Gelternau (Formerly Konigsbrucke) - Swiss 2mm N scale layout 1997 - 2005 (with some present day stock too)

cornish trains jez

Good evening all,

Its been a while since I built my first swiss layout so it was time to build a new one.

This all came about with a relocation house move to the West Country, having less space and having to abandon my large project based on Euston station. I decided to have a change for this next project and return to my love of swiss railways. Progress will be slow as I work away during the week and I'll be sharing my weekends with family time and a little bit of modelling time.

So enter "Konigsbrucke"! There are quite a few swiss layouts out there, mainly depicting the Gotthard or other similar routes so I decided on something a bit different. The layout is set somewhere in the Pratteln area, a little more industrial and flatter terrain, and loosely based around the Kaiseraugst and Wichtrach stations. I was looking for somewhere that would (with a bit of modellers licence!) allow me to run anything from the SBB to BLS with some SNCF, DB, SNCB, FS and OBB trains thrown in for good measure....basically anything! The main era will be 2000 - 2007 but I wanted to extend it to the present day so I can include as much variety as possibel.

Again wanting to be a little different, I've decided to go for hand built track, with components from the 2mm scale society, mainly easitrac sections with copper clad turnouts. These will have the gauge narrowed to N gauge through the frogs so I don't have to re-wheel any stock. To the naked eye, you cannot really see the lines narrowing through the turnouts so I think I'll be able to get away with it. The result will be great looking trackwork which I feel is a good basis for the layout. 

I'm also gong to use this layout as a test bed to improve my scratch building skills, as all the buildings will be scratchbuilt based on prototypical structures (thank you google earth 3D!), and N track catenary with some scratch built parts using photos of the real thing.

Why the name "Konigsbrucke"...well I now live in Kingsbridge in Devon, so a quick translation of the town name gave a rather credible swiss name in the german speaking area of the country.

Here are a few photos of the baseboards and the trackplan which I created using Templot. The layout will have a scenic section of 1.62m by 40-45cm with return curves to each end which will be 43cm x 85cm deep. This will give smoother curved track which will allow some of the stock to be closer coupled. To the rear will be a fiddle yard with 10 roads (5 in each direction).

I've kept the plan basic with two main running lines through an island platform, a goods loop and two Industrial sidings for additional interest.

1.jpeg.10f2605d485925503134d595ad39939c.jpeg

1280772367_2resized.jpeg.5828adeaaa9950a8534ce20050365f88.jpeg

I've decided to mock up the buildings to a basic design just to get an idea of how it might look and if it looks right more importantly. The Industrial building is the first that I have started and here it is posed on the layout. It does look a bit big and maybe out of place. I may have to go for something a little less tall! Comments and ideas welcome!

3.jpeg.cd8509bf6c29b6eb8563df8ae985338d.jpeg

1630974955_4resized.jpeg.0d5c5eaf04771bc29821179f0e1d55c6.jpeg

This is the prototype I'm basing it on, taken from Google Earth 3D image. The measuring device on this is really good so I have been able to get some measurements in order to create the building. (I assume I can paste google earth images, if not I'll take them down.)

1842956800_FactoryImage1.jpg.3558da2e382959ffc252c23f4e73c329.jpg

1580769683_FactoryImage2.jpg.8c046c09b6ac224f732f63684518bfa3.jpg

And finally, here is some of the track going down and my first turnout soldered. A bit messy but can be easily cleaned up ready for priming and painting/weathering.

5.jpeg.d149dd2b308e332d6ba7c7b915cc312e.jpeg

1329242793_7resized.jpeg.7dce4c48c756a747612669cbff2ea126.jpeg

Best regards,

Jeremy

Edited by cornish trains jez
  • Like 16
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

An ambitious and testing project. 

I really like the scale of the buildings as it shows the railway in a "lifelike" environment and admire you plans for the track - I confess I would chicken out at that and stick to off the shelf.

Look forward to updates as and when life allows.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, JimFin said:

An ambitious and testing project. 

I really like the scale of the buildings as it shows the railway in a "lifelike" environment and admire you plans for the track - I confess I would chicken out at that and stick to off the shelf.

Look forward to updates as and when life allows.

Thank you. I wanted something that was also large enough to act a bit as a scenic break so this factory should do the trick. I'm going to try and mock up the other buildings over the coming weeks. so Ill be able to post a photo of what it will look like with most of the buildings in situ.

Track building isn't for everyone but can be very satisfying.

Best regards,

Jeremy

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Erichill16 said:

Dear Jeremy,

Looks like my kind of project so I’ll be keeping a close eye on developments. My only comment and I’m not sure but the sidings look very closely spaced.

Happy modelleing

regards Robert

Thanks Robert. Glad you like my project. I'm excited about this one as it's not too large for me to cope with with the spare time I have available but should be interesting enough to operate. And I'd rather have something that I can watch the trains go by and hopefully my children, being 6 and 2, can get involved too in operating it.

I'll take a look at the sidings as, like you say, they are fairly close. I can still make adjustments as I  haven't laid the track for them yet.

Best regards,

Jeremy

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Satan's Goldfish said:

Will follow with interest, I've a growing collection of Swiss N too with the aim of one day having time to build a layout for it. Not many of them about to see.

Cheers. There are not many swiss layouts around but there are some great ones on this forum which I'm following with interest and I can get some ideas for my own layout.

Best regards,

Jeremy

• Like 1

Hi,

Further to Roberts post earlier re: the sidings being close together, I've just checked the google earth image and the sidings are quite a bit too close together on my layout so I'll need to make an adjustment. Shouldn't be too much trouble though as I haven't laid the sidings yet.

Best regards,

Jeremy

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, cornish trains jez said:

Good evening all,

Its been a while since I built my first swiss layout so it was time to build a new one.

This all came about with a relocation house move to the West Country, having less space and having to abandon my large project based on Euston station. I decided to have a change for this next project and return to my love of swiss railways. Progress will be slow as I work away during the week and I'll be sharing my weekends with family time and a little bit of modelling time.

So enter "Konigsbrucke"! There are quite a few swiss layouts out there, mainly depicting the Gotthard or other similar routes so I decided on something a bit different. The layout is set somewhere in the Pratteln area, a little more industrial and flatter terrain, and loosely based around the Kaiseraugst and Wichtrach stations. I was looking for somewhere that would (with a bit of modellers licence!) allow me to run anything from the SBB to BLS with some SNCF, DB, SNCB, FS and OBB trains thrown in for good measure....basically anything! The main era will be 2000 - 2007 but I wanted to extend it to the present day so I can include as much variety as possibel.

Again wanting to be a little different, I've decided to go for hand built track, with components from the 2mm scale society, mainly easitrac sections with copper clad turnouts. These will have the gauge narrowed to N gauge through the frogs so I don't have to re-wheel any stock. To the naked eye, you cannot really see the lines narrowing through the turnouts so I think I'll be able to get away with it. The result will be great looking trackwork which I feel is a good basis for the layout. 

I'm also gong to use this layout as a test bed to improve my scratch building skills, as all the buildings will be scratchbuilt based on prototypical structures (thank you google earth 3D!), and N track catenary with some scratch built parts using photos of the real thing.

Why the name "Konigsbrucke"...well I now live in Kingsbridge in Devon, so a quick translation of the town name gave a rather credible swiss name in the german speaking area of the country.

Here are a few photos of the baseboards and the trackplan which I created using Templot. The layout will have a scenic section of 1.62m by 40-45cm with return curves to each end which will be 43cm x 85cm deep. This will give smoother curved track which will allow some of the stock to be closer coupled. To the rear will be a fiddle yard with 10 roads (5 in each direction).

I've kept the plan basic with two main running lines through an island platform, a goods loop and two Industrial sidings for additional interest.

1.jpeg.10f2605d485925503134d595ad39939c.jpeg

1280772367_2resized.jpeg.5828adeaaa9950a8534ce20050365f88.jpeg

I've decided to mock up the buildings to a basic design just to get an idea of how it might look and if it looks right more importantly. The Industrial building is the first that I have started and here it is posed on the layout. It does look a bit big and maybe out of place. I may have to go for something a little less tall! Comments and ideas welcome!

3.jpeg.cd8509bf6c29b6eb8563df8ae985338d.jpeg

1630974955_4resized.jpeg.0d5c5eaf04771bc29821179f0e1d55c6.jpeg

This is the prototype I'm basing it on, taken from Google Earth 3D image. The measuring device on this is really good so I have been able to get some measurements in order to create the building. (I assume I can paste google earth images, if not I'll take them down.)

1842956800_FactoryImage1.jpg.3558da2e382959ffc252c23f4e73c329.jpg

1580769683_FactoryImage2.jpg.8c046c09b6ac224f732f63684518bfa3.jpg

And finally, here is some of the track going down and my first turnout soldered. A bit messy but can be easily cleaned up ready for priming and painting/weathering.

5.jpeg.d149dd2b308e332d6ba7c7b915cc312e.jpeg

1329242793_7resized.jpeg.7dce4c48c756a747612669cbff2ea126.jpeg

Best regards,

Jeremy

I hope that you have not completely abandoned Euston after all the hard work that had been done.

This project looks interesting but I find the name improbable for Switzerland. I don't think they have ever had kings there.

13 minutes ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

I hope that you have not completely abandoned Euston after all the hard work that had been done.

This project looks interesting but I find the name improbable for Switzerland. I don't think they have ever had kings there.

Hi,

Euston will re-appear one day in the future but for time being, this layout will be my modelling priority. Unfortunately, I don't have the space at present for such a large layout.

Not sure on the "kings" bit but I chose the name based on a direct translation/play of words to where we have moved to.

Best regards,

Jeremy

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

It is a great pity about Euston, as it was working towards being a stunner.

Will this layout have overhead knitting too? It will make a nice change to see a standard gauge Swiss layout instead of narrow gauge.

I have a plan to build a German layout as a break from British ones, but I have no idea when I will get around to it - just collecting stock so far.

I will follow this with interest.

Edited by Ian Morgan
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Ian Morgan said:

It is a great pity about Euston, as it was working towards being a stunner.

Will this layout have overhead knitting too? It will make a nice change to see a standard gauge Swiss layout instead of narrow gauge.

I have a plan to build a German layout as a break from British ones, but I have no idea when I will get around to it - just collecting stock so far.

I will follow this with interest.

Thanks Ian. As mentioned above, Euston will make a come back one day but it's a layout that requires a huge amount of time and space, both of which I don't have at present.

I will certainly be adding the overhead knitting, which will be a combination of off the shelf stuff with some scratch built parts added for additional detailing.

Look forward to seeing the german layout as and when you start it.

Best regards,

Jeremy

A little side project I have for the layout in terms of rolling stock is this little 3D printed beauty in the form of the RABDe 500 ICN 7 car unit. It's an absolute must have model for me as I travelled on one back in 2008 from Geneva to Yverdon les Bains.

1889318802_SBBRABDeICN.jpg.1a4ce599cdc93b186b67ef38f626e598.jpg

Needs a little sanding and smoothing but its a great model. A chap on this forum is producing them along with some other tasty swiss units!

His thread is here - 

Best regards,

Jeremy

• Like 3

On 20/02/2020 at 09:05, cornish trains jez said:

Hi,

Euston will re-appear one day in the future but for time being, this layout will be my modelling priority. Unfortunately, I don't have the space at present for such a large layout.

Not sure on the "kings" bit but I chose the name based on a direct translation/play of words to where we have moved to.

Best regards,

Jeremy

Although there is the "Drei Konigs Brucke" in Basel so not impossible that one of them wandered through Pratteln :) 

Your layout - your rules, says the man running a HSB steam train on his RhB layout.....

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Afternoon all,

I'm considering adding an additional line to the front of the layout which would follow the line of the outside track, giving me a freight loop so I could hold a freight train while a passenger speeds through, or departs from the station island platform. It could add some additional interest. So it would be like the turnouts for the loop to rejoin the mainline would be "off scene". Give me an excuse to have a working colour light signal. Perhaps a nice scratch built gantry like the ones around the Gotthard!

What does everybody think?

Best regards,

Jeremy

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, cornish trains jez said:

Afternoon all,

I'm considering adding an additional line to the front of the layout which would follow the line of the outside track, giving me a freight loop so I could hold a freight train while a passenger speeds through, or departs from the station island platform. It could add some additional interest. So it would be like the turnouts for the loop to rejoin the mainline would be "off scene". Give me an excuse to have a working colour light signal. Perhaps a nice scratch built gantry like the ones around the Gotthard!

What does everybody think?

Best regards,

Jeremy

Do it! It’s nice to park a train up and allow people to take a closer look as well as adding operational interest.

Regards Robert

(on holiday in Interlaken at this very minute!)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Erichill16 said:

Do it! It’s nice to park a train up and allow people to take a closer look as well as adding operational interest.

Regards Robert

(on holiday in Interlaken at this very minute!)

Thanks for the reply Robert. Hope you are able to get some time in at Interlaken station!

Best regards,

Jeremy

Just now, cornish trains jez said:

Thanks for the reply Robert. Hope you are able to get some time in at Interlaken station!

Best regards,

Jeremy

I’m on holiday with my wife and we came here via a model railway exhibition in Holland so need to be on my best behaviour. As a side note, there was an N gauge Belgian layout at the exhibition which had beautiful hand made track.

regards Robert

B8059884-7E78-4940-A393-EEE7FF7D3E52.jpeg

06D53F2F-82EA-426B-BDB9-90F1AB430E9B.jpeg

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

That is Splitveld Fabriek, by Henk Oversloot, a 2mm Scale Association member. It is 1/160 scale, built to 2mm Scale Association standards. He mills out locomotive chassis from solid brass with large flywheels, and makes his own wheels. His locomotives run very nicely. Here it is in operation, in the first few minutes:

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
20 hours ago, cornish trains jez said:

I'm considering adding an additional line to the front of the layout which would follow the line of the outside track, giving me a freight loop so I could hold a freight train while a passenger speeds through, or . . .

More operational interest works for viewer and operator so it’s not looking too crowded so I’d go for it :) 

• Thanks 1

Evening all,

Many thanks for your comments and advice. I have decided to go for the loop and have laid the track this afternoon. Pictured below are the results. I think it looks really good and will create some additional interest. My main concern was that the line would be too close to the edge of the board and I would not have the space to add the overhead line gantries, but having measured, I think I'll get away with it.

Our beagle snores away in the background of the first photo, bless her!

1994592889_NewLoop.jpg.233a17c7a3c06fc622eb5dfe0b89af28.jpg

Here with Lyria France-Suisse TGV.

1283293538_NewLoop2.jpg.582dd254b8f723021c61ecd05d665774.jpg

A new addition to my fleet is this rather nice offering from Rocky Rail. I've seen several photos of this SNCF loco heading through Pratteln station with car carriers, so the excuse to have one was right there! It's a cracking model with some lovely bits of detail. Can't wait to get some juice to the tracks and see this one running with my rake of Minitrix car carriers.

2097884850_NewFretLoco.jpg.3d91b8e06a90d47e62425bc9c47636c3.jpg

That's all for now. I'm hoping to work on putting another turnout together tomorrow so will update if I get a bit further forward.

Best regards,

Jeremy

• Like 6

On 27/02/2020 at 16:52, cornish trains jez said:

Best regards,

Jeremy

Must have earned some brownie points as we went up to Kandersteg. Top picture show Re465 on a local train at Spietz. (Seams a waste on pony power to me) and the other shows Re4/4 waiting to take over car transporter duties.

Regards Robert

90D7B871-08DB-4610-BA72-2EA803AA8B29.jpeg

88568256-903A-400D-A1F3-2420F678D494.jpeg

• Like 3

Morning!

The posty delivered my latest model for the layout this week. I've already got the original "atlantique" style liveried TGV Lyria but really also wanted the up to date version that currently runs.

So here it is, and another wonderfully detailed model from Kato. Have to say that all the decals are sharply reproduced on the model and the paint job is superb. A couple of photos below just out of the box. I'll try and get some more photos of it posed on the layout over the weekend.

Lyria1.jpg.eda43a357efc811689fa2e93b4852590.jpg

Lyria3.jpg.7ec6dee6848144ac8ae42f237eb17911.jpg

Lyria2.jpg.a87e3318c50804a57c9150924ec5180d.jpg

Best regards,

Jeremy

• Like 5

On my wish list is an original Orange PSE TGV as made by Kato and often appearing on Ebay. Other than the SBB logo for 1 or 2 of the sets that made their way into Switzerland, I've never found a mention of any other visual differences on these sets, but apparently they were/are kitted to work on more voltages than other original PSE sets.

Kato do do a very tempting range of TGVs... good job I don't have the space or funds to think creating an LGV layout is a good idea!

• Like 1