Where has everyone gone?

Allegheny1600

• RMweb Gold
39 minutes ago, SonOfMike said:

although I have far more patience than I did when I was 16, my eyes and fingers just don;t work like they used to :(

J_n.jpg

They appear to be working ok from here ;) Well worth starting a thread with those :) 

• Agree 5

I'm still here, but I tend to have bouts of time where I disappear off of the forums, either because I'm working on other hobbies, or that I'm purposefully avoiding the forums and facebook so that I can spend my hobby time on productive things like... actual modelling! :D

Usuallly when I've got a show coming up I disappear for ages, then come back with a lot of progress photos on whatever project I've been working on. :D

Case in point...

IMG_20200227_080749.jpg

Edited by DanielB
  • Like 4

On 24/02/2020 at 11:12, woodenhead said:

Kadee disciples are not usually found in the church of P4.

Further to the above,

box-car-ends-1.jpg.25cf96c6ee9edf0d62ea52f0c3257481.jpg

A few (unfinished) 36 ft box cars supposedly parked in a yard near LA, circa 1928.  No extra detailing or painting done, Just scale wheels and couplers on track of the time. I have been rather busy on other mechanism related other things since this shot of several years back. And the test layout shown is now being reconstructed at a new location.

Even so, this seems to me to create an impression of a some what large scale.  Ymmv of course.

Andy

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium
On ‎26‎/‎02‎/‎2020 at 14:08, mdvle said:

Part of that is ignorance of the possibilities that older passenger operations can offer for switching (if the layout is designed properly), partly it is the length of passenger cars (85'), partly a reflection is is often difficult to get accurate passenger models.  Of course modern Amtrak/VIA/commuter railroads have the same issues as modern European passenger operations - no switching so it is simply running back and forth.

Good point - I always thought that American passenger operations were far more interesting.  In Al Kalmbach's own book "How to Run a Model Railroad" - written as "Boomer Pete" and published more than once I think (from memory, I have a 1944 edition) - he suggests a new model railroad could aspire to have the following:

4 Engines (2 passenger, 2 freight - one doubling as a switcher)

50 Freight cars (including just one caboose)

and

15 Passenger Train Cars: 1 Gas-electric, 1 Diner, 1 Combine, 1 Express Reefer, 2 Pullman (sleepers), 3 head-end baggage cars and 6 coaches.

Model a Division Point and the possibilities for switching passenger train consists (plus changing engines) become endless, an idea further developed in John Armstrong's Kalmbach Book on Operations for model railroads, in a section later re-printed in Andy Sperandeo's Guide to Passenger Operations.  There, Armstrong outlines a day's operations at a busy passenger station with both freight and locomotive facilities 'off-stage.'

Of course, Kalmbach's original calculations pre-dated the ready availability of quality locomotives: it wouldn't surprise me if many more modern layouts have 15 engines for every 4 passenger train cars.  But with the changes we're now seeing, perhaps there may be a return to that kind of thinking?

Sperandeo's volume also included a plan for a major Union stub-end terminal in less than 100 sq. ft.  Based on his own spotting days growing up, he takes full advantage of the practice of reversing trains into stations (with an 'off-stage' wye junction) to make realistic operation of a staging - station layout quite straightforward.

On a separate note, there are two other immediate attractions to US modelling v UK modelling in the dominant HO/OO sphere: track is the right gauge to start with, and there are no tension lock couplings to deal with (the traditional Hornby-style wide ones may look massive, but I think they were designed to prevent buffer locking on tight curves - model a prototype without all the buffers, and the problem goes).

Edited by Keith Addenbrooke
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I've just paused my US H0 modeling for a bit (while I get the more urgent need to model other countries/scales/prototypes out of my system), plus the Maidenhead club's US H0 project is also paused due to space constraints while other layouts take priority.

But at some point in the not-too-distant future I will dust off the crates of resin 1950's freight car kits and builds, the assorted switchers, structure kits and detailing bits and crack on with making myself a micro to at least run some of it at home until other club projects are out of the way and the H0 can progress to an exhibitable state.

Edited by CloggyDog
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium
On 27/02/2020 at 14:16, Regularity said:

You start it where you want to start it, depending on your viewpoint?

Is it an American outline micro-layout (emphasis on the micro and not the American), or a micro American outline layout (size is a product of the constraints you are working under, but primarily you are interested in US outline modelling)?

I would suggest that the noun, and not the adjective, determines where you put it.

Well explained.

I have begun a simple US-outline diorama, which seems to have it's natural home in the Micro-Layout section of RMWeb (I did cross reference it to the US Track Plans thread over here, just in case, but being based on a Walthers' station kit, it isn't trying to be groundbreaking). 

As for a proper US layout, I was immediately taken with John Pryke's Urban modelling book when I came across it in 2018, and started seeing what it might look like using some Settrack pieces I had - it hardly qualified for a build thread though.

A house move later that year, saw a second attempt at getting started in Jan 2019, but again, this wouldn't set the pulses racing (it only got as far as masking tape laid out on the floor!).

Eventually, I was advised to take up the masking tape, as it was starting to mark the varnished floor, even under a rug.

So, as well as progressing my Diorama (and a UK micro-layout also on that Forum), I think I have two particular challenges to overcome: inertia (a kind way of putting my lack of progress), and nostalgia (lamenting the decline in more easily affordable, easy to source models, or the glory days of Model Railroader magazine etc, won't get me very far now).

Time to do some research, and some real modelling...

Edited by Keith Addenbrooke
Photos no longer exist.
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

John and all,

more often, at least in my case, spare time can be used for working on the layout, or writing about working on the layout. When that available pool of free time shrinks, well, I’d rather selfishly get my enjoyment doing the work than being on line.

it doesn’t help that most of the OTHER time is spent in a futile feeling search for new employment; to say I’d rather walk away from the screen and keyboard is the understatement of the century.

i am trying to balance it all, so with luck it is a temporary thing. I am also just relatively new ‘round these parts, so have not yet made my mark. Give the boy time! There has to be some benefit of being a real honest to good American in a group of American (using the term as it may be) enthusiasts! So, as we say, until then...

Dennis

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Still researching (and collecting!).

Although I can foresee a thinning out of the stock as I *try* and focus on what I want to do.

Hopefully, some progress will be made on the shortline after Ally Pally is out of the way - my next UK 00 commitment is the NEC in November.

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 1

On ‎22‎/‎02‎/‎2020 at 16:58, Dr Gerbil-Fritters said:

The new Scaletrains SD40T-2 gave me a wobble though... until I realised I still don't have the room for a decent SP layout that would need tunnel motors...

I'm going to take that challenge sooner or later, I found some plans I drew up for a compact N scale layout which should translate well into H0 for around 30 car trains.

For the best part of 6 years I used to import from the US, that exchange rate of $1.90-2.10 per £ was literally too good to be true. The postal rate change did dent my importing a little, but what really did for it as far as I was concerned was when the likes of Exactrail went to direct sale. From that point it became hard to justify a couple of cars here and there for more than $20 shipping a time. I had a huge garden layout which I could happily run legitimate helper service on 60-70 car trains...boy do I miss that! Family breakdowns and house moves led to most of my US outline being sold and I concentrated on the clubs N gauge layout.

However...I have recently rediscovered a foursome of Athearn tunnel motors which escaped the cull, 20 TOFCs and a full D&RGW compliment for the Cali Zephyr. I might not be in a position to build as extensive a garden system as I once had though; I have Malamutes now, and they'd dig the thing out faster than I could build it! A big boon for me though is that the club has an embryonic US layout, and I did recently slip horribly into the Loksound V5...sounds awesome in a SD45t-2 by the way! So I might just be re-dipping my toe, complete with a Scaletrains pre-order or two...

• Like 2

I started modelling the American scene some thirty odd years ago mainly because at that time American locos were cheaper to buy and ran so much better than British outline models did. I also liked the idea of a short line and the operating possibilities it offered. In those far off pre computer days research was much more difficult in this country getting access to books and magazines for inspiration and information. That said I must admit I found it much more fun and rewarding than looking for information on a PC.

I built with my brother in law a small switching layout called Colonel's Crossing and exhibited over a period of five or six years. I moved house and built another small switching layout called Benson using the locos and stock I had accumulated over the years. Five years later and another house move meant I was able to combine most of Colonel's Crossing with Benson to give a bigger U shaped switching layout.

As I got older bending under the layout to access the operating area became more difficult and fed up with banging my head on the joining section decided to scrap Colonel's Crossing and extend Benson.

I happily operated and photographed this layout for many years (see Benson Arkansas) until about a year ago when my interest began to wane. Then after a great deal of thought I decided to sell all my American stuff and buy British outline models. Which I am pleased to say run superbly and look good to my old eyes at any rate. I model the transition period because I can remember this as a young man just starting work.

I have no regrets that I modelled the American scene I enjoyed it for many years, although it horrified my late father at the time. I also have no regrets about starting something new so late in life now.

I still look in from time to time and will continue to do so.

Kind regards Peter M

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 6

Hi Peter,

Many thanks for your update, above. I knew that you had difficulties with internet access which I believe was why we didn't see too much of you or Benson but it's completely understandable.

May I offer thanks for all the times you've entertained us with pics etc of your 'American modelling career' and may I also offer you my/our very best wishes in your future endeavours? 

Also, whatever the subject, it's good that you are keeping modelling!

Cheers,

John.

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, Broadoak said:

Many thanks John for your good wishes, I have enjoyed sharing Benson with you all over the years.

Kind regards Peter M

And we've enjoyed viewing it, Peter. Especially with the 'back story' that accompanied almost every photo. :yes: :good:

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

I model US trains from the 90's. I model narrow gauge trains and french trains too. From time to time I change from a theme to another one. That's the reason I disappear from here from time to time. And later I come back...

My younger son (14 years old) is a great enthusiast with HO mid 80's US trains. He gives me a lot of motivation to model with him.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

I went to the shed for the first time in 3 months yesterday.  I was mulling a 1980s SP branch, as my MP15ACs and some rolling stock survived the cull of US stock...

I am enjoying the Irish stuff, but I am finding myself hankering after authentic looking couplers and reliable operation.  I miss body mounted KDs more than I thought.

So I may be back...

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 3

1 hour ago, Dr Gerbil-Fritters said:

I went to the shed for the first time in 3 months yesterday.  I was mulling a 1980s SP branch, as my MP15ACs and some rolling stock survived the cull of US stock...

Finding models that survived a cull is dangerous if you're wavering! I know all to well...

Do I really regret ordering a Scaletrains SD40T-2? Yes and no, but only for the handprint I got across the back of the noggin when the missus saw the postal charge when it arrived on Friday...Lord knows what she'll say or do when the IM ACF centreflows arrive. I might need a shed to hide in!

• Friendly/supportive 3

53 minutes ago, Zunnan said:

Finding models that survived a cull is dangerous if you're wavering! I know all to well...

Do I really regret ordering a Scaletrains SD40T-2? Yes and no, but only for the handprint I got across the back of the noggin when the missus saw the postal charge when it arrived on Friday...Lord knows what she'll say or do when the IM ACF centreflows arrive. I might need a shed to hide in!

You only ordered one?  Everyone knows tunnel motors come in multiples of 2!

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Dr Gerbil-Fritters said:

You only ordered one?  Everyone knows tunnel motors come in multiples of 2!

That they do, several times over! Sadly the Kodachrome isn't available yet as I do like a splash of colour to go with my rusted and burned dynamic blisters and otherwise soot stained crud livery that is the joy of the old espee. But rest assured I was responsible and have it on pre-order...along with the forthcoming SD45, even though the 45 is a bit early in its config for a late 80's/early '90s lashup. Less so responsible in pre-ordering that one methinks. Its a slippery slope the first time round, slipping back into it the second time around is just plain dangerous!

1027191124a.jpg.b9589a5c54ac9cd3bace5769f5840953.jpg

I'm not that diesel knowledgeable, but I think this is only half the UP prototype configuration.

Requires a "Two Sheds" Jackson to run it tho' ;)

OTOH, It does make a rather interesting Proto:87 working suspension challenge . .

Andy

Andy

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Andy Reichert said:

1027191124a.jpg.b9589a5c54ac9cd3bace5769f5840953.jpg

I'm not that diesel knowledgeable, but I think this is only half the UP prototype configuration.

That’s a DD35A & B, I’ve not seen a picture of a set of 4 of those but they were originally supplied as two of the cabless B units between a pair of GP35 Bo Bo’s. 
There were only 14 A’s with cabs and 30 B’s so DoDo 4 sets are possible but certainly not normal. I’ve only ever seen them alone as part of a multiple lash up or as pairs and can only remember one pic of an A & B. 

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 1