Disconnect DCC power to turntable while rotating...

johndon

I'm working on a layout that uses DCC and has a turntable.  The turntable motion is driven, completely independently of the DCC, via an Arduino Uno with two buttons, one turns the table 180 degrees clockwise and the other turns it 180 degrees anti-clockwise.

Is there a way, when one of the buttons is pressed and the turntable starts to move to kill the DCC power to the rails on the turntable then turn it back again once the turntable has finished moving?

John

58 minutes ago, johndon said:

I'm working on a layout that uses DCC and has a turntable.  The turntable motion is driven, completely independently of the DCC, via an Arduino Uno with two buttons, one turns the table 180 degrees clockwise and the other turns it 180 degrees anti-clockwise.

Is there a way, when one of the buttons is pressed and the turntable starts to move to kill the DCC power to the rails on the turntable then turn it back again once the turntable has finished moving?

If that is your requirement, then a relay board (lots on Ebay) could cut the power to one of the track feeds to the turntable, and turn it back on again when rotation has completed.   Easy enough to attach to your Arduino and to add as a couple of extra lines of code. 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Depending on how you are providing power to the turntable bed, mechanically, use wipers to pick up from the main track to the rail on the turntable bed or design the feed commutator to do that.

1 hour ago, WIMorrison said:

Can someone enlighten me as to why you would want to remove the power from the turntable please? I can see a reason on DC, but not with DCC :(

We want to be absolutely certain that there is no chance of locos moving when the table is in motion. 

• Thanks 1

Same reason as JohnDon,  the turntable on Burntisland 1883 (inside a roundhouse engine shed) is disconnected when in motion so there is no chance of locos moving accidentally.   We also only power the connecting roads which are aligned with the stationary turntable, and only power when the cameras and lights are switched on so the operator can see what's happening via the camera,  have further interlocks to stop things running into other moving items.      

- Nigel

• RMweb Premium

You could use a DPDT switch. Run one side of the power to the turntable through one side of the DPDT and run the track power to the deck through the other end of the other side.

On my DC layout, I used a variation as I ran the TT motor from the track throttle.

It still allowed me to run locos into the pit!

5 hours ago, BR60103 said:

You could use a DPDT switch. Run one side of the power to the turntable through one side of the DPDT and run the track power to the deck through the other end of the other side.

On my DC layout, I used a variation as I ran the TT motor from the track throttle.

We’ve already got a switch but figured we might be able to get rid of it if it could be controlled by the Arduino. 

5 hours ago, BR60103 said:

We’ve already got a switch but figured we might be able to get rid of it if it could be controlled by the Arduino.