Gelternau (Formerly Konigsbrucke) - Swiss 2mm N scale layout 1997 - 2005 (with some present day stock too)

cornish trains jez

• 1 month later...

Good afternoon,

Been beavering away at the post depot last few weeks. Feels like it is never ending but I'm making some progress. Here is the latest update photo. I have been working on the loading bay platforms and windows/doors on the ground floor.

889383662_PostDepotProgress13thFebruary2021.jpg.7661f8a5a701e37b49725111ffe9950e.jpg

Best regards and stay safe,

Jeremy

• Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

6 hours ago, the Goblin said:

It is a big building Jeremy, it is looking impressive. Are you using card or plasticard?

Hi,

Thank you. It’s about 2ft in length.

I am mainly using plasticard. The only part that I’ve used card for are the formers for the loading bay platform. I may use card for the roof too as it will give the right texture on which to paint and weather.

Best regards,

Jeremy

Edited by cornish trains jez
  • Like 2

Afternoon all,

A bit more progress on the Postal Depot. I have now completed the ground floor section, trackside. Next week I'll be working on the side and back areas. A few photos showing where I am at. Slowly getting there! Can't wait to have it finished and on the layout.

761491624_PostDepotProgress27thFebruary2021(2).jpg.64e1b15e10c8f6821ceab989c7ef9a25.jpg

2128665573_PostDepotProgress27thFEbruary2021(3).jpg.392c158860124caa74eda7077d273c8f.jpg

868459987_PostDepotProgress27thFebruary2021(4).jpg.cf174fbc2faf5bf0791c79765b2d118f.jpg

282022102_PostDepotProgress27thFebruary2021.jpg.13e0995aa348d5d4944feab1e3b9ec3e.jpg

Best regards,

Jeremy

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

On 28/02/2021 at 09:29, Erichill16 said:

Really nice work. I hadn’t realized what an odd shape the building was until I saw the overhead picture above. An awkward beast to model but when it’s done it will be a show stopper.

Robert

Cheers! I have 5 more buildings to construct after this one. I must be mad!

9 hours ago, Gordonwis said:

Full marks. The instant I looked at your model  it looks instantly correct for the modern Swiss post buildings (I'm very familiar with the one at Genève)

Thanks Gordon. Since researching and building this one I have noticed that there are a few of similar designed post office buildings dotted across Switzerland.

• cornish trains jez changed the title to Gelternau (Formerly Konigsbrucke) - Swiss 2mm N scale layout 1997 - 2005 (with some present day stock too)

Afternoon all,

Having had a few comments about the name of my layout from various sources, and also having done some research, it turns out there is  a "konigsbruck" in Germany (!), I have decided to rename the layout "Gelternau". (with a little bit of help on selecting and coming up with the new name - thanks Gordon!)

More updates to come on the post depot building soon!

Best regards,

Jeremy

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

3 hours ago, Frutigen said:

That’s a good name. It’s not too far from Teckinden if I remember rightly. 

That's the one - decided Teckinden sounded a bit convoluted. I have a fascination for that zone, where you come out of the low populated rural Jura and the urbanisation and industrialisation starts up. The only down side to that journey is that it often means I am on the way out of Switzerland (either from Basel SBB or Euroairport) . btw on the latter subject - does anyone else hate the sounds they play on the Zurich airport terminal shuttle peoplemover? Hearing alpenhorn and cowbells is fine if you are arriving but you hear it when leaving as well which is a depressing sensation.

11 hours ago, DGO said:

The post building really looks like the one at Thun, but are you planning on parking any lake steamers behind it as per the real thing ?

Hi,

Thanks for looking in. I won't be doing the steamers behind sadly as I don't have enough space. The building will be pretty much up against the backscene.

Best regards,

Jeremy

36 minutes ago, cornish trains jez said:

Hi,

Thanks for looking in. I won't be doing the steamers behind sadly as I don't have enough space. The building will be pretty much up against the backscene.

Best regards,

Jeremy

Aw a pity but I quite understand, one of the things I've always loved about the Swiss public transport system is the integration of the lake steamers, so I had to ask, their integration obviously goes back to a previous time when the trains did not exist and going from one end of a lake to the other by steamer was much easier than by foot or carriage on poor roads. 

Here are the latest progress shots of the depot building. I've now completed the road side loading bay entrance side. Having looked at the close up, I have a little bit of filling to do on the side of the door way on the right.

There will be a canopy covering the right hand side so all the detail will pretty much not be seen. There a few bits out of line so will hide them nicely! :laugh:

2038700513_PostDepotProgress6thMarch2021(3).jpg.92482ef2c32cbfc57b2ee1075eb31ef4.jpg

976472611_PostDepotProgress6thMarch2021.jpg.cf575b5c5a041370cd08bc1becd12040.jpg

Best regards,

Jeremy

• Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

• 1 month later...

Morning all,

With work being flat out, I haven't had much time to make a good amount of progress, but I have, over the last few weeks, been busy on cutting out the roof sections. As there are lots of angles, I have decided to cut out the whole roof in sections using 1.5mm thick card which I thought might give me a good textured base to work from when painting and weathering.  Any tips on how to hide the joins would be greatly appreciated.

Currently just posed into position, the roof sections are sitting nice and snug together....so far so good!!!

1512714089_Roof27thApril2021.jpg.98222e2bbc879d5a8b4b28a2e4b9a4c3.jpg

762641246_Roof227thApril2021.jpg.6345d02a2a5d8927a4f5b18af96c0a1c.jpg

Best regards,

Jeremy

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, cornish trains jez said:

Any tips on how to hide the joins would be greatly appreciated.

Would a bead of pva applied with a cocktail stick serve to look like the sealant used on a flat roof? Conduits for electrical equipment, made from plastic strip, is another option. 

• Thanks 1