Bachmann warship class 43 roof fittings

ikcdab

• RMweb Gold

Has anyone fitted those tiny eyebolts to the roof of the latest class 43 that come in the detail pack? They are minute and several of mine have pinged off into eternity. I found some, but despite Bachmann providing spares, I am still 1 short. Requires the patience of a saint to cut these from the sprue and to fit them. Now to try and find my lost one. So tiny!!!

Yes I have fitted them. If you need to pick them up off the floor or elsewhere a bit of Tamiya type masking type helps, they'll stick to it and not fall off to be lost again.

Advice on here lead me to use the technique of threading them onto a thin wire prior to attachment. You then set them in place and remove the wire after the glue you've used is set. I used tiny amounts of superglue in the hole on the roof applied with a pin tip then straight in with the eyebolt. If you wait too long the glue dries in the hole and you have to ream or drill it out. All sounds a bit tricky but once you get going it falls into place.

John.

• Informative/Useful 2

• 3 weeks later...

I found that taking each eyebolt on the sprue and impaling it on a pair of fine pointed tweezers and then cutting slowly from the sprue; sometimes the bolt comes away without any cutting. Then opening the hole for the bolt in the locos roof ever so slightly ; insert impaled eyebolt into hole still holding the tweezers and then quicly drop a tiny amount of mek liquid adhesive on it when it is in position. Slowly remove tweezers. Repeat about 20 times. I have done this on two class 43's now. Very character building...

• RMweb Premium
On 21/02/2020 at 13:55, AY Mod said:

They're a doddle compared to the Dapol Western. Stick a fine needle through the eye before cutting and use it to place them.

Agreed on both points.  And add your adhesive to the parts, not the roof, to minimise the risk of overdoing it and leaving residual glue visible. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Have done 660 of the little blighters! 

Work on a tray with a lip to avoid losses....tried the thread on to wire method but found very fine point forceps better. Found the best tactic was to get them in place and then apply a tiny drop of superglue from the inside.

And as Andy Y says much easier than the Dapol ones....

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1