Where has everyone gone?

Allegheny1600

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Zomboid said:

I've managed one day trip to Bearwood and yesterday at Epsom since she was born...

Here’s a meet from the groups started on Rmweb with quite a few members from here there, 7 I think including Mr Z ;) 

2CFE741B-1468-4F33-86E8-4973100B7E9C.jpeg.2bc23f73830652a323317c0b8d8a502b.jpeg

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, PaulRhB said:

That’s a DD35A & B, I’ve not seen a picture of a set of 4 of those but they were originally supplied as two of the cabless B units between a pair of GP35 Bo Bo’s. 
There were only 14 A’s with cabs and 30 B’s so DoDo 4 sets are possible but certainly not normal. I’ve only ever seen them alone as part of a multiple lash up or as pairs and can only remember one pic of an A & B. 

I know of at least one photo online of an A+B+A all DD35 lashup, but they certainly are uncommon!

Iron Mountain Ore Train

copyright where credited.

There are more likely than not other photos floating around on railpictures.net too, but there are a lot to sift through. I must admit though, a DD35 A+B+A set has a bit more impact than the more usual DD40+fast fourty+DD40 combo.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Andy Reichert said:

1027191124a.jpg.b9589a5c54ac9cd3bace5769f5840953.jpg

I'm not that diesel knowledgeable, but I think this is only half the UP prototype configuration.

3 hours ago, PaulRhB said:

That’s a DD35A & B, I’ve not seen a picture of a set of 4 of those but they were originally supplied as two of the cabless B units between a pair of GP35 Bo Bo’s. 
There were only 14 A’s with cabs and 30 B’s so DoDo 4 sets are possible but certainly not normal. I’ve only ever seen them alone as part of a multiple lash up or as pairs and can only remember one pic of an A & B. 

1 hour ago, Zunnan said:

I know of at least one photo online of an A+B+A all DD35 lashup, but they certainly are uncommon!

Iron Mountain Ore Train

copyright where credited.

How about this for size?

https://www.american-rails.com/images/55390406883929687859306987.jpg

Alco Century C855s. Only these 3 ever built, 2 A units and a single B unit, for Union Pacific. That is one of the very few pictures of all 3 coupled together. 

They ran together on their first duty out of Omaha, having arrived there dead in train from the builders. On their first transition to weak field, all the electrical cabinets caught fire and blew the hood doors open. They had been wired wrongly, but there had been such pressure to get them into service that the builders hadn't had time to run full road tests. There are a couple of photos taken of their departure from Omaha - taken by an EMD rep who was there maintaining DD35s. He believes these are the only photos taken of all three C855s together, under power, pulling a train. Once they were repaired, they apparently were used in consists with other types.

• Like 3

I think I can trump that for size, though not historical significance. How does a DD35 A+B+B+B+B+B+B lashup, albeit most likely a power move, sound? Given the date, it was likely the last trip for the 6 (or more) DD35s in view being sent to storage or scrap.

https://www.railpictures.net/photo/484249/

I bet that was a sight to behold!

Edited by Zunnan
  • Like 1

Where's everyone gone?  Well, short answer is Westbury.  Longer answer is house-move over, garage needs 'converting', garden needs O-scale railroad, projects need finishing (oh ... some need starting), O-scale web stuff needs revitalising (Fb:American O-scale in the UK or  just email stuff to  ukoscale@groups.io

Kitchen and bathroom can wait.

Today is a great start: Wickes confirmed bringing garage stuff tomorrow, had to take the car to walking-distance-Lidl for massive kick-off  food shop, discovered Davies in Westbury, the sort of DIY shop of old that sells ... er, everything and had a call yesterday from another seasoned O-scaler ... "Jason I 'd like to try a bit of downsizing...."  

Damn, forgot to get a couple of boxes of men's tissues for when I start opening my old projects packing boxes.

Jason

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

While I've been wallowing in self pity at the realisation that I wish I held on to everything I once had, I managed to infiltrate Photobucket and found a few happy reminders...oddly nothing Espee, considering more than half the garden fleet was bloody nose liveried!

936322316_ATSFFP45inthegarden.jpg.0e61062bd54737d8c4a7493ca43d4ac9.jpg

1928672510_ATSFstacksinthegarden.jpg.a32b457d64397121d083b77a94b3d62d.jpg

630067726_DRGWZephyrinthegarden.jpg.34e242baeee51eb82fa9a5f103c7d219.jpg

Happily I did keep that Rio Grande A+B+B+A set! Now I just have to figure how to build what is potentially a very complex yet compact layout in order to run them anywhere other than at Bournville club...

Where has everyone gone? Seems some are tentatively being tempted back to the dark side!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

An interesting statistic..I was recently at the Missenden Railway Modellers Weekend - in the Weathering course tutored by Mick Bonwick 3 out of 9 of us  had North American HO projects on the go...here are some of mine..

MSP1010898.JPG

MSP1010875.JPG

MSP1010881.JPG

MSP1010903.JPG

MSP1010884.JPG

MSP1010876.JPG

MSP1010861.JPG

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 8

On 12/03/2020 at 16:06, Max Legroom said:

.... I'm missing my shortline fix! I've been distracted by the West Highland in the 1970s! 

I suppose if you are going to be distracted, then at least the West Highland in the 1970s (& '80s* ) is something well worth being distracted by. :yes: 

* Large-logo Class 37 for me, please!! ;)

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

On 08/03/2020 at 22:01, Zunnan said:

I think I can trump that for size, though not historical significance. How does a DD35 A+B+B+B+B+B+B lashup, albeit most likely a power move, sound? Given the date, it was likely the last trip for the 6 (or more) DD35s in view being sent to storage or scrap.

https://www.railpictures.net/photo/484249/

I bet that was a sight to behold!

I was trying to work out how long that would be and was surprised to find that the locos are only slightly longer than IEP coaches.

I have to admit I'm currently distracted by working suspension and auto couplings on a bunch of BR EMU's and  high inertia 16 ton Mineral wagons.  I can make the latter weigh about 8 oz each. Makes shunting far more realistic (and careful) . :)

Andy

• Like 3

Indeed!

It's very heartening to learn that most of us are actually still knocking around if not actively modelling NA outline, sounds like there are some projects on the back burner.

I cannot start anything myself btw as I'm presently due a house move to Greece - where they still run big Alcos, well,  big MLWs actually so if that doesn't give me inspiration, nothing will!

Cheers,

John

• Like 3

22 hours ago, F-UnitMad said:

I suppose if you are going to be distracted, then at least the West Highland in the 1970s (& '80s* ) is something well worth being distracted by. :yes: 

* Large-logo Class 37 for me, please!! ;)

Large logo is OK but I draw the line at those funny orange cantrail stripes! 

• Agree 2

21 hours ago, Dr Gerbil-Fritters said:

... but 800 times more interesting

To each his own. ;)

I'm (personally) not sure what is attractive about US diesels, prototype or model. The only operating moving parts to look at are below the footplate. And there aren't many of those, unless the axle boxes go up and down over the bumps. My excuse for the earlier pictures is that the few oddballs I have were mainly accidental acquisitions. 

Passenger cars however have interiors, lights and sometimes even doors, don't need any tinny sound decoders and joy of joys, plus they optionally stop at stations so visitors can actually look at them and go "Ahhhh".  And in rapid transit and commuter mode, come in lots of nicely arranged matching copies, can run past each other on double track without being diverted into passing sidings, and pretty much obviate all those boring realistic periods when nothing moves on the layout.

Gosh, that feels better :jester:

Andy

• Agree 2
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I went to Canada!  

22 years ago mind you.   It is a truth universally acknowledged, that an Englishman in possession of a growing O scale roster, must be in want of a basement.

Pete

Edited by GP9u
  • Like 3
  • Funny 4

On 15/03/2020 at 10:27, GP9u said:

I went to Canada!  

22 years ago mind you.   It is a truth universally acknowledged, that an Englishman in possession of a growing O scale roster, must be in want of a basement.

Pete

The typical California Basement has to share space with a couple of cars. :( And the contents get shaken up every few years. 

I have contemplated having the World's only outdoor Proto:87 layout, but Gophers and Termites are an issue that I don't have a practical and inexpensive solutions for.

372576905_gophermounds2.jpg.ed2a6b816bbae1fa6984bf0d28519ebd.jpg

This is one way to overcome those, but it requires a lot more oiling than I like.

1082638621_NGlocostill.jpg.31478aea4964da75b377bb45bb63e389.jpg

Andy :)

• Like 1

But Andy, steel posts to raise the track for the gophers to go under and deter the termites.  Or old British warship cannons from your local antique center. Or smear the steel with Marmite. Only Brits lick that.  Anyway, house move over, garage floor covered with T&G 3/4" flooring, most pictures up on the walls, excellent curry house, kebab house, homely Crown Inn ... Marstons 6X.  Well that was last weekend when my first visitors tried the new place out, since then the govt has said I have to stay indoors - that's why I'm waffling on.  Lidl had Corona beer on special for some reason, so I got a box, just need to remember to drink a bottle daily with evening meal apparently.  No, the garage is not adequately insulated, the stuff's arriving tomorrow/Sat (damn so is the tele!).  When that's done, the removal men can bring the important stuff and ... and ... you've guessed...!  Pete, I'm too old to emigrate, but which Meet are you maybe thinking of going to next year?

Jason

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

I can't promise how far I'll get, but I've mail ordered a US building kit I've long fancied to get started on.

There won't be a build thread, but I wanted to acknowledge this thread for the inspiration: thank you.

Ensured I sought out the kit I actually wanted, not an easier to get UK one.

(My "bigger" long-term micro layout projects - US and UK - will have to remain on hold while everyone is at home).

• Like 3