbc79fd4bc03b10f6.jpg

• Like 15

1 minute ago, AlfaZagato said:

Do you have an era in mind?  Same as Ffarqhuar?

1948-1958
Covering when the Railway was being run by No 1  (and more so No 2) while also covering the arrivals of 3, 4, 5 and 6.

Edited by Tom F
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, david.hill64 said:

As a child in the late 60's I once had the pleasure of a school trip to Rev Awdry's house and his version of a model railway based on his books. It was wonderful. I wonder what became of it?

There was a website (I think sadly now deleted) which had photos of all the surviving portions of Awdry's layouts. Ffarquhar Mk II went to the Rev. Teddy Boston and was on display at the Cadeby Light Railway, then went to Talyllyn. The Mid Sodor layout still exists but I can't remember where.

Cheers

David

6 minutes ago, RedGemAlchemist said:

Is a recreation of Duke on the cards? 

Possibly, as I would like to one day, model the Mid Sodor Railway.

However, not for my Skarloey Layout, as the period depicted has Duke still fast asleep buried in his shed at Arlesdale.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, Kumata said:

At this rate you'll have the whole island modelled!

Do you have any plans yet as to which part of the Skarloey you'll be modelling?

I have an idea, but I wont post until I'm sure. :)

• RMweb Gold
On 20/02/2020 at 19:20, Tom F said:

Possibly, as I would like to one day, model the Mid Sodor Railway.

However, not for my Skarloey Layout, as the period depicted has Duke still fast asleep buried in his shed at Arlesdale.

Engines come and Engines go, but Grandpuff goes on forever

Andi

• Like 6

Hats off to you Tom for doing kits in that fiddly 009! In fact hats off to everyone who scratchbuilds/kit builds/alters in  009!! There was a reason why I moved into 7mm. Fat fingers and I wear glasses a lot more than I used to!

Really looking forward to future updates as and when. Your modelling is inspiring stuff

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BritishGypsum4 said:

Hats off to you Tom for doing kits in that fiddly 009! In fact hats off to everyone who scratchbuilds/kit builds/alters in  009!! There was a reason why I moved into 7mm. Fat fingers and I wear glasses a lot more than I used to!

Really looking forward to future updates as and when. Your modelling is inspiring stuff

Thanks Ben! Well, yesterdays modelling did test my patience!

Van 5 (Beatrice) is all done prior to painting.

87819110_10157316905722984_9005080062042570752_o.jpg.82440aeedf7e0e99bfa2b03d39623c57.jpg

Van 3, which proved tricky requiring solder construction is at least together (it didn't help that we had a two hour power cut last night too!)

87826827_10157316905672984_3362532984119885824_o.jpg.005c308b43824f0e159e1a87f559b3d9.jpg

Edited by Tom F
  • Like 12

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, BritishGypsum4 said:

Tis great to see the updates and how they are coming along. Such a shame that there is little available in 7mm. Maybe one day...

Not sure where you are looking but there are quite a lot of 016.5 kits available from a number of manufacturers including PECO, Worsley Works etc.

Baz

13 hours ago, Barry O said:

Not sure where you are looking but there are quite a lot of 016.5 kits available from a number of manufacturers including PECO, Worsley Works etc.

Baz

Maybe I should have been more specific but I meant for the Talyllyn Railway. I know Wrightlines was bought out but at that time I wasn't thinking of modelling narrow gauge and so it never crossed my mind that I would go down that route. As for Peco kits I have a selection of them so I know about them. Worsley Works I believe are scratch building aids and not much help for me. I prefer full kits.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...