New South Wales Government Rlys Wagons

MarcD

My latest project is wagon kits  for  New South Wales Government Railways. I have nearly  finished the design work for a 2 plank and a 3 plank open. both can be built a drop-side or or centre door version as well as fitted and unfitted (most wagons were fitted with Westinghouse air brake after 1898). I'm building my prototypes in S7 but the kits are designed to be built in S7 or FS and they should be available in the UK and Australia from April. Martin Hartley should be building some at this year's Aus7 forum on April 4th and we will have prototypes on our stand at GOG Doncaster in June.

Marc

2plk Ballest.jpg

2plk D.jpg

3plk D dropside.jpg

3plk D fitted.jpg

3plk D unfitted.jpg

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

If the lower wagon is intended to be a medium sided D wagon (2'3" sides) the door ironwork is too high up - this is more typical for a 2' sided D which were mostly built earlier.  

The buffers look to be a Turton type buffer but a shorter parallel buffer was standard on pre 1890 built wagons.

Good to see something like this, I might even grab some as it would make a change from modelling GWR.

Regards,

Craig W

I'm going to have  two types of buffers available. The parallel type on the unfitted and the turton type on the fitted ones. Having said this buffers could be swapped out on request.

The D class wagons are such a movable feast it's impossible to cover all bases the drawings are based on those in Ian Dunn's excellent book on NSWGR wagons. So if enough are sold other will follow.

Marc

5 hours ago, Furness Wagon said:

I'm going to have  two types of buffers available. The parallel type on the unfitted and the turton type on the fitted ones. Having said this buffers could be swapped out on request.

The D class wagons are such a movable feast it's impossible to cover all bases the drawings are based on those in Ian Dunn's excellent book on NSWGR wagons. So if enough are sold other will follow.

Marc

Very few of the 3 plank D wagons were fitted with Turton buffers and most of those that were had the fitted after 1914 when they had gone into non - revenue service. usually they retained the Cammell buffer and had and extension piece fitted behind it to bring them to the length of the Turton buffer. In the form shown they would be WH through pipe fitted. WH brake involved the fitting of outside clasp brakes to the wagon.

Good luck with producing these, I hope the local scene takes them up with enthusiasm.

Craig W

The D wagon kits were designed to be able to represent most variations from about 1890 through to the 1950s - by which time most were in non-revenue service. I've been referring to prototype photos with known dates where possible, but the "D" wagon has over a dozen different diagrams and it is hard to pin down all the details exactly.

The 2-plank type were a bit of an unexpected bonus as the main body was more-or-less the same as an existing wagon in the range. The main project is the 3-plank wagon, and there are plans to do a 4-plank version as well.

• 4 months later...

Just a quick up date on the progress. All the etched parts are ready to go to the etchers, most of the 3D CAD models are ready to go to the printer as soon as it arrives. I have also done the 3 plank with extended raves for shale/woodchip.

So the list of wagons that will be available by the end of september start of october

• A 1 plank  8ft6 wheel base
  • D 2 plank 8ft6 Wheel base short buffers
  • D 3 plank 9ft Wheel base short buffers
  • D 3 plank 9ft Wheel base Turton buffers
  • D 3 plank 8ft6 Wheel base short buffers
  • D 3 plank 8ft6 Wheel base Turton buffers
  • D 3 plank Shale 8ft6 Wheel base short buffers
  • D 3 plank Shale 9ft Wheel base short buffers

If these sell then we are going to look at

• D 4 plank steel under frame
  • D 5 plank 
  • C van
  • HG composite brake

Attached is a screen shot of the D shale/wood chip

Marc

NSWGR D Shale - Copy.jpg

• 3 months later...

I thought I would update everyone on progress.

The 3D printer is here and it have been tested. The results make some of the "Commercial" 3D printers look like they are lowering their quality to maximise their profits. But I will not say anything more on that.

So, with this in mind, I have changed how I'm going to do the kits. As you all know I was going to print the bodies and have the strapping as a separate etch as I have done with most of our other 7mm kit. Now they are all going to be printed as complete blocks buffer guides, and strapping included. The plan to etch the axle guards and brakes stays the same. This means that I will not need to have extra tooling for other NSWGR wagons going forward. And this also gives an option to scale up (G1 1/32) or down (HO) the wagon bodies with little effort if their is a demand.

So to start with these will be the kits.
Kit 1 2 plank (D) drop side 8ft6 Wheel base (fitted or unfitted)
Kit2 2 plank (D) centre door 8ft6 Wheel base (fitted or unfitted)
Kit3 3 plank (D) drop side 8ft6 Wheel base (fitted or unfitted)
Kit4 3 plank (D) centre door 8ft6 Wheel base (fitted or unfitted)
Kit5 3 plank (D) centre door with extended raves for coke/shale/chip wood 8ft6 Wheel base (fitted or unfitted)
Kit6 3 plank (D) drop side 9ft Wheel base(fitted or unfitted)
Kit7 3 plank (D) centre door 9ft Wheel base(fitted or unfitted)
Kit8 3 plank (D) centre door with extended raves for coke/shale/chip wood 9ft Wheel base(fitted or unfitted)
Kit9 1 plank (A) fixed side 8ft6 Wheel base (unfitted)

I'm hoping to have the first ones ready for shipping at the start of December so they can be with people by Christmas. I you do want any of the above for Christmas The last day for ordering will be Oct 31st as I need of order etches.

Marc

• 2 years later...

A bit of progress with this after a few years off. 3 prototypes built.

IMG_20230625_204423.jpg.caa1f974c099267a3d2378dc04716b76.jpg

Class D 2 plank open built circ 1870 painted as 1900 piped only.

IMG_20230625_201611.jpg.de7adbcb34d8ddce568cb47787d4baa2.jpg

Class D 3 plank drop-side built circ 1890 painted 1900 piped only (8ft6 WB)

IMG_20230625_201538.jpg.0e6451008c0d1e545db0b25892ac0bb0.jpg

Class D 3 plank centre door (9ft WB) built circ 1895 fully fitted with round hand wheel.

The 3 planks are available in 8ft6 and 9ft WB with a range of brakes and buffers.

Also should have a shale wagon and a 2 plank ballast wagon on the stand at GuildEx in September. 

The bodies can be produced in HO, 4mm S and G1 if anyone wants them in these scales.

Marc

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

Good news the etchers have found the artwork and have just sent me 18 wagons worth of parts. Most of these are already spoken for but I have enough parts for 5 wagons. If anyone wants them. The prototypes will be on show at the Guildford o gauge show on Saturday I will have 5 random wagons from the range available on the day unless someone wants a specific wagon.

Currently available

D 2 plank centre door (8ft6 WB)

D 3 plank centre door (8ft6 WB)

D 3 plank Centre door (9ft WB)

D 3 plank drop side (8ft6 WB)

D 3 plank drop side (9ft WB)

D Shale/wood chip (8ft6 WB)

D Shale/wood chip (9ft WB)

2 plank ballast (8ft6 WB)

Full kits in 7mm but available as bodies in HO, 4mm, S(1:64) , G1 (1:32), G2 and G3

Marc

Edited by MarcD
  • Like 1