Gelternau (Formerly Konigsbrucke) - Swiss 2mm N scale layout 1997 - 2005 (with some present day stock too)

cornish trains jez

• RMweb Premium

The sleeper spacing in Europe is different to the UK, and in the US they are even closer together. Peco chose a compromise spacing so they could sell their track worldwide. Only recently have they produced UK spacing OO track.

I still do not know if all European countries use the same spacing, or what it should be.

• RMweb Premium

All I can say is: “Well done!” for tackling sleeper spacing.  A few years ago I tried it on a Micro-Layout (OO) to use up some old Setrack:

spacer.png

spacer.png

I probably only had to do three or four yards’ worth - but that was enough to put me off for life!  One day I’d be curious to try making some track, but unless or until that day comes around I’ll live with the compromises in commercial track, Keith.

• Like 1

On 19/02/2024 at 08:26, Ian Morgan said:

I still do not know if all European countries use the same spacing, or what it should be.

Hi Ian,

I’m not sure either to be honest but I’m just going off photos I’ve seen  and screen shots from videos.

It seems the wooden sleeper spacing is fairly close so the Peco track could be near enough spot on as in this screenshot at Olten station.

877D8B28-6032-4A0F-9816-A85A63474DDF.png.68f190808016bf14f11c49143952a495.png

Its more the concrete spacing which seems to be different depending on location and when the track has been renewed.

I’ve used this screen shot from Google street at Rupperswil as a reference.

The spacing seems further apart here so thought I would try and replicate this on the layout

5BA171F9-98BF-4474-B269-37A1BAA4054C.png.15072b8f07b458972863a3ef5ea1c6d0.png

Best regards,

Jeremy

• Like 2

On 19/02/2024 at 11:24, Keith Addenbrooke said:

All I can say is: “Well done!” for tackling sleeper spacing.  A few years ago I tried it on a Micro-Layout (OO) to use up some old Setrack:

spacer.png

spacer.png

I probably only had to do three or four yards’ worth - but that was enough to put me off for life!  One day I’d be curious to try making some track, but unless or until that day comes around I’ll live with the compromises in commercial track, Keith.

That looks good Keith.

There’s about 16 meters of concrete sleepered track on the main running lines of Gelternau so I’ll probably do it bit by bit to break up the monotony a bit.

I’m carrying on with one of the buildings today so will update later with progress on that. A late Sunday lunch first though!

Best regards,

Jeremy

• Friendly/supportive 1

Hi Jeremy,

If you find a good quality photo of a real loco, that you also have a model of, you can count the number of sleepers between the front and rear wheels. You can then do a similar thing with your model loco using the track of your choice and compare the figures. I know model loco measurements aren't always perfectly accurate but most new ones are pretty good.

I have done a few comparisons with An Ae 3/5, Ae 6/8, Crocodile, Ae 6/6 and Re 460 and in each case they indicated that the Peco Code 55 wooden sleeper spacing should actually be very slightly closer. I don't have any concrete sleeper track so wasn't able to test that.

John

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well that’s 97 windows cut out! Just need to file down and clean around some of the apertures. Then cut out and add some more of the external details before attaching to the side walls. I also need to figure out window frames. I’m definitely leaning more towards 3D printed ones, so will have to research this a bit.

8AB4D4A6-E420-47A0-93E4-D01007E86EDD.jpeg.1843f2ae091ed53247db24a569fdae45.jpeg

Best regards,

Jeremy

• Like 7

Jeremy

I would be tempted to contact York Modelmaking - they do a bespoke laser cutting service. I have used their windows and doors in layouts and find them better than 3D printed items.

Nick 

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

10 hours ago, stivesnick said:

Jeremy

I would be tempted to contact York Modelmaking - they do a bespoke laser cutting service. I have used their windows and doors in layouts and find them better than 3D printed items.

Nick 

7 hours ago, swisspeat said:

I have used their products also. Very good quality. 

Thanks chaps. I’ll look them up at see if they can help out.

Best regards,

Jeremy

Afternoon all,

Been adding some more layers to the front of the office block.

There is panelling just under each of the window rows and for this I found that 2mm spaced planking from a 0.5mm plastic embossed sheet seemed to be the best fit looking at Google street views of the real thing and the number of panels underneath each window aperture.

Here is a screenshot of the real thing from Google street view.

33888488-0880-4D52-97F4-4D08B8B435BA.png.977e6106af3c9cd186ca2d407820759f.png

DC37A11A-6636-4ABA-AD84-789D1BC49A2E.png.d5d9bfb1d4197e20b1e0f448a607dc1b.png

And here is the paneling fitted to the model. I think it’s worked out quite well. There are still some more layering details and strips to add to finish but quite happy so far.

9B785943-0DF1-439D-8D22-AB6E9980D7DA.jpeg.21e453e0877e8970a14b504838522597.jpeg

Some of the window apertures need cleaning up still but now I have the panelling on it will make this much easier to ensure they are all as identical as possible

I’m going to send some drawings to York Modelmakers this week for the window frames and see what they can come up with for me.

Best regards,

Jeremy

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

Evening all,

Question for the floor -

I have a dilemma with regards to the back of the office block that I am currently building. Here is a Google street view of the back of the building.

35F023D4-A27E-443E-A824-52241B46736C.jpeg.08bf1eb44ce57c4c404853cb0f6a78c2.jpeg

As you can see, another large batch of windows to be cut out! 😬

So here is my question:

Bearing in mind that this is the back of the building and it is going to sit about 15cm or so from the back scene, do I really need to model all the windows? At absolute best, the view will be the one below from the front/far end of the layout. I doubt the back will be able to be viewed at all, let alone see all the window details.

C067CECD-A8F7-4914-A3F8-6A1D37CEF031.jpeg.8a931ba0f53881d488b815cdb9bf78a8.jpeg

Could I get away with adding a plain back to the building and just having the fire escape staircase as the sole detail to one side and the large chimneys to the other?

The only issue I can see is that “I’ll always know that there are no windows modelled to the rear”.

All comments and suggestions very welcome.

Best regards,

Jeremy

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jez.  Good question.  Perhaps you could print / paint a wall with fake windows as a compromise between a plain solid wall and another round of cutting out the windows?  Just a thought, Keith.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

The windows look quite recessed, plus both ends are blocked with the fire escape and chimneys, so just adding the horizontal rows of panelling with painted windows in between should be enough. If it's not easily visible I wouldn't worry too much about it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Is anyone going to look behind the building? My guess is that only you will be aware there are no windows? 

Does that really matter?

I confess to building structures with no windows on the back wall where it is not visible. My view is I am making a representation of a building not a precise copy.

you have a relatively large N scale layout to build. Personally I would take the easy way out on this one.

once you have the building in place and move on you will forget about a few holes!

😀🫣 

Peter

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Can you make the rear wall replaceable, maybe a slide in or something? That way you can leave it blank for now and give yourself the option to go back and finish it later. 

• Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Hi guys,

Many thanks for your comments and suggestions.

I think I’m going to go with a combination of all suggestions. I’ll model the back wall with the doors for the fire escapes as they are on the end and could be potentially visible. The windows I’ll try and print or maybe just leave blank and paint a dark grey or something, but I’ll add the panelling so at least it’s there. This means no window cutting so should be straight forward.

Best regards,

Jeremy

• Like 4