If you're new to the forum this is an ideal place to introduce yourself.

North Wales Tyke here

Andrew Thorpe

Bora Da all!

I'm a returnee to model railways and very impressed by some of the developments that happened during my 35yr hiatus. I did take a first and false start with n Gauge but worked out it wasn't for me, after buying a fair few bits which I'll now have to sell on, such is life! Anyway I have now settled on WW1 after buying the Bachman ambulance train pack. This was followed up after watching Sams Trains with the amazing N7, I've also got Oxfords gun train and Dean Goods, the Hattons P class in ROD. I'm running at present on a make do track with a gaugemaster controller. Now I really like that controller, solid build!

im now starting to think about a layout and based on my stock let's face it, it's WW1 isn't it, so epoch two with a continental tinge, possibly! I did come up with the idea of Heaven and Hell ie a split board with one half idyllic scenery, nice things happening e.g. Children playing, harvesting, etc and then the hell of the front. However thinking it might be too ambitious and crowding too much in. I'm still in fact attempting to establish how big it'll be!

Very lucky to be where I am in that one of my shops customers happens to have been a Swindon Works apprentice back in ahem and helped build the Evening Star as well as servicing a whole load of different engines in his time. I'm attempting to pursuade him back into the hobby and dust down his collection! I feel I owe big thanks to several Youtubers who've been generous to share their knowledge, Charlie, Callum and Sam being but three, all of whom have excellent and very different channels. 

Hi Andrew, and wey hey - I'm no longer the newest newbie on here!

I wonder why N gauge didn't work out for you?  I didn't fancy clearing out the loft so just don't have room to consider anything else.  OO would have to be not much more than a simple oval and I don't want just a 'train set'.  N gauge lets me think big - in a small sort of way - and now that I've got started the N gauge trains are looking kinda cute!

Hello Mike,

to be honest it was a Ratio model of a signal box. Don't get me wrong it's fantastic, but I'd dipped my toe in with the Metcalfe newspaper stand and I really struggled with that. The signal box happens to have firebuckets placed outside it and the instructions for the handles to use fine fuse wire. Sounds ok, except the buckets are half a grain of rice in size. Not with my great big fingers is that happening! Shame really. Good luck with yours!

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Are you me?

35 years away from the hobby and living in North Wales (Buckley - but currently on secondment in Swansea)

Been dabling for a few years now but boy, has the world moved on since the 1980's !