Gelternau (Formerly Konigsbrucke) - Swiss 2mm N scale layout 1997 - 2005 (with some present day stock too)

cornish trains jez

34 minutes ago, swisspeat said:

You are encouraging me to think about N scale too much!

I have nothing at all at the moment despite having HO, HOm and Om stuff.

I can now see the running potential of N.......

Watching with interest.

Pete

That's the great thing with N gauge, you can have long trains running in a small space.

On 21/05/2020 at 11:18, cornish trains jez said:

Morning all!

Hope everyone is enjoying the sunshine. I had fun running some trains at the weekend and made a little video while doing so. Hope you enjoy...

Best regards and stay safe,

Jeremy

Great selection of stock Jeremy. Really captures all the things I find so interesting in Swiss railways. 

Excuse my ignorance but what is the white and blue commuter/local train with the red cab? I've often seen them but not so sure what they actually are. Have you got hold of stock like this second hand? I noticed in a previous video an rbde 4/4 which I can't see anywhere as a new model. They are the kind of stock that really notices if it is missing on a layout. I know they are maybe not as exciting as a TGV or a loco hauled express, but I like that you've included them. 

Thanks for your videos. I am enjoying them, but at the end of each one I need to stop myself from sketching track plans for a Swiss layout :help:.:)

All the best,

Dave

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, DavidMcKenzie said:

Great selection of stock Jeremy. Really captures all the things I find so interesting in Swiss railways. 

Excuse my ignorance but what is the white and blue commuter/local train with the red cab? I've often seen them but not so sure what they actually are. Have you got hold of stock like this second hand? I noticed in a previous video an rbde 4/4 which I can't see anywhere as a new model. They are the kind of stock that really notices if it is missing on a layout. I know they are maybe not as exciting as a TGV or a loco hauled express, but I like that you've included them. 

Thanks for your videos. I am enjoying them, but at the end of each one I need to stop myself from sketching track plans for a Swiss layout :help:.:)

All the best,

Dave

Hi Dave,

Many thanks for your kind comments. The Swiss bug will get to you eventually! :D

With regards to the RBDe 4/4, its the Piko offering. It comes with the baggage car and is a super little model. Runs beautifully straight out the box and has an abundance of small detail parts already added with an additional detailing pack of bits to add.

There is also the earlier liveried green version on offer. I struggled to find mine as I thought they had all sold out when released but found one by chance in a french model shop online. Piko plan to release the centre coaches soon and I'll be looking out for a pair to add to the set. I'll also use the driving car in a local rake with my Swiss express Re4/4.

1352002851_RBDe44.jpg.3df4c5be1f9e09dd0a5e4a67601307cf.jpg

Best regards and stay safe,

Jeremy

Edited by cornish trains jez

Been experimenting with railings. My first consideration was to solder some together but then I stumbled across this offering from Plastruct.

I've just blu tacked them in place to see how they would look. They will be painted a light grey.

What does everyone think? Do they look over scale or just right?

892177203_railings1.jpg.53d5842c02519c126fec2f595f8cb459.jpg

2024290811_railings2.jpg.242cc58084f30c25946c393397e8646b.jpg

37765044_railings3.jpg.97598613aa43b221d4bf775339774ea1.jpg

I'm going for this look..

BLS Re 465 007 & 011 Lotschberg South Ramp 29 July 2011 (3)

Jeremy

• Like 2

2 hours ago, cornish trains jez said:

Been experimenting with railings. My first consideration was to solder some together but then I stumbled across this offering from Plastruct.

I've just blu tacked them in place to see how they would look. They will be painted a light grey.

What does everyone think? Do they look over scale or just right?

892177203_railings1.jpg.53d5842c02519c126fec2f595f8cb459.jpg

2024290811_railings2.jpg.242cc58084f30c25946c393397e8646b.jpg

37765044_railings3.jpg.97598613aa43b221d4bf775339774ea1.jpg

I'm going for this look..

BLS Re 465 007 & 011 Lotschberg South Ramp 29 July 2011 (3)

Jeremy

It's only my opinion, but I wonder if they look overscale due to the bright white colour? They would probably blend in more once the right colour and weathered. But they do stand out a bit at the moment. Otherwise I can also only agree with Ian that for fencing and railings etchings have never let me down in the past and I have struggled to get anything realistic looking in plastic.  

All the best,

Dave

Edited by DavidMcKenzie
  • Like 1

Thank you for your comments and suggestions.  I've taken a look at Modellbahn-Lippe and, while there isn't anything that I feel would suit the bridge, I have found some other bits in that shop that would be great for some other projects on the layout.

I think I'm going to paint them and then try them in place again and see how they look. Like Dave says, the white colour does make them stand out and they may blend in better painted. If they still don't look right, I'm going to get the soldering iron out and make some out of wire.

Made a start on the post container depot this evening.....

Jeremy

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Might work out toned down with paint, if you can get your hands on some, these would fit the bill - 

Faller 272404 N Scale - IRON RAILING.

Really enjoying watching you progress - thanks for taking the time to share.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

I notice on your photo of the real railing that (1) it has only 2 rails, no bottom rail, and (2) it is attached to the outside of the  concrete structure rather than sitting on top. It would be a lot more faff but you could cut out the bottom sections between the posts and glue it to the outside of the beam. Or as a compromise, keep the bottom rail and glue it to the outside of the bridge, flush with the top of the concrete. But even if you keep it as is, the right colour will do a lot to make it blend in. 

Edited by Frutigen
  • Like 1

Morning all,

I have been working on the post container depot over the weekend. Luckily Thun has google earth 3D at this location so I had already taken some measurements for my card mock up. I decided to retake all the measurements for the actual model just to ensure that it was going to be as accurate as possible. This building seems to have two floors and I've decided to build them seperately and then merge them towards the end. The first floor does over hang the ground floor on the road side of the building.

Here is the track side progress on the first floor so far.

419403596_Postdepot1.jpg.044272a1f419540f44cdc60c8024ab8c.jpg

This video shows the track side view of the building as the Doppelpfeil passes through Thun station and heads past the depot.

Jeremy

• Like 11

Hi Jeremy,

I hope you don't mind me asking your opinion. I've seen Fleischmann, Kato and mintrix (amount others?) Make Re460/465s. Do you have any experience between the quality of the different models? For the Re4/4s the new Fleischmann model visually looks a big improvement over some of the older versions (unfortunately don't seem to be able to find it anywhere in red, only in green), but from photos I couldn't see such obvious quality differences with the 460/465s (but that doesn't mean that there are no differences in reality). The swiss bug is really close to getting me. 

All the best,

Dave

On 01/06/2020 at 20:10, DavidMcKenzie said:

Hi Jeremy,

I hope you don't mind me asking your opinion. I've seen Fleischmann, Kato and mintrix (amount others?) Make Re460/465s. Do you have any experience between the quality of the different models? For the Re4/4s the new Fleischmann model visually looks a big improvement over some of the older versions (unfortunately don't seem to be able to find it anywhere in red, only in green), but from photos I couldn't see such obvious quality differences with the 460/465s (but that doesn't mean that there are no differences in reality). The swiss bug is really close to getting me. 

All the best,

Dave

Hi Dave,

Yes, you are quite right, all three manufacturers produce both locos. I have more experience with the Re460's as, on my last Swiss layout, I had both Minitrix and Kato offerings (the Fleischmann version not being available at that time).

From my perspective, I think the Kato has a slight edge on the Minitrix variant. The one thing that I din't like about the Minitrix 460 is that it has a massive gap at the front in the fairing where the coupling is. The Kato versions are a little more subtle. Both have white directional lights but no red tail lights.

The newer Fleischmann offering is much better, it has a lot of detailing, the pantographs are much finer, blackened, and there is also directional white/red head and tail lights. Great if you are running push pull operations, say with an IC2000 set or EWiv set. One thing I particularly like with the Fleischmann versions is the bag of additional detailing parts, which allows you to add the pipes but also, to remove the coupling and fill the gap with a clip in part, which makes the front fairing flat and true to the prototype. The Kato ones have also been updated and feature nice plastic pantographs which look really good.

If you are looking for the advertising liveried locos, Kato and Minitrix have quite a repertoire of offerings.

With regards to the  Re465's, I've got a few Kato versions and will probably only buy Kato or Fleischmann.

Hope this helps, and the Swiss bug WILL get to you eventually! :)

Jeremy

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Good evening,

Made some more progress on my SBB ICN 500 driving car over the weekend. The white coat has finally dried after taking near on two weeks to fully dry. A bit weird that! Anyway, having been in contact with an SBB train driver, he very kindly obtained for me the official SBB colour chart and official stock logo sizes and coach/loco detailing and associated chart for corresponding Humbrol paints which represent  the closest match. So went the red last night and its already dry...maybe something to do with the weather!

Just the black, and two shades of grey to go on. Then I'll need to work out how I can make some home made transfers to finish it off.

Current state of play...It was a nightmare to mask with the sweeping curves up the front sides from the cab, even worse than when I masked my N gauge class 317 and sprayed it into NSE livery!!

2084814839_ICNprogress1.jpg.d5583388db512fcb02887380e54c63d1.jpg

9490026_ICNprogress1frontview.jpg.fe0e5e95a829154142202fbf1786caa4.jpg

Jeremy

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

8 hours ago, RBE said:

Good effort matey. You should have a go at doing swallow stripes around the front of an N gauge HST bud. Thats actually impossible I think! :D

ha ha yes! I struggled when I did the buffered HST power car in exec livery, that was hard enough just with doing the white stripe!

On 01/06/2020 at 22:16, cornish trains jez said:

Hi Dave,

Yes, you are quite right, all three manufacturers produce both locos. I have more experience with the Re460's as, on my last Swiss layout, I had both Minitrix and Kato offerings (the Fleischmann version not being available at that time).

From my perspective, I think the Kato has a slight edge on the Minitrix variant. The one thing that I din't like about the Minitrix 460 is that it has a massive gap at the front in the fairing where the coupling is. The Kato versions are a little more subtle. Both have white directional lights but no red tail lights.

The newer Fleischmann offering is much better, it has a lot of detailing, the pantographs are much finer, blackened, and there is also directional white/red head and tail lights. Great if you are running push pull operations, say with an IC2000 set or EWiv set. One thing I particularly like with the Fleischmann versions is the bag of additional detailing parts, which allows you to add the pipes but also, to remove the coupling and fill the gap with a clip in part, which makes the front fairing flat and true to the prototype. The Kato ones have also been updated and feature nice plastic pantographs which look really good.

If you are looking for the advertising liveried locos, Kato and Minitrix have quite a repertoire of offerings.

With regards to the  Re564's, I've got a few Kato versions and will probably only buy Kato or Fleischmann.

Hope this helps, and the Swiss bug WILL get to you eventually! :)

Jeremy

Thanks for the tips Jeremy, all very useful and your layout is really motivating me. I feel a bit like I am starting all over again compared to the late 90s WCML stock collection. It's fun and interesting starting from almost nothing (both in terms of experience/knowledge and actual stock) again. 

Do you know when the 2000 number was removed from the front of all the SBB Re560s? I was looking through my old photos (1995-2001) and it looks like the only major difference between the current Fleischman model and the period I am dreaming of modeling.

1997-09, CFF, Osogna-Cresciano

Thanks again and all the best,

Dave

• Like 2

On 01/06/2020 at 23:22, cornish trains jez said:

Just looking at that cruel front close up, looks like I may need to do a little “tidying up” around the lower edges.

Close ups are always a bit cruel but the top photo especially looks very good! And the bottom photo only needs a small touch up. I've often cheated and added a very light weathering to make anything like that a little less obvious as well. Great to follow your progress thanks for posting.

Dave

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
25 minutes ago, DavidMcKenzie said:

Do you know when the 2000 number was removed from the front of all the SBB Re560s? I was looking through my old photos (1995-2001) and it looks like the only major difference between the current Fleischman model and the period I am dreaming of modeling.

Last picture I can find that shows the 460 with to "2000" on the front is 2005 and by 2007 none have it so I guess - 2006? Good resource here - https://www.railcolor.net/index.php?nav=1410914&lang=1&file=slm_5545_51&action=image&position=

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

Evening all,

Lots going on with the layout at the moment. The bridge is still progressing, I've started the road overbridge, I've been scratchbuilding some turnouts that will be both compatible with Peco code 55 track and also continental stock, and I've made a start on some scratchbuilt OHLE masts tonight.

Here are a few photos of my first efforts on the OHLE. I've used 1.5mm brass H section and a mixture of 0.31mm and 0.5mm wire. The tensioners are somerfeldt ones which I have a small stash of. First of all, I drew a template on a piece of ply and then blue tacked the parts in place while soldering to keep them in position. I also used two small pieces of 0.75mm thick plasticard placed under the wire parts so that they soldered to the middle of the mast.

1009808851_OHLEsinglemast.jpg.d9b46be0e3ae9e7e8fc3db07b2757ed4.jpg

703478184_OHLEwithRe460.jpg.95089a45df932a95bc5c41633ae4819a.jpg

1680298140_OHLEtwomasts.jpg.0c0fb0fe697a032b9e4ada68234f1de5.jpg

I used this photo for reference posted on Flickr by Vectron X4E:

SBB Re 460 072-2 Reuss, IR BS-ZH Umiken

Jeremy

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1