TMC announce Heljan OO 'Peak' in early guise.

AY Mod

• Moderators

TMC announce exclusive version of new HELJAN Derby/Sulzer ‘Peak’

HEL45090.jpeg

TMC has commissioned Heljan to produce an exclusive OO gauge model of the first 5 production Class 45 'Peak’ locomotives, D11 - D15, which had detail differences to the remainder of the class. The models are being produced alongside the first production run by Heljan and are expected be available towards the end of 2020 at same RRP as the general release models.

These five locos featured a different nose end arrangement with centre nose end doors and split headcode boxes on either side. The arrangement lasted from 1960 until the late-1960s when the ends were gradually rebuilt at Derby Works. The quintet also had longer cab door handrails, in common with the ten Pilot Scheme Class 44s (D1-D10).

On delivery they were initially allocated to Derby but most were soon transferred to Leeds Holbeck, Leeds Neville Hill or Sheffield Darnall before returning to Derby. They spent a few years at Derby and in the Nottingham District before returning to Holbeck. They could be seen on express workings from London St Pancras and on cross-country services from Newcastle to Bristol, as well as on goods and parcels workings - a true mixed traffic design.

Delivered in BR Green with a white lower bodyside stripe, they soon gained small yellow warning panels. At least one received an 'economy green' repaint with small yellow panel and at least one survived long enough in its as-built condition to receive BR Rail Blue with full yellow ends. As the 1960s drew to a close their front ends were rebuilt to remove the gangway doors and replace the split headcode boxes with a centrally placed headcode panel.

Standard features will include authentic LED lighting with separately switched cab light, tail light and headcode functions (DCC only), a 21-pin DCC decoder interface, provision for DCC sound, a pack of optional detailing parts and fine detailing throughout.

TMC’s Exclusive Models will cover the entire history of this distinctive Class 45 design: Cat no 45090 - D13 BR Green with side stripe Cat no 45091 - D11 BR Green with side stripe and small yellow warning panels Cat no 45092 - D12 in 'Economy Green' with small yellow warning panels Cat no 45093 - D15 BR Blue with full yellow ends

TMC will be providing a full range of weathering options for these models as well as DCC and DCC sound options.

www.themodelcentre.com/class-45

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

• 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...
  • RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, D9001 said:

It’s been nearly a year since the last TMC update on this. I appreciate the effects of Covid and the new importing regulations but is there any further update ? 

I received their spring 2021 flyer with a recent order from TMC, which says Imminent Release, and points to the website where there are now pre production samples. 

On 10/04/2021 at 23:00, stovepipe said:

I received their spring 2021 flyer with a recent order from TMC, which says Imminent Release, and points to the website where there are now pre production samples. 

Great! Thanks

On 10/04/2021 at 23:00, stovepipe said:

TMC advised me today that it would be “some time this year but there is no definite date yet” so it’s going to be a while by the sound of things. Gives me time to save up for payment.

Edited by D9001
  • Agree 1

• 11 months later...
On 13/04/2021 at 20:44, D9001 said:

TMC advised me today that it would be “some time this year but there is no definite date yet” so it’s going to be a while by the sound of things. Gives me time to save up for payment.

As it’s a year since I posted this I was just wondering what progress there has been, can TMC update us please?  I appreciate its been a tough year, like.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

We're delighted to report that our superb new OO gauge Heljan Class 45s are finally in production and should start to reach us in October. 

As you may already know TMC has commissioned Heljan to produce an exclusive OO gauge model of the first 5 production Class 45 Peak locomotives D11 - D15 which had detail differences to the remainder of the class....

Cat no 45090 - D13 BR Green with side stripe

45090.gif.bb599eeaecc68008c9740cb2e5d171a8.gif

For more images of D13 click HERE

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Cat no 45091 - D11 BR Green with side stripe and small yellow warning panels

45091.gif.2bb80c1f1e16b6d7fbd7008ea991e0fd.gif

For more images of D11 click HERE

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Cat no 45092 - D12 in Economy Green with small yellow warning panels

45092.gif.8f9ea157d0fa070c70831959202db6c8.gif

For more images of D12 click HERE

Cat no 45093 - D15 BR Blue with full yellow ends

45093.gif.2d024b01fa2bdb55a99be05131348ede.gif

For more images of D15 click HERE

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

D15 duly ordered.

As this image have been posted elsewhere (my copyright) for completeness sake I’ll post it again in this thread. D15 at Temple Meads in 1970.
it looks like this image have been used in the prep for the model (same headcode, Holbeck on the buffers), do I get a discount :) 

Of great personal interest to me as In the photo, the guy closest to the camera is I’m 99% sure my grandfather, who was a fitter at Bath road at the time.

Neil

1C24967F-B295-46B8-BBB7-31FDF129A11D.jpeg.7305cda3ad02368c40bab1de969f9549.jpeg

Edited by Downendian
  • Like 12

• 3 weeks later...

In looking at the TMC rotating images above, it appears the Derby builders plates are both on the side at the B end of the locomotive.  I am correct in thinking that the plates should be located below the driver's window on each side? 

That would put one plate on the A end and one plate on the B end.

• Agree 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, MikeParkin65 said:

Cracking photo's - this is clearly a very well finished (apart from those silver wheels) model. 

It looks really good doesn’t it, I’ll be weathering it up soon

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Poor Old Bruce said:

Can anyone tell us what 1V45 and 1N27 were please?

They are both inter-regional codes. V is to the Western Region. N is to the North Eastern Region, implying a Newcastle to the South West duty.

Edit: Or Leeds to to the South West, since I see that D11 spent some time in Leeds (Neville Hill and Holbeck), but was never shedded at Gateshead.

Edited by Jeremy C
  • Thanks 1