Locomotives of the Howden and Derwent Reservoir contract (1901-1914) and Ladybower Reservoir contract (1935-1946)

Hando

From a little browsing I've discovered the locos that were used on the Howden and Derwent Reservoir Contracts (1901-1914):

Peckett 0-4-0ST Buller 901/1901 this later worked at Stockton-on-Tees Gasworks.

DERWENT VALLEY RESERVOIR - An 0-4-0ST stands at Birchinlee Station with a passenger train. Known as 'Tin Town', Birchinlee was a temporary village built to house the construction workers.  Between 1901 and 1903 a standard gauge railway of over 7 miles was built from the Midland Railway Hope Valley Line through the village of Bamford to the south of the reservoir to Howden to carry the thousands of tons of stone required for the construction of the two dams. After supplying well over a million tons of stone the Bole Hill quarry at Grindleford was closed in September 1914, with the end of the railway following soon after. The section between the mainline railway at Hope and Yorkshire Bridge was relaid in 1935 to aid the construction of the Ladybower dam, but closed again in 1946.

Manning Wardle (?) 0-6-0ST Toco

DERWENT VALLEY RESERVOIR - TOCO - 0-6-0ST - seen here on a train of stone blocks. Between 1901 and 1903 a standard gauge railway of over 7 miles was built from the Midland Railway Hope Valley Line through the village of Bamford to the south of the reservoir to Howden to carry the thousands of tons of stone required for the construction of the two dams. After supplying well over a million tons of stone the Bole Hill quarry at Grindleford was closed in September 1914, with the end of the railway following soon after. The section between the mainline railway at Hope and Yorkshire Bridge was relaid in 1935 to aid the construction of the Ladybower dam, but closed again in 1946.

Peckett 0-6-0ST King

DERWENT VALLEY RESERVOIR - KING - 0-6-0ST - seen here at Derwent Signalbox. Between 1901 and 1903 a standard gauge railway of over 7 miles was built from the Midland Railway Hope Valley Line through the village of Bamford to the south of the reservoir to Howden to carry the thousands of tons of stone required for the construction of the two dams. After supplying well over a million tons of stone the Bole Hill quarry at Grindleford was closed in September 1914, with the end of the railway following soon after. The section between the mainline railway at Hope and Yorkshire Bridge was relaid in 1935 to aid the construction of the Ladybower dam, but closed again in 1946.

Here are my queries:

1) Were there other locos on the Howden/Derwent Res. Contracts? (excluding the narrow gauge locos used to construct the Derwent aqueduct)

2) What were the locos used on the later Ladybower Res. Contract (1935-1946)?

Any information would be happily received.

Thanks,

Alex

• RMweb Premium

You said you were only interested in the locomotives but:

I am fairly confident that the first carriage in the photo of Buller is a Midland 26 ft 4-wheel third brake, one of 25 built as Lot 10 at the newly-opened Litchurch Lane carriage & wagon works, in 1878. These were replaced arounf 1898-1902, though at least one remained in service as duplicate stock altered as a motor trailer for the Hemel Hempstead branch. It's not at all unsurprising to find this example sold to a contractor - there seems to have been quite a second-hand trade in surplus Midland stock in the early 20th century. The second carriage has two rows of lamps and round-headed doors - I wonder if its a Metropolitan or Metropolitan District carriage sold out of service on the abolition of underground steam?

Toco appears to be hauling a train of stone wagons, either one or two-plank, probably PO wagons belonging the quarry or the contractor - the Midland had no wagons of this type. I read that the stone came from a quarry at Bole Hill near Grindleford - studying the remains visible on the OS 25" maps re-surveyed c. 1919, it's clear that the stone trains must have worked over the main line from Grindleford to the exchange sidings just west of Bamford - I would doubt that the contractors locomotives were used over this stretch. Bole Hill seems to have been reached via an incline; nevertheless the National Trust website has a composite photo showing a couple of rather Peckett-ish looking 0-4-0STs. 

I don't think the brake van is Midland - it doesn't appear to have a continuous lower footboard.

King is attached to a standard Midland 3-plank dropside wagon to diagram D305, of the type built to Drg. 1143 from 1897 onwards.

Refs:

R.E. Lacy & G. Dow, Midland Railway Carriages Vol. 1 (Wild Swan, 1986) pp. 63-64.

R.J. Eassery, Midland Wagons Vol. 1 (OPC, 1980).

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

it's clear that the stone trains must have worked over the main line from Grindleford to the exchange sidings just west of Bamford - I would doubt that the contractors locomotives were used over this stretch.

Indeed, I've just found this photo of a stone train headed by a Johnson standard 0-6-0 setting back into the Bamford exchange sidings:

DERWENT VALLEY RESERVOIR - A Midland Railway 0-6-0, possibly No.2560, backs into the specially built yard at Bamford Station with a stone train from Grindleford. Between 1901 and 1903 a standard gauge railway of over 7 miles was built from the Midland Railway Hope Valley Line through the village of Bamford to the south of the reservoir to Howden to carry the thousands of tons of stone required for the construction of the two dams. After supplying well over a million tons of stone the Bole Hill quarry at Grindleford was closed in September 1914, with the end of the railway following soon after. The section between the mainline railway at Hope and Yorkshire Bridge was relaid in 1935 to aid the construction of the Ladybower dam, but closed again in 1946.

Note the Midland covered goods wagons and another D305 in the sidings, along with some PO coal wagons.

• Like 3

For those interested in a more 'in depth' study of the dams, a book called "Walls across the valley, the building of the Howden and Derwent Dams" by Brian Robinson was published by Scarthin Books of Cromford in 1993. ISBN 0-907758-57-6.

I also have a hand-written list of Derwent Valley Water Board locos which I compiled from goodness knows where or when:

KITCHENER   Manning Wardle 1574/02

FRENCH         Manning Wardle

NOGI              Manning Wardle 1643/05

TOGO             Manning Wardle 1644/05

BULLER                  Peckett

DREADNOUGHT   Peckett

MACDONALD        Peckett W4 956/03 to Hathersage

KING                       Peckett X 957/03 to Bamford

QUEEN                   Peckett X 958/03 to Bamford

BOBS                      Peckett

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 4

• 1 year later...

After a long time of looking, I've finally found photos of the illusive Manning Wardles FRENCH (1582) and KITCHENER (1574)

KITCHENER:

https://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s15035&pos=8&action=zoom&id=17827

FRENCH:

https://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s15034&pos=1&action=zoom&id=17826

Both locos have very small boilers compared to E or F class engines, by the looks of things, so I assume that they are D classes?.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Hando said:

After a long time of looking, I've finally found photos of the illusive Manning Wardles FRENCH (1582) and KITCHENER (1574)

KITCHENER:

https://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s15035&pos=8&action=zoom&id=17827

FRENCH:

https://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s15034&pos=1&action=zoom&id=17826

Both locos have very small boilers compared to E or F class engines, by the looks of things, so I assume that they are D classes?.

FW Mabbott's book has them both as E types.

• Thanks 1