B set coach bogies

Hi all,

I've got some E140 B Set coaches that I want to convert to E145 with the longer 9' bogies.

Looking at the incredibly useful gwr.org site, it says they are 9' heavy bogies - are these the same as the Bachmann Collett bogies 36-010 (I thought these were later pressed steel type but other RMwebbers have used them).

I'm a bit confused.

Many thanks

Will

• RMweb Gold

The bogie pivot position has to be altered inwards for the longer bogies; you cut the cross piece stretcher moulded into the coach floor out and reposition it towards the centre of the coach with it's outside edge aligned with the inside edge of the hole you've just cut.  This can also be done the other way around, moving the pivot position outwards, to fit Collett 7' bogies to Airfix/Hornby A28/30 auto trailers, to convert them to A27.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

More or less.  Tip is very old, can’t recall where I first came across it, but it was back in the 80s.  Your t/l coupling should protrude out from the buffer beam exactly the same distance as before.  It doesn’t necessarily hold true in all cases, though; I have a couple of Silurian era K’s whitemetal kit A31 auto trailers.  These have 3 different types of bogie, Fishbelly, ‘American’, and Collett 7’, all of different wheelbases and frame sizes.   The pivot position on the coach was the same whatever bogies were fitted, which has implications for coupling and buffer locking on layouts with curves too sharp for scale couplings to be used.  

• Thanks 1

Here is how I repositioned the bogie mount on the Airfix auto to take 7fts instead of the 9ft mounting. The same would apply to the B set, just fixed the other way round. Cut alongside the bolster, but leave an excess on the other side (about 4mm from memory), for the B set the excess being towards the centre. Then flip and stick back in. You can put a false floor above to give the plastic a base to fix to.

Mike Wiltshire

985070924_A28Underframe1.jpg.51fdcb8b87cd03f6d2b06ad1cd4ddb3c.jpg

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

I've got another question (sorry)

I'm planning to use the sets of the redundant 7' bogies for a O7 SIPHON F and an O11 SIPHON G. These were originally both fitted with 9' bogies.  Do I need to move the bogie pivot for these?  I've looked in the Slinn SIPHONs book and both diagrams have 9' bogies.  The photos I have seen are all from a diagonal so it is not obvious.

I would assume that the pivots stay where they were as it would be major undertaking to move the bogie pivot on a real vehicle and I can't see any benefit when fitting a smaller bogie.

Does anyone know for sure one way or the other?

Many thanks

Will

2 hours ago, WillCav said:

I've got another question (sorry)

I'm planning to use the sets of the redundant 7' bogies for a O7 SIPHON F and an O11 SIPHON G. These were originally both fitted with 9' bogies.  Do I need to move the bogie pivot for these?  I've looked in the Slinn SIPHONs book and both diagrams have 9' bogies.  The photos I have seen are all from a diagonal so it is not obvious.

I would assume that the pivots stay where they were as it would be major undertaking to move the bogie pivot on a real vehicle and I can't see any benefit when fitting a smaller bogie.

Does anyone know for sure one way or the other?

Many thanks

Will

The pivot stays in the same place for the Siphon F.

You have to extend the couplings out if you are using tension locks.

• RMweb Gold
On 02/03/2020 at 12:18, WillCav said:

The Siphon G retains the same bogie mounting point. As you say, it would be a lot of effort to move it and these things swapped bogies seemingly regularly. There's a nice side on pic on Paul Bartlett's site:

https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/gwrsiphon

2nd page, top row, far right.

• Informative/Useful 1

• 3 months later...
On 27/02/2020 at 00:11, Coach bogie said:

Here is how I repositioned the bogie mount on the Airfix auto to take 7fts instead of the 9ft mounting. The same would apply to the B set, just fixed the other way round. Cut alongside the bolster, but leave an excess on the other side (about 4mm from memory), for the B set the excess being towards the centre. Then flip and stick back in. You can put a false floor above to give the plastic a base to fix to.

Mike Wiltshire

985070924_A28Underframe1.jpg.51fdcb8b87cd03f6d2b06ad1cd4ddb3c.jpg

Mike,

I eventually got round to my E145 conversions and used the trick above - really easy - thanks

20200624_110007.jpg.d03e9542a6dc70933fdd01fb2577a13e.jpg

Here's the 1st one re-bogied. The only issue I had was the toughness of the plastic. I drilled the corners out to make it easier.

Thanks again for the tip

Will

• Craftsmanship/clever 1