Where has everyone gone?

Allegheny1600

I'm still around, though the railroad bug hasn't bitten hard enough to get me doing much of anything, to be honest.

I did just yesterday finish a handful of cardboard boxes for my layout, with several score more in the pipeline.IMG_20201119_042924.jpg.5da6a26af13f4218e005426a56a07ad7.jpg

• Like 5

I'm still modelling away, not on here as much, just updates on latest projects, i too have moved over to FB, some really excellent modellers, (among the 8x4 brigade) some of the self layout  groups are really helpful.

I was a FB nayer, but have found it really good for research and ideas, you want to modeller a certain railroad, there'll be a FB group out there, with photos and info.

Anyways back to building my windows for my condos!!

Ray

• Like 3

3 hours ago, 298 said:

With 2020 being the year of the track/step/truck lights or whatever, I've been adding LEDs to my small roster of switchers. Not that I've had any extra time during lockdowns as apparently I'm a key worker, but such projects have a fantastic time to cost ratio if you need to keep occupied on limited funds. This SW1500 has a total of 15 LEDs, including illuminated MW stands and a lit display in the Motorola radio on top of the control stand (I wish I'd gone for a sixteenth behind the gauges on the smaller desk)...

Screenshot_20201119-030938.png.d7cde9fa708bb0b4c25cc9ac4b7d52bb.png

Screenshot_20201119-030759.png

00100lrPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20201023144205811_COVER.jpg

"Wow" concerning the light in the radio set!! But such endeavours are well worthwhile for a layout such as yours that depicts night time working. :good:

During 12 years of working night shifts, I got to appreciate just how many 'artificial' sources of light there are out there. A layout that just has some working streetlights and lit buildings does not convincingly represent a night time scene!! :rolleyes: :no:

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

13 hours ago, F-UnitMad said:

During 12 years of working night shifts, I got to appreciate just how many 'artificial' sources of light there are out there. A layout that just has some working streetlights and lit buildings does not convincingly represent a night time scene!! :rolleyes: :no:

Well, go on...  please tell us what we are missing so as to make night time more realistic.

1 hour ago, Western Star said:

Well, go on...  please tell us what we are missing so as to make night time more realistic.

Where to start?? 

Road vehicles have more than just head & tail lights; cars have rear number plate lights, and trucks have lots of marker lights. On city streets even smaller shops might have lit window displays even if they're closed; for modern times there are many "24/7" shops. 'Pelican' pedestrian crossings have control lights. Advertising billboards are lit - or these days are virtually big TV screens anyway! Car parks & industrial premises have security lights. 24hr petrol stations are well lit... the list goes on.

The most difficult form of transport to see at night - possibly somewhat ironically for model railway layouts - is a freight train. The only lights on that are the loco headlights & the rear marker light!! 

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 19/11/2020 at 22:40, F-UnitMad said:

The most difficult form of transport to see at night - possibly somewhat ironically for model railway layouts - is a freight train. The only lights on that are the loco headlights & the rear marker light!! 

I've found you have to over-enhance weathering colours and tones to see them in the reduced light, and also need a way to darken the surroundings of the layout to get the same effect as the camera sees, so as an experiment for a portable exhibition layout it's no more effective than the night layouts of old where the gazillion candela bulb would shine through the plastic of the Faller buildings.

And if you can't put lights on freight cars, put them on things that are pointing at freight cars.... (and if that fails, just convert your photos to black &white...)

IMG_20200819_232123~2.jpg

• Like 9

Dear RMWebbers,

Having had at least one swing at a "night scene" exhibition layout,
(and getting the itch to do another, truth be told ;-) ),

I have to say I love Andy's adaption/implementation/exploitation of "in-situ light sources" like the car-parked-trackside...
...I imagine many onloookers, even "non-train" viewers, instantly "get" the visual of a large train being illuminated "as it move thru/past the beam of the headlights"...

Happy Modelling,
Aim to Improve,
Prof Klyzlr

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by Prof Klyzlr
Phonebooth
  • Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, Prof Klyzlr said:

Dear RMWebbers,

Having had at least one swing at a "night scene" exhibition layout,
(and getting the itch to do another, truth be told ;-) ),

I have to say I love Andy's adaption/implementation/exploitation of "in-situ light sources" like the car-parked-trackside...
...I imagine many onloookers, even "non-train" viewers, instantly "get" the visual of a large train being illuminated "as it move thru/past the beam of the headlights"...

Happy Modelling,
Aim to Improve,
Prof Klyzlr

spacer.png

spacer.png

Excellent - “Brooklyn 3am” was always a favourite layout on Carl Arendt’s website.  Is it still around?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Dear Keith,

Unfortunately not, B3:AM suffered a crushing injury (literally) in my last house move approx 5 years ago.
(Ain't it ironic, it's own leg-system, which was acting as a load-spreader accross the top of the exoskeleton slipped out of position whilst the layout was in a mid-house-move storage locker,
and thus spread precisely zero load when an 8' tower of 55-litre "train crates" tipped-over and fell down directly on the layout...
...guess I now know, when someone asks
"...but seriously, how much force can a foamcore proscenium module really sustain without damage?..."
the answer is "...somewhere in the region of 100+ kilos..." :-(  ;-)  ).

The Qubelok exoskeleton survived, the trains were seperately-stored in their travel trays,
and I did manage to retrieve/recover many of the major structures and scenic items.
(panic over, the "Loft Building 20" rave party was saved...)

Some of the electronics (there was a surprising ammount for a layout only 4' x 2' + dropleaf staging),
is being recycled as we speak on my current build (some power distro and switch-gear),
but some of the rescued B3:AM structures have been momentarily test-fitted into a 2' x 1' Qubelok exoskeleton,
(surplus after a stillborn micro build that was too-clever for it's own good,
and stalled under it's own complexity),

so there may well be a "mini B3:AM" at some time in the future.
(Yes, I believe the key scene can be squzzed further without compromise, and being half the dimensions of the original, and with all the structures already built, it should go together twice as fast as the original, aye?)

In staircase thoughts, I do have a small roster of the Walthers/P2K NTC subway cars stashede somewhere in the warehouse, and if the mechs don't get pillaged for some other mission, I have considered if a respawned B3:AM could also host a "letterbox slot" addition in the base fascia, showing a short portion of subterranian NYC subway running? (pair of shuttle pass-thrus, possibly with some "one way turnout" subterfuge for bonus points?)

That said, that's not the "itch to do some more night-scene modelling" layout I was thinking of,
(Andy G knows what I'm talking about... ;-) )

and between the current build, the "mini B3:AM", and whatever the "next one" is,
I would hope I'm fully equipped to hit the re-launched local exhibition scene hard,
with a few layouts of suitable finescale attitude, visual appeal, and audience engagement,
whenever that might be...

Happy Modelling,
Aim to Improve,
Prof Klyzlr

Edited by Prof Klyzlr
  • Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 3

1 hour ago, 298 said:

Whilst on the theme, an illuminated Preiser HO desk lamp. The model itself is from the estate of Shortliner Jack, from when his surplus items were on eBay.

00100lPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20190909170835547_COVER.jpg

Got to love the way that guy is on the phone, but the handset is still resting on the phone cradle!!

Oh silly me, of course - he's using an early '80s Brick Mobile!!! :mosking:

Working desklamp is pretty awesome, though!

Speaking of the late, great Jack Trollope, I too bought items from his estate sale. 

The GP9u is a heavily modified Walthers Mainline model (by myself), with my heavily bodged interpretation of a Topeka Cab (I'm fully aware it isn't correct) 

The GP38-2 is a Bachmann model, detailed and since that pic I've changed the cab and headboard numbers to more correct size and font. 

I hope Jack would be proud. 

IMG_20200909_104700.jpg

IMG_20201121_171735.jpg

• Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 2

2 hours ago, F-UnitMad said:

Got to love the way that guy is on the phone, but the handset is still resting on the phone cradle!!

Oh silly me, of course - he's using an early '80s Brick Mobile!!! :mosking:

I hadn't even noticed that...! I think I can fix it tho...

• RMweb Gold

I've done night-lighting on both my French layouts but I agree that once you start down that road, there's a endless list of things that need to be lit, or look better that way. The wiring for the lights quickly overwhelms all the other layout wiring, too.

In this view, we had the ambient layout lighting (variable LEDs) turned up to represent dusk rather than full night-time.

IMG_2365a.jpg

On my British layout, I've just got an LED lamp with a permanent blue filter to add some moonlight glow:

dmu.jpg

In other news, a friend in Toronto sent this picture through last night as she knows I liked trains:

1134250279_thumbnail(1).jpg.0a58356e6db71cb6fdfc6b1ea9fd12e8.jpg

• Like 7