Inglenook Sidings in OO

petejones

I have a baseboard available measuring 240cm x 44cm available and was wondering if this would be a good size for a "large" Inglenook-type layout. Inspired by one of Phil's lovely drawings in the gallery, I came up with this track plan:

Inglenook.jpg.ec1d8fa929a96ac9546a643921196da7.jpg

Only two turnouts and five lengths of track - even I can afford that!

Pete

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, petejones said:

I have a baseboard available measuring 240cm x 44cm available and was wondering if this would be a good size for a "large" Inglenook-type layout. Inspired by one of Phil's lovely drawings in the gallery, I came up with this track plan:

Inglenook.jpg.ec1d8fa929a96ac9546a643921196da7.jpg

Only two turnouts and five lengths of track - even I can afford that!

Pete

A large inglenook sounds lovely - why not swap out the point feeding the two short sidings for a double slip: then when you aren't doing the puzzle itself you can have a little fun with a kickback siding. Would you be using DC or DCC control?

Cheers,

Will

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, AireValley1962 said:

Any ideas for scenic development- cityscape, industrial, countryside?

I was thinking about a winter scene, quite bleak, with a couple of "modern" warehouses at the back, projecting out from the back scene at an angle to match the siding top left (I may have to straighten that a bit).

• Like 3

2 hours ago, petejones said:

Back to the original orientation now and I have added a signal box...

474807112_WinterSidingsv.5.4.jpg.ec65da946e303bd1e709bad4b2393162.jpg

Hopefully I don't sound too pedantic here, but more than likely there wouldn't be a signal box for a set of sidings like this - unless you made it appear that the bottom-most left siding continued on somewhere, or used to, but now has been truncated. But it is your layout, and if you like a signal box, go for it!

• Agree 1

26 minutes ago, AireValley1962 said:

Hopefully I don't sound too pedantic here, but more than likely there wouldn't be a signal box for a set of sidings like this - unless you made it appear that the bottom-most left siding continued on somewhere, or used to, but now has been truncated. But it is your layout, and if you like a signal box, go for it!

Who'se to say that the main part of the station isn't to the right of the Signal box?   :good_mini:

Julian

Edited by jcredfer
  • Agree 2

11 minutes ago, jcredfer said:

Who'se to say that the main part of the station isn't to the right of the Signal boz?

It sure is! I may add a level crossing to the right of the box, at the edge of the baseboard just to emphasize the point.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

3 hours ago, petejones said:

It sure is! I may add a level crossing to the right of the box, at the edge of the baseboard just to emphasize the point.

Makes sense, then! Perhaps it would be helpful to post a plan showing what you're not modelling to put everything in perspective. I had to do that with my new layout, and it helped me make sense of what I was trying to do. 

Cheers,

Will

• Agree 1

Of course, the extra length offers the possibility of Inglenook operation using bogie and long wheelbase stock. Indeed, if you kept the scenery suitably generic, there is scope to operate with US or European H0 stock as well, if you so fancied. 

• petejones changed the title to Inglenook Sidings in OO

Purchased a nice weathered Class 37 in BR Green today (D6711), plus some bulk grain wagons and three 9-plank wagons (unpainted). I need to get some plywood to create a backscene. Turnouts and signal box should be here tomorrow!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Which I would imagine would complicate matters somewhat with regards to signalling requirements?

Mike.

Maybe, but I didn't say how far to the right.....    :pardon_mini:   could even simplify the signalling, with the block entered at the exit from the Stn, just...  just, out  of sight.

Julian

• Like 2

On 22/02/2020 at 14:48, petejones said:

A level crossing box may be possible even if it's not a block post though that would imply the long siding being a line apparently running through (I think my grandfather worked a box like that 'as required' just before he retired. I certainly remember the wheel for the crossing gates.

The cunning alternative would be to lay a second unconnected track alongside the through track so making it a double track line though the yard would then need to have a trailing connection to the adjoining main line track. The box could then be a normal block post that also controlled access to the yard. Such a yard could only be worked by a local goods going in one direction but that wasn't unusual. (There might be a trailing crossover somewhere but that could be off scene) The other main line track would be a dummy of course but a nice place to display any other train "waiting for the starter".

Edited by Pacific231G
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1