Gelternau (Formerly Konigsbrucke) - Swiss 2mm N scale layout 1997 - 2005 (with some present day stock too)

cornish trains jez

1 minute ago, Satan's Goldfish said:

Looks long enough to justify needing a centre support, a lot of weight to hold with 2 or more trains at once on it. Great progress, big buildings really give a sense of scale!

Hi,

Thanks for the feedback. I wasn't sure about the centre support, but like you say, with two or more trains, it will need one.

Best regards and stay safe,

Jeremy

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
28 minutes ago, Satan's Goldfish said:

Looks long enough to justify needing a centre support, a lot of weight to hold with 2 or more trains at once on it. Great progress, big buildings really give a sense of scale!

But it's only a single track.

Looking at your prototype inspiration for the bridge, it would seem the extra support doesn't have to be in the centre. I'm not sure if that's just because there's a convient bit of land there to build it on, or whether the fact the the OHL mast also lines up with the concrete support has anything to do with it.

Nice simple bridge through, quick to build and keeps trains on view rather than hiding in frame girders like the bridge behind :)

• RMweb Gold

I've got it now!

Perfectly possible to build a bridge that long without any pier(s). It would come down to an engineering choice based on cost. Without piers would use more material but with piers involves more groundsworks. A big factor would be the local geology.

The number of tracks should not matter because we are dealing with the downwards force rather than lateral forces. But when you look at bridges from below, you can see that they are mostly built as a succession of bridges, one for each track.

• RMweb Premium

I think the bridge is likely to sag after a while without extra support. A centre support would be the simplest and most effective solution. Other prototypical options could include a slim, broad arch underneath in steel or concrete, or some sort of girder structure, but I suspect they’d be harder to make both attractive and effective. 

Hi,

Thanks everyone for your comments and suggestions. I'm going to add the stonework to the end supports today and some additional strips of plasticard to the sides on the top adjacent to where the rail runs. I'll also be adding some railings which I'll put together out of 0.2mm wire soldered together (wish me luck! - the swear box will undoubtedly get replenished!) and then installed on the sides and down the middle around the gap.

I'm still considering the middle support, as Frutigen says above, I'm also worried it might sag despite there being some 0.5mm square plastic tube within the support to give strength. I'll need to decide before adding water etc as it would make a mess to alter it after that's been added.

Jeremy

• RMweb Premium

Another great video, it's nice to see those long trains running by. That bridge is looking really elegant and there's no sign of any flexing as the trains go over - nice work.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Frutigen said:

Another great video, it's nice to see those long trains running by. That bridge is looking really elegant and there's no sign of any flexing as the trains go over - nice work.

Thank you! Latest photo of the bridge...

I've used code 40 rail for the check rails. Just the other two tracks to do now.

Bridge_with_check_rails.jpg.838d9d0c83321567ffbe8b6c1f9a2e5d.jpg

Jeremy

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
On 04/05/2020 at 16:45, cornish trains jez said:

Afternoon all,

Here is an update as to how the layout looks so far with the card building mentioned above in situ. I've photo shopped it a bit as the garage looks a mess around it!

1486031138_Layoutphotoshopped.jpg.3a7464277eca231d0188d6d758444ca2.jpg

Jeremy

Jeremy, hi

Just stumbled upon this by way of the Euston thread.

Looks to be an interesting project - I like the scale of the buildings particularly the large one in the front...maybe with some trees along the edge too so you have to look through to see the trains?

Watching with interest,

Pete

(Look forward to see your HST and 50’s stretch their legs on this... :D)

• Like 2

Just found this. I knew you were building a Swiss layout but didn't realise there was a thread.

Looking very good so far and those new TGVs look fantastic.

Nice to see you continuing to use handbuilt track as well. Is it to N2 or an arbitary standard?

Regards

Cav

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, RBE said:

Just found this. I knew you were building a Swiss layout but didn't realise there was a thread.

Looking very good so far and those new TGVs look fantastic.

Nice to see you continuing to use handbuilt track as well. Is it to N2 or an arbitary standard?

Regards

Cav

Morning,

Thanks. The TGV's are really nice models and they run really smoothly too.  The main bulk of the track is Peco code 55, however, I decided this week I decided to have another bash at hand building the turnouts. Yes, they will be to the N2 standards.

The initial problem I had, was that as a lot of continental stock has almost pizza cutter size wheel sets, they were fouling the sleepers on the easitrac and the turnouts I had built to N standards, so I had to take the decision to use Peco code 55, the rail being slightly higher and allowing smooth running. I'm currently experimenting with hand building turnouts, again with code 40 rail but with a 0.25mm metal strip added under the rail to give a little extra height to pretty much code 55 height. With some careful ballasting and weathering of the track, I reckon I can get away with hiding the transition between the two rail heights through the turnouts at normal viewing distances. This will also mean that my stock should run smoothly through the turnouts now, as I had several derailments through the Peco slip.

I have also kept the sleeper spacing the same as a Peco turnout so it doesn't look too obvious. I'f like to handbuild all the track using this method but not sure I can face laying all those PCB sleepers individually along 4 sets of main lines running 5 meters in length each! Perhaps I could look into the concrete sleepered finetrax stuff although the rail height on the sleepers could be an issue again with the wheels running along the sleepers.

Jeremy

2 hours ago, bcnPete said:

Jeremy, hi

Just stumbled upon this by way of the Euston thread.

Looks to be an interesting project - I like the scale of the buildings particularly the large one in the front...maybe with some trees along the edge too so you have to look through to see the trains?

Watching with interest,

Pete

(Look forward to see your HST and 50’s stretch their legs on this... :D)

Hi Pete,

I'm getting stuck into this. I decided on modelling the industrial outskirts of a large town as there are lots of fine layouts already built depicting the Gotthard landscapes etc. The buildings are going to be my main focus and try and add the feel of the trains naturally  running through the suburbs by having buildings at the front of the layout. I like your idea of trees hiding the trains too so will certainly add some into this area around the building. 

Funny you should mention the 50's, I had 50030 out the other day!

Jeremy

• Like 1

Great looking layout so far! As for the bridge, I‘d suggest that you leave a flat river bank on either side with an additional pillar at the edge of each bank, the same way as you can see at Sihlbrugg. You could also have one bridge made from steel and another from concrete or stone to reflect the later addition of the 3rd and 4th tracks.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, chb2488 said:

Great looking layout so far! As for the bridge, I‘d suggest that you leave a flat river bank on either side with an additional pillar at the edge of each bank, the same way as you can see at Sihlbrugg. You could also have one bridge made from steel and another from concrete or stone to reflect the later addition of the 3rd and 4th tracks.

Hi,

Thanks for looking in. Here is a photo of the bridge (its been painted since I took this). Like you mention, I have added pillars to each edge but unfortunately, I've already constructed the bridge to accommodate the 4 tracks, but it looks like two concrete bridges for each of the two main lines.

Its

1682197660_bridge10.jpg.bf9de8b1e0922ca973672c1db0922e4b.jpg

Jeremy

• Like 4

1 hour ago, woodenhead said:

I'm glad the bridge is now under the track, it was giving me collywobbles watching your pride and joy simply rolling across the gap in the early videos.

ha ha yes! It did look a bit strange with no bridge. Trains were dipping in and out of the bridge section!

Hi Jeremy,

Just stumbled across this through your Euston thread. You are a man by my own heart and I've been dreaming of starting a Swiss layout some day, so far I have managed to resist, but in the nicest possible way your videos are not helping:).

I have a lot of nice memories from your stock that was shown in the videos. My last business trip before the lockdown started involved taking the nightjet from here (köln) down to Innsbruck and back again. I must say the model looks spot on to me. The BLS re465 was a favourite loco as a kid and the Swiss rail journeys dad used to take me on during our family holidays always involved taking the RBDe 4/4 fr bulle to fribourg before venturing further into the network. 

The trackplan looks perfect and great to see a different take on a Swiss layout to the usual railway through the mountains. The cant angle on the track you've laid looks just perfect as well.

I will enjoy following your progress.

All the best,

Dave

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, DavidMcKenzie said:

Hi Jeremy,

Just stumbled across this through your Euston thread. You are a man by my own heart and I've been dreaming of starting a Swiss layout some day, so far I have managed to resist, but in the nicest possible way your videos are not helping:).

I have a lot of nice memories from your stock that was shown in the videos. My last business trip before the lockdown started involved taking the nightjet from here (köln) down to Innsbruck and back again. I must say the model looks spot on to me. The BLS re465 was a favourite loco as a kid and the Swiss rail journeys dad used to take me on during our family holidays always involved taking the RBDe 4/4 fr bulle to fribourg before venturing further into the network. 

The trackplan looks perfect and great to see a different take on a Swiss layout to the usual railway through the mountains. The cant angle on the track you've laid looks just perfect as well.

I will enjoy following your progress.

All the best,

Dave

Hi Dave,

Thanks for looking in and your kind comments on the layout. It's nice to know that I'm doing things right. I think Swiss railways are addictive and like you, the re465 are true favourites of mine.

Jeremy