Gelternau (Formerly Konigsbrucke) - Swiss 2mm N scale layout 1997 - 2005 (with some present day stock too)

cornish trains jez

7 minutes ago, Satan's Goldfish said:

On my wish list is an original Orange PSE TGV as made by Kato and often appearing on Ebay. Other than the SBB logo for 1 or 2 of the sets that made their way into Switzerland, I've never found a mention of any other visual differences on these sets, but apparently they were/are kitted to work on more voltages than other original PSE sets.

Kato do do a very tempting range of TGVs... good job I don't have the space or funds to think creating an LGV layout is a good idea!

Kato do a great range of TGV's. I think the duplex one also runs into Switzerland. I too would like an orange/grey version, definitely my favourite livery. If I can pick one up I'd add the SBB logos, making it more relevant to the layout.

Its a shame that Kato didn't do a 4 car add on set for the Blue/silver Lyria set. There was a French company who did some resprayed add on sets but they are no longer doing this by the look of things. I've found a shop in France who can supply the correct SNCF paint colors so may well have a go at respraying the extra coaches sometime in the future.

Best regards,

Jeremy

• Like 2

Good afternoon,

As promised, here are some photos of the full TGV Lyria set on the layout. It nearly fills the scenic section! I've also added a photo of it next to the altalntique style Lyria TGV. Of interest is the gaps between the carriages on the older TGV and the newer one, the newer one having a far closer coupling arrangement. I'm wondering if anything can be done on the older one to close the gap a little. If anyone has done this or knows someone who has, please let me know.

443276583_TGVLyria1.jpg.5e0bc45913c6b82113927d9d6f16080f.jpg

564666721_TGVLyria3.jpg.219d65b1cc75d6da764055d0a3ba4472.jpg

Old and new together...

1305544620_TGVLyriaoldandnew.jpg.9f337ce15be831128b54d55472a33a35.jpg

This photo shows the gap between the coaches on the old and new TGV's.

1851376855_CouplingGaps.jpg.11750c79aa43f4feb312db37c305510f.jpg

Best regards,

Jeremy

• Like 4

Looking at your older set, the driving cars are the PSE shape rather than the Atlantique shape. I'm not sure what other centre car packs kato do, but it could be the PSE orange centre pack would be a match... just the wrong livery to resolve.

Good morning,

A little information on some of the buildings I plan to build for the station area. I've decided to scratch build a station building very similar to this one, located at Kaiseraugst, and also its associated goods shed, the shed being a typical structure at most swiss stations.

Here are a couple of google earth/street images.

Viewed from the air, they are quite close together which is perfect for my layout as I'm a bit strapped for space at that end of the layout.

916219109_StationBuildingandGoodsShed.jpg.1b62cb3a80196c215d8955bcb787aabe.jpg

The station building...

1425324499_Stationbuildinggroundview.jpg.a19f764f4d4b0846ab8945cbea14fdf0.jpg

The goods shed...

1193834782_StationBuildingandGoodsShedGroundView.jpg.700466f8b71c278d080ab651b9cfb430.jpg

Behind the ststaion and concourse area, I plan an in and out arrangement for buses etc and this rather nice hotel/restaurant building which I've found in Rheinfelden, two towns away from Kaiseraugst, while researching some suitable buildings that had the 3D google earth facility for me to get some dimensions and scratch build. The building will more than likely sit flush to the back scene.

Viewed from the air...

1343798280_Hotelaerialview.jpg.91972d378e5a03c759f079d5454a6421.jpg

Ground view...

1470380780_Hotelgroundview.jpg.95fb9316d35fb208c057e28414651be0.jpg

I think this will sit nicely at this end of the layout and give a bit of depth to the scenic section. I'm conscious I'll need to balance the buildings at each end of the layout as I've already got the quite tall factory at one end and don't want to have an unbalanced effect.

Any comments or suggestions always welcome.

Best regards,

Jeremy

• Like 6

5 hours ago, woodenhead said:

More pics of buildings please and less of trains - I have found myself regularly search N gauge Swiss engines on Google and Ebay since reading this thread.

Ha ha!! You’ve got the Swiss bug now! 
As I work away during the week, I’m going to take some modelling bits with me to start on drawing up the buildings so I’ll post a few pics.

I’ve also managed to get another turnout finished today and tested with my trusty TGV coach. Also laid some of the track that will run in front of the station building. Again, I’ll post during this week some pics that I took today.

Best regards,

Jeremy

• Like 1

Jeremy, 

Things looking good but the roof of the hotel / restaurant is going to be a challenge, both shape wise and type of tile. I suppose a compromise could be in order.Nice looking building and typical in architecture though.

regards Robert.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeremy,

Like others on here I was a keen follower of 'Euston' and I look forward to seeing it possibly being resurrected in the future. In the meantime I'll be following your new Swiss opus. I know very little of Swiss trains other than they always look very nice but, hey, it's trains so what's not to like!

Hope to see perhaps a little less of the high speed people wagons in future and some pics of locos and proper wagons :D

David

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Erichill16 said:

Jeremy, 

Things looking good but the roof of the hotel / restaurant is going to be a challenge, both shape wise and type of tile. I suppose a compromise could be in order.Nice looking building and typical in architecture though.

regards Robert.

Hi Robert,

Many thanks for your comments. Yes, the restaurant is a nice building and the roof will pose some problems but I’m hopeful of getting a reasonable representation. It may be that I look into some 3D printed bits to help the process a little.

More than likely that I’m going to start on the station building first to build up my confidence!

Best regards,

Jeremy

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DavidLong said:

Hi Jeremy,

Like others on here I was a keen follower of 'Euston' and I look forward to seeing it possibly being resurrected in the future. In the meantime I'll be following your new Swiss opus. I know very little of Swiss trains other than they always look very nice but, hey, it's trains so what's not to like!

Hope to see perhaps a little less of the high speed people wagons in future and some pics of locos and proper wagons :D

David

Cheers David. Euston will certainly return one day, and (space allowing) it will be bigger and better.

This Swiss layout fits nicely into our current home and my work schedule and is a size I can cope with and have trains running quite soon. And yes, there will be plenty of loco hauled formations to enjoy too!

Best regards,

Jeremy

Edited by cornish trains jez

Good morning all!

As promised, here are a few progress shots from the weekend.

First up, I managed to complete the second turnout (3 left to do!). It seemed easier than the first one and after testing with a TGV coach, it seems to run through smoothly through. I'm also going to try some over stock and check all is 100% well. The next job will be to wire up the two mainlines and make sure the locos pass through with no hiccups and if need be, I'll have to adjust the check rails. One mistake I made with Euston was that I built the entire layout and then started wiring and testing, only to find that some of the turnouts needed adjustment to function adequately.

I'm going to go for tortoise turnout motors this time around. Wiring is by far my weakness and they seem relatively easy to install and wire up. I'm currently deciding whether to go for DCC or a more traditional system to operate them. As there are only 5 turnouts, I don't need to have anything too complicated to operate.

On to some photos. Here's the turnout, it looks a bit neater than the first one!

(Looking at the photo again, I'll need to straighten the tie bar!).

Second_Turnout_completed.jpg.5e72106cb0cffeb68df4a2ac1d542dc7.jpg

I've also starting laying the track which runs adjacent to the station platform and building.

1085480536_Trackinfrontofstation.jpg.100180b911d7dee32445a32f13718626.jpg

Here's my green Re 6/6 posed on the turnout. I'm going to have a go at adding some detail to this loco in the future.

1447015529_GreenRe66.jpg.41910f5e9ce29ecb4befdb405b90b371.jpg

That's all for now.

Best regards,

Jeremy

• Like 6

26 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

What needs adding to it, it looks pretty detailed as is?

I'd like to add some buffer beam detailing to one end, remove the coupling and fill the void on the front skirt and spray in to match. Also there is a little grab rail to be added to the front nose and I'd also like to remove the current pantographs and try and do something with those too. They look a little bulky so I'm thinking of having a go at scratchbuilding some using some of the parts from the originals.

Not something I'll do immediately but maybe in a few months time. I'll document it all on this thread of course.

Best regards,

Jeremy

• Like 4

13 hours ago, cornish trains jez said:

I'd like to add some buffer beam detailing to one end, remove the coupling and fill the void on the front skirt and spray in to match. Also there is a little grab rail to be added to the front nose and I'd also like to remove the current pantographs and try and do something with those too. They look a little bulky so I'm thinking of having a go at scratchbuilding some using some of the parts from the originals.

Not something I'll do immediately but maybe in a few months time. I'll document it all on this thread of course.

Best regards,

Jeremy

I’ve always fancied doing one of the articulated ones, not actually making the body articulate, just give the impression that the body is in two parts. They are quite noticeable with their offset nameplate. Some of the Re6/6 I’ve got came second hand and I think I’ve ended up with a spare body so no excuses on that front. Just need more details and a way of producing the correct shield. May be one day.....

carry on the good work.

Robert

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Erichill16 said:

I’ve always fancied doing one of the articulated ones, not actually making the body articulate, just give the impression that the body is in two parts. They are quite noticeable with their offset nameplate. Some of the Re6/6 I’ve got came second hand and I think I’ve ended up with a spare body so no excuses on that front. Just need more details and a way of producing the correct shield. May be one day.....

carry on the good work.

Robert

There's a REOS YouTube videos from luzern has some very close shots of one the articulated re6/6 engines, might be of use for the details for you.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Good evening,

I hope everyone is keeping well and safe during these unsettling times.

Today I decided to get the layout out and start on some wiring. The first section to be dealt with will be the inside mainline which has the turnouts. I want to make sure this part works to a decent standard before I carry on laying the rest of the track work into the sidings. As the layout will be DCC operated, I have started soldering the dropper wires in situ through some pre drilled holes in the baseboard, which will eventually run to some bus wires underneath the board.

5B8FA9AA-EB71-4C74-9A63-C8D09FAE394E.jpeg.5040aaaf841788fb6c113124b6b58890.jpeg

i have noticed that some of the older rolling stocks wheel flanges seem to run along the sleepers somewhat so with a bit of advice from a friend, I’m filing down the flanges so they run smoothly along the track. It’s mainly the Minitrix and Roco stock that seem to be the issue. Kato/Hobbytrain items seem to run fine.

The way I’m dining this down is by inserting the wheel set into the end of a drill and then using a needle file to take as much off as possible as it spins round. If anyone knows of suitable replacement wheel sets then please let me know.

Here’s a couple shots of my Minitrix Swiss Express set with the latest, and nicely detailed, Hobbytrain Re4/4.

7B7D5AED-2BAF-416E-B95C-8F98EE92E2ED.jpeg.f9d98b59b874f95cccee401a9fbfbd02.jpeg

814956B9-7E28-4873-A9A0-43A8E5C75D1B.jpeg.a2ab2d3e742b1e47e064c80a65067773.jpeg

Take care and keep safe.

Best regards,

Jeremy

• Like 4

Regarding pizza cutter flanges, Arnold ones are pretty bad. I have a few old Lima/Minitrains coaches and they are also bad.    But the worst are definitely the old East German Pikos but I’ve rewheeled most of that stock with Graham Farrish sets. 

I have trouble with Arnold loco running through Peco code 55 points and a friend of mine turned the flanges down on one model on his lathe. Unfortunately it wasn’t a success, we think the new profile wasn’t right. He is quite an accomplished model engineer having built several live steam OO models.

i do like the look of the Hobbytrain Re4/4 but have about 3 each from Minitrix and Fleischman. The engine looks nice with the Minitrix airport express coaches and the colours match well.

I recently purchased the Jagerndorfer Austrian crocodile and it’s a lovely model (but a bit noisy) and I think the Swiss one is out soon. I know it’s out of your time frame but I’ve seen a couple of ‘historic’ loco’s out on the mainline. 

Take care and be sensible,

Robert

• 5 weeks later...
12 hours ago, jonathan452 said:

FYI from around 11.50 to 12.40 - 

(Though you may of course enjoy the whole three and a quarter hour video as a lock down boredom buster.)

Hi,

Thanks for posting this. I watched this some time ago, it’s a cracking video isn’t it! This person uploads cab rides quite regularly and I’ve subscribed to their channel (amongst one or two others!).

Thanks for looking into my thread. I’ll be posting an update later with some quite major changes.....

Best regards and stay safe,

Jeremy

Good evening all,

As mentioned above, I thought I would post an update as I have decided to make some quite major changes to the layout. This all came about after I decided to use some of the lockdown period to clear and tidy the garage ( a bit of an overdue job) , so I could make a space for the layout. After doing so, I realised I actually had a massive space for a much larger layout and thus Konigsbrucke Mk2 was born!

The original idea was to build something small that I could work on at weekends when I was home from work with the family but this lockdown period has allowed me to really make some headway with the layout.

So the new layout will be 5 meters long by 85 cm wide, allowing me a four track mainline with a service road to access a postal depot, based on that at Thun station, and a large depot based on Erstfeld with some additional extras. The idea will be that there will be a very large town station "off scene". There will be a river to one end allowing me to model a bridge (never built one before!).

The fiddle yard will be 12 roads wide and able to accommodate between 24 and 36 trains depending on size of the trains.

The area will still be the same being a more Industrial Switzerland based around Pratteln.

Due to the amount of track to lay and the problems with continental stock running smoothly along hand built easitrac, I have decided to use Peco code 55 track for ease and to save me faffing around milling down wheelsets. Luckily I only did two wheelsets!

I'll upload a trackplan over the next few days.

Here are a few photos of progress...I already have trains running on one loop, although I have run out of timber to build all three baseboards, so a temporary return curve has been laid on board two to allow trains to run.

Overall view of board one...

452504377_overallviewApril2020.jpg.f602d6cd4cae0c364219d08aaf5f720e.jpg

I have added a camber to the sweeping curves....

2083938807_Re44oncamber.jpg.cbaae253a342a5ed3c3473c9c4875fb5.jpg

A nice line up on my unfinished model of Erstfeld depot. The depot will be located on board three eventually....

1871439939_depotApril2020.jpg.147a209827d125d16645702a9ffab080.jpg

I have also taken some video footage which I will upload over the next couple of days.

Jeremy

• Like 7

Evening all,

As mentioned, attached is the track plan for the new version of Konigsbrucke.  I have taken elements from other stations and infrastructure that I rather liked to make up the buildings for the layout.

The post depot will be based on that at Thun station.

The signal box will be closed and based on that at Pratteln.

The depot will be Erstfeld with the carriage / EMU washer from Spiez Depot. Although I think this has now gone as the depot is being completely rebuilt.

The industrial buildings for the centre of the layout I have yet to plan and this will depend on how much space I have left. I may extend the depot sidings into this area but haven't decided yet.

I'll try and get some decent pictures tomorrow of progress and upload the videos that I have taken.

515025671_Trackplan.jpg.d05f00ff85a5f74d9346942bb840c0dc.jpg

Jeremy

• Like 7

Nice one Jeremy!

Good insight into your future plans and clear commentary.

Laser cut card bridges are a lot stronger once assembled than I imagined them to be and you could look at the Noch range for example...

looking forward to seeing how this progresses.

Great to see long trains in action.

kind regards,

Peter

• Like 1