Where has everyone gone?

Allegheny1600

Yeah, this thread has definitely gotten my creative juices flowing again. With the HO layout now finished, I was intending to get started with gusto on my British micro, but this thread has caused my attention to be drawn back toward O scale.

So I've been working on a load of little tasks for my exhibition layout - on the assumption that this Coronavirus malarky will be over in time for Warley (and possibly Wakefield if they find a new venue after the recent arson attack :().

One of which has been sprucing up this weaver NYC boxcar.

IMG_20200317_175936.jpg

• Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hopefully this'll raise a smile.

As some will know, I've got two layouts in my train room: the American one, at about 4 foot off the ground, and the British one, close to eye-level. Inevitably, if I do any work on the British one, the debris tends to end up on the American one, despite my best efforts with newspapers, plastic tubs etc. It's a constant problem and one of the downsides to having a double-decked layout arrangement.

About a year ago I clouted the chimney off a small hut in the goods yard on the British layout. I was convinced I'd heard it ping onto the floor, but a search revealed nothing. I then thought it might have fallen into a Tesco's bag full of paints and assorted art materials, so that was carefully tipped out and gone through. Still no chimney! Another few thorough searches later and I came to the conclusion that the chimney had gone through a wormhole into another dimension and I'd have no choice but to make another.

Then, prompted by this thread, I was doing some general tidying-up and remedial work on the American layout when I decided to move my ABBA set of FT units, which had been parked on the same siding for ages. Guess what! There was the chimney, cheekily hidden behind the FT units! It had been there all along, the little swine!

• Like 4
  • Funny 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

9 hours ago, AndrewC said:

Fell down a rabbit hole on one of my Facebook groups. Found this gem. 

Great find - thanks for posting!

I found the sequencing rather hard to follow in places, but the content is tremendous. Especially liked the beginning of Part 2, from Field up through the Spiral Tunnels to the Continental Divide. And a great mix of cab units - FP7s and 9s, an FPA2 and even a C-Liner on the mainline.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, PaulRhB said:

There that’s them ruined ;) 

C82EFB46-73BD-4EF0-9062-12F8930E4127.jpeg.a18125e5da7dfddaa37cf5043775f8ea.jpeg

F52FA48C-E990-447F-AC30-41F65304F4E6.jpeg.95fbd5489d28735066735af6259e2e15.jpeg

DE7211F1-C7BF-48D8-9B34-A94F51999042.jpeg.55c2e5ed055edfcae23f7405e6dcee47.jpeg

I'll ask the dumb question, as a) I don't recognise the couplers and b) judging the size relative to Tamiya paint jars, are these 1:29 scale, USA Trains, Aristocraft or suchlike?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, F-UnitMad said:

I'll ask the dumb question, as a) I don't recognise the couplers and b) judging the size relative to Tamiya paint jars, are these 1:29 scale, USA Trains, Aristocraft or suchlike?

Yes Aristocraft, the couplers will be going once I can get hold of the right kadees ;) 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
35 minutes ago, PaulRhB said:

Yes Aristocraft, the couplers will be going once I can get hold of the right kadees ;) 

I converted my large scale freight cars many years ago. I cant now remember where the Kadees came from in the UK but some may well have been from the place at Princes Risborough and also from here http://www.chalkgardenrail.co.uk/. Although I guess that you will probably already know these.

Just about to start lifting a section of the G gauge to extend the patio then relay it afterwards.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

They are few and far between these days in the uk, I got my last lot as a batch from the US as it works out ok if you order several pairs at once compared to uk prices. 
more 1/29th blabbering here ;)

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, pH said:

Great find - thanks for posting!

I found the sequencing rather hard to follow in places, but the content is tremendous. Especially liked the beginning of Part 2, from Field up through the Spiral Tunnels to the Continental Divide. And a great mix of cab units - FP7s and 9s, an FPA2 and even a C-Liner on the mainline.

From what I gather someone managed to digitise a bunch of footage and put it together as best as he could. Love the Dayliner heading from Calgary to Edmonton in one shot. I used to work in the building under construction at 17:50. 3rd floor from the top, second from right window to be exact. Back then the tower was still the "Husky Tower" and owned partly by Husky Oil & Marathon Real Estate. (CP) 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Whilst I appreciate this thread has gone quiet of late, I thought people might be interested to see a thread I have just started about my layout modelling Dale Junction on the Union Pacific's Transcontinental Route across Sherman Hill in the 1950s:

I hope it provides a bit of inspiration!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Like the helix I’m still pondering to have one or not but my space is limited to 12x12 room and helix would  take a lot of space, there was a good plan on here for staging using curved points so looking at that as I’d get a good 10 9ft long tracks on one wall.

On 23/02/2020 at 12:46, Alcanman said:

I noticed a downturn in postings, particularly those building small US layouts, a few years ago. I got a lot of inspiration from some of the small layout builders.

When I started posting back in 2011 (CSX Palmetto Spur) the response was great,  friendly and helpful. I subsequently built quite a few small US switching layouts but I seem to have run out of ideas. I'm stuck with a small space (9ft x 15ins) and I've simply have built enough inglenooks and timesavers.

The cost of Importing sound fitted locos from the US has become prohibitive so I won't be buying any more.

I've noticed a few people who used post on here are now using Facebook.

I may have to resort to a UK themed, small TMD layout for my next layout. Not very original! 

Well 4 months have elapsed and it's time to 'eat my words'.  I did build the UK TMD layout which helped keep me sane during lockdown.

Enjoyed the build but, sadly, confirmed the doubts I had about TMD layouts. It was boring to operate, not to mention the cacophony of sound.

It became clear in my mind that I had to return to US modelling and try to find some inspiration. Eventually, I found inspiration on YouTube, in John Farrington's  'RSSX Railserve' small switching layout. Yes, it's another variation of an 'inglenook' but sufficiently different to my previous efforts to create interest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqmcvFmdyW8&t=171s

Hopefully, I'll start building later in the year.

CSAO Industrial Spur 2020 v2.jpg

Edited by Alcanman
omission
  • Like 10

• RMweb Gold

My lockdown project has been to re-start an old layout project - or at least 3 boards I kept in store.....its a compromise and has its drawbacks but I decided to go forward with the layout pretty much as it was rather than go back and change things....

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

OK, so not a layout I’m building, but there’s been a big discussion in the Layout Planning Forum about the classic UK Small Urvab Terminus layout design, Minories.  I had a go at translating it into US outline practice to contribute to the discussion and was quite taken with the result.  I used #6 switches and Peco Code 83 Track.  The idea is to model a (southern) terminal where all trains back in from an off-stage Wye, so head end cars can always be switched.

B62A163B-13B7-4E98-95B8-1CF55C9BFF2E.jpeg.045a323fdf484bb0b30dbcdde8718698.jpeg

Track fits onto an 8’ x 1’ board, but I kept a second scenic 8’ x 1’ board for a Station and Commissary.  Track 1 is for intercontinental trains (shortened), with Track 2 for local / commuter lines.  The switching of head end cars adds more variety than in many comparable UK stations, added to which observation cars, diners and Pullmans can be switched in and out of trains.  
I’d suggest low platforms with canopies rather than a train shed, so the trains are more visible.

The main locomotive Servicing facility and coach sidings are ‘off-stage.’  Staging would probably be on a Traverser if this was built to fit into a UK room, or it could be a terminal added to a larger layout (where the Wye could be included).  I was quite taken with this.

Edited by Keith Addenbrooke
Reinstating pictures
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Keith Addenbrooke said:

OK, so not a layout I’m building, but there’s been a big discussion in the Layout Planning Forum about the classic UK Small Urvab Terminus layout design, Minories.

I have been for a while pondering a North American layout based on the idea of Minories.  I haven't done the calculations, but ideally allowing for 5 unit trains and thus (entirely unprototypically) running a CN/VIA Tempo, Amtrak Turboliner, CN/VIA Turbo in and out in addition to the more prototypical consists you suggest.

I had a go at translating it into US outline practice to contribute to the discussion and was quite taken with the result.  I used #6 switches and Peco Code 83 Track.  The idea is to model a (southern) terminal where all trains back in from an off-stage Wye, so head end cars can always be switched.

Yep, those all important head end cars would seem to add a lot more operational interest than a UK Minories, and thus an advantage to your idea.

0843DA50-19E7-402F-8402-6242B1E1F5F7.jpeg.4b3bb8892125382981d801db1fef0fc8.jpeg

Track fits onto an 8’ x 1’ board, but I kept a second scenic 8’ x 1’ board for a Station and Commissary.  

I would split it - give the front 3" to a commissary building, and devote the rear 9" to a street with industries along the backdrop - and a rail line in the street serving several of those industries.  The rear 9" could be slightly elevated  Thus gaining a combined passenger/freight layout so either 2 people can operate at the same time, or a lone operator has a choice of what to do in any given session.

Track 1 is for intercontinental trains (shortened), with Track 2 for local / commuter lines.  The switching of head end cars adds more variety than in many comparable UK stations, added to which observation cars, diners and Pullmans can be switched in and out of trains.  
I’d suggest low platforms with canopies rather than a train shed, so the trains are more visible.

I'd go for no canopies, but instead have the train shed "start" at about 6" to 9" from the left side - thus hiding the fact that this is really quite a short station.

• Like 1

I took a break from modelling for a few years due to 2 babies and a house  move, now in planning stages for my CSX BNSF HO spare room layout, as many on here have said (also having not seen a continental Modeller for a few years) I’m shocked how many of the retailers have closed down by looking at a recent CM , it seems most items are now sourced from over the pond, I do myself unless a second hand eBay item, tend to used the 4 same shops however I’ve got a US shipping address now for eBay.com domestic shipping only items and this helps, buying single items is really not an option, latest purchase is a couple of exact rail TrainLife exclusive box cars that I’m happy with. When I start on the boards I will start a blog and tempted to have a go at a YouTube channel as I don’t know of a U.K. based US outline YouTube diary see the odd Kathy Millat ones but that’s it, 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

When this thread started (before the lockdown) I was thinking that activity on RMWeb was a little bit down on previous years. That has changed as people have had more time, as has the level of physical modelling so it's obvious modern life gets in the way.

The days of paper magazines are numbered, I fear. Yesterday, Kalmbach announced they are ceasing production of Garden Railways magazine. Sad after all those years of some fantastic model railways in some amazing gardens.

The comments that MR is no longer what it used to be are valid, but I suspect that dwindling advertising revenues are to blame... Fewer advertiser's as shop close down, fewer big box manufacturers, fewer people actually buying print.

Online activity is surprisingly narrow minded. People assume that as you have the whole internet to look at, there will be more variety, but studies find the opposite; people can go to look at only what they specifically want to look at, and they don't get the exposure to the stuff alongside.

Being a bit more settled now, my slow attempts to get back into modelling in general are coming along but will never be worthy of exhibition. I do wonder if we have become too critical.

Please keep modelling and posting. I love seeing what talented people can achieve and post in a friendly forum.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• 3 weeks later...
On 23/02/2020 at 12:46, Alcanman said:

The cost of Importing sound fitted locos from the US has become prohibitive so I won't be buying any more.

Time to 'eat my words' again.  UPS just delivered this Atlas switcher this morning one week after ordering from Trainworld, Brooklyn NY. The cost wan'ts too expensive. With the dearth of US locos, particularly Atlas, available in the UK, this seems to be the way forward.

The loco will be a great fit for my forthcoming small switching layout which will feature a Norfolk Southern / Reading & Northern interchange track based in Eastern Pennsylvania.

R&N MP15dc #1540 001.JPG

Edited by Alcanman
  • Like 14

Sorry to be so boring, but how much did UPS charge, plus any other import costs ... VAT, etc. To save you embarrasment I looked up the price at Trainworld $190 less a cent. Great buy , nice loco, I always look forward to Atlas getting going better in O.

Jason