A fireman's work...

AberdeenBill

• RMweb Premium
On 19/02/2020 at 18:48, AberdeenBill said:

This is not meant to be a silly question, but how physically fit did a fireman on the footplate of a top-link express have to be?  

On 20/02/2020 at 02:50, DavidCBroad said:

The Book Firing Days at Saltley has details of harrowing trips on the stoker fitted 9Fs when the stoker jammed, and when Black 5s were substituted which still had to use the special small coal specified for the 9Fs with stokers.

Not as fit as the fireman of a Washwood Heath - Carlisle freight via the Midland route, by Terry Essery's account of a comment made to him by a top passenger link fireman at Carlisle - and that was on a normal run with a Black 5.

Notwithstanding the comment made above about the problems with Royal Scots, I suspect it was generally true that firing to express timings on the most modern locomotives of the day was easier than with some older types. I've read a footplate account by a fireman working a Birmingham - Llandudno excursion, 11 on, with a Prince of Wales, slogging away up to Madeley, being waved at by the fireman of an overtaking Royal Scot, 13 on, who was leaning on his shovel. But that have been in W.A. Tuplin's North Western Steam, so take with a pinch of salt.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

9f's  always keep the back corners filled right up then fire around the box and spread a few across  the middle. Set the exhaust injector as fine as possible down to 1or2 on the handle scale, keep the water steady in the glass and 240 on the clock. Brilliant loco! Mind you I do have to admit that a 9 was the only loco I stopped for a blow up with. Fosse Road loop with a Washwood Heath Banbury coal train, had to stand on the bucket to see the water and my mate wanted to keep going!  And it was his own fault as he would not wait for the tube cleaner when we prepped the loco at Tysley.  Oh! the smell of the barmaids apron and he did'nt get his pints in the Bell that Night!!

• Like 2

One of the shift foremen at Banbury,Bert Mallard  had been a fireman at Saltley and could give chapter and  verse about firing on the Carlisle's But he said Crabs were regulars on that job. Rather him than me!.

Regarding things to read on 8f's I believe Irwell press do a series with all you will ever need to know about them.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
26 minutes ago, Mike 84C said:

Regarding things to read on 8f's I believe Irwell press do a series with all you will ever need to know about them.

That would be I. Sixsmith, The Book of the Stanier 2-8-0s 2 Vols. (Irwell Press, ND). From the blurb, the author's prime interest would appear to be the locomotives' wartime service overseas.

Also, primarily for technical information, D. Hunt et al., LMS Lococomotive Profiles No. 8: The Class 8F 2-8-0s (Wild Swan, 2005) and J. Jennison et al., LMS Locomotive Profiles No. 8: The Class 8F 2-8-0s - Pictorial Supplement (Wild Swan, 2005). 

• Like 1