Grand Central to Blackpool

• RMweb Gold

If GC are using Mk IV’s with their Class 90’s, I hope they’ve sorted out the problems VTEC and LNER had when the 90 was leading, effectively had to resort to flags and whistles because driver/conductor comms wouldn’t work on several sets.

Any news on when this service is due to start?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

There is nothing wrong with flags and whistles.  What has worked since the dawn of railways is still in daily use in some areas and remains the default fall-back if other systems fail. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

I've been told that first trial run is scheduled for tomorrow - real time trains reveals:

5P51   07:36 London Euston - Blackpool North (calling at Milton Keynes, Nuneaton, Preston, Kirkham & Wesham and Poulton-le Fylde)

5P83   12:23 Blackpool North - London Euston (calling at Poulton-le-Fylde, Kirkham & Wesham, Preston, Nuneaton and Milton Keynes)

https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/W45804/2020-02-22/detailed

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

There is nothing wrong with flags and whistles.  What has worked since the dawn of railways is still in daily use in some areas and remains the default fall-back if other systems fail. 

I didn’t say there was any thing wrong with flags and whistles as it’s a wonderful backup but the moaning of the drivers getting out of their comfy seats to see the flags was a sight to behold :D

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

6 hours ago, jools1959 said:

I didn’t say there was any thing wrong with flags and whistles as it’s a wonderful backup but the moaning of the drivers getting out of their comfy seats to see the flags was a sight to behold :D

You can't lean out from the chair on a 90...

16 hours ago, SP Steve said:

I've been told that first trial run is scheduled for tomorrow - real time trains reveals:

5P51   07:36 London Euston - Blackpool North (calling at Milton Keynes, Nuneaton, Preston, Kirkham & Wesham and Poulton-le Fylde)

5P83   12:23 Blackpool North - London Euston (calling at Poulton-le-Fylde, Kirkham & Wesham, Preston, Nuneaton and Milton Keynes)

https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/W45804/2020-02-22/detailed

Just clicked on the link

""This service was cancelled due to the planned cancellation (was not planned to operate) (PD).""

:o:o

:D

23 hours ago, jools1959 said:

If GC are using Mk IV’s with their Class 90’s, I hope they’ve sorted out the problems VTEC and LNER had when the 90 was leading, effectively had to resort to flags and whistles because driver/conductor comms wouldn’t work on several sets.

Any news on when this service is due to start?

Wouldn't that affect the use of any 90, are at least any without UIC?

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, MarkC said:

""This service was cancelled due to the planned cancellation (was not planned to operate) (PD).""

Used when an agreed pathway exists but is not required.  "Planned to operate" would mean the path is activated by the operator notifying the respective parties that they intend to run a specific train.  

You will see this message frequently if you inhabit RTT's detailed search pages.  It also turns up elsewhere including on staff systems at times.  It can apply to scheduled timetabled passenger trains but typically only when there is a planned alteration such as engineering works however it is more commonly used in the case of non-passenger workings such as, in this case, a test or trial run.  

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Above paths are cancelled. Just one single journey in the system for today.

https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/W45805/2020-02-29/detailed

91t trailing load isn't much. Just 2 coaches or one coach and DVT?

EDIT: It was activated at 0933 but nothing appeared on the board.

Cheers

David

Edited by DavidB-AU
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

According to Railcam data some workings are light engine for route training.

Not all go as far as Blackpool and are diesels.

e.g. 0Z97 Crewe to Wigan & return, 16:18 from Crewe on Monday 2nd.

Not on RTT

• RMweb Gold

I’m wondering why GC went to the expense of hiring in DBC Class 90’s when there’s soon going to be a surplus Class 91’s for which the MkIV’s were built for?

• Funny 1

52 minutes ago, jools1959 said:

I’m wondering why GC went to the expense of hiring in DBC Class 90’s when there’s soon going to be a surplus Class 91’s for which the MkIV’s were built for?

A number of reasons - not being tilt enabled means the Mk4s will be limited to 110mph, so there's no point in having 125 capable locos, secondly, now LNER are keeping some Class 91s to expand services, and with Europhoenix planning to export 91s in pairs regeared for freight to the Continent, it's unlikely there will be a surplus.  There's also a suggestion that the gearing on the 90s is better for quick acceleration compared to the 91s which if having to be pathed amongst the mix of 110mph Desiros, 125mph Pendolini and 115-120mph Voyagers is going to make pathing easier.

Plus GC are an Arriva company, which is still owned by DB, and whilst I doubt DB will be doing mate's rates for their hire, Arriva have hired in traction from DB previously when they had the Wales and Borders franchise so are probably happy to keep it in house, if semi-detached.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jools1959 said:

Not worth the hassle or cost for such a small fleet?

GC are only needing 5 locos, that would be a small number to be cost effective to have maintenance in house.

So better to hire something in, and thus better to use whatever the hire company has (and thus have easy substitutions available) than to specify somebody bring in a small number of Class 91s to satisfy your contract.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
21 hours ago, jools1959 said:

Its all about acceleration. The Mk4s can only run at 110mph on the WCML as they are not tilt fitted, so a 125mph loco is not needed. A class 90 is quicker to accelerate than a 91, and they need that extra boost to keep to their paths. If Grand Central ever get their Stirling to London service approved I expect they’ll be 90 hauled as well, unless they make an order for new locos, which is probably quite doubtful. Be very cool if they ordered new electric locos and some Mk5s though. 

• Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

4 minutes ago, nightstar.train said:

Its all about acceleration. The Mk4s can only run at 110mph on the WCML as they are not tilt fitted, so a 125mph loco is not needed. A class 90 is quicker to accelerate than a 91, and they need that extra boost to keep to their paths. If Grand Central ever get their Stirling to London service approved I expect they’ll be 90 hauled as well, unless they make an order for new locos, which is probably quite doubtful. Be very cool if they ordered new electric locos and some Mk5s though. 

The Stirling to Euston plan is Grand Union, same as London to Cardiff. Grand Union is not part of GC, Arriva or DB.

Grand Union plans to use 91s with MK4s (well until new IETs enter service).

• Thanks 1