Where has everyone gone?

Allegheny1600

On 28/11/2020 at 06:02, DanielB said:

A quarry layout?

Something you suggested actually 3 years ago at Wakefield: Tilley Yard South 1986. I think it would be interesting to see what would have happened to that little forgotten yard after 30 years of urban development. 

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Interesting topic...... I have read every post, and digested everyones responses. If anyone is interested, here is my two peneth worth;

There are lots of distractions now from UK outline manufacturers.... to a point. The modern manufactured stuff is very nice, but seemingly these days the big names are pricing themselves out of reach of a lot of people (£400 plus for a dmu?? Wow!)

I have a sectional exhibition style layout based (loosely) on Hayling island. 

I also am collecting 1990 ish era NSE, Rfd, InterCity etc stock for my layout of a life time. Retirement (early retirement) is only a few short years away so I have lots of modelling activity working towards that goal.

Also, in a similar vein to Ian (Olddudders), my layout of a lifetime will be partly US outline. I have a huge collection of stock and structure kits towards that goal. 

Luckily for me, I have a job that allows me to do lots of research for my chosen subject whilst at work. Also, luckily for me, my wife is happy for me to have a layout room built in the garden (45’ x 15’) as long as there is a craft workshop attached for her.

We do have a craft room in the house where we spend a lot of time. I have my workbench where I still get my fix be it building a Walthers kit, weathering a Kato SD90/43MAC, but never take any pictures as I’m not sure wether people on here would want to see my efforts. I have posted in the past, partly because I have learned a lot from the users of RMWeb who are happy to share tips and techniques. I’m just not sure that my level of modelling is something other modellers will learn from. I do plan a warts and all thread when construction starts on the railway room. I hope it will be of interest to others. 

I don’t use any form of social media other than RMWeb or occasionally YouTube, so if I can’t find what I’m looking for here, I tend to venture into US online articles. The comments section on various YouTube videos (of American modellers) has been a mine of information with other modellers happy to share their own tips or even where to buy a particular detail part. For example, I found a guy who would post two packs of Microscale Decals for the same cost as posting a birthday card.

i also agree about Model Railroader mag. There isn’t really anything new in it. It is very thin, and depending on the exchange rate, the price can be astronomical. I found a fluctuating price of between £3.45 to £4.99 within two months, although that was about 18 months ago. I no longer buy it. 

As for MJ of Slough closing, bit of a , but best of luck to them. They have earned a quieter life I would say,

I have just tried the Rails of Sheffield pre order service for Walthers F plate high cube box cars. They pre ordered for me in the same manner as MJ used to. Fingers crossed. By the way, if anyone wants High Cube 60’ Railbox cars, they are now listed on Rails website to pre order at a bargain price. 

Another new retailer that I haven’t seen anyone mention yet is Ellis Clarke Railworks up in Skipton. He has quite a comprehensive list of some very nice US outline stuff.

Finally, layout type and size. I understand the reluctance of some modellers to build ‘yet another switching plank’ as they have been done to death. There is only so much operational interest in such layouts. I have been there myself. As I said earlier, I’m lucky enough to be constructing a dedicated railway room. Not everyone gets to do that. If I could recommend a guy called Bob Sprague. He is an American model railroad planner, having a number of his schemes printed in model railroader mag. He used to plan layouts for free (or a few beers!). He now charges a modest sum to plan your bespoke layout, but he also has 9 pages of layout plans you can download for yourself. You will be amazed at how much layout you can fit in a small place. I hope I have managed to add the link below

https://www.bobstrackplans.com/plans

A bit of a ramble through my opinion on the subject but hopefully I can be counted as still here and still modelling US outline

Tony

35BA8B14-0614-4EB9-B03E-E90E6A6D8248.jpeg

Currently on the workbench, a CP GP40X for a bit of light weathering and grilles dirtied, plus these silos (from 40mm drain pipe) for a planned commercial bakery 

5508BA7C-748F-420D-8AA6-D0CECEEA5B49.jpeg

Last weeks pocket money went on these.....

BAEEDA88-32EC-46CE-9B9A-AC4A4A906DE6.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Carrying on from my lengthy rambling post, here are links to my main inspiration on YouTube. All worthy of binge watching from start to finish. They are all in a similar vein, with their videos sharing their layout growth from the very first board through to operation ideas. I’m sure that there will be something here for everyone;

https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCk9bYOMGKdRZ-lfJ0WPNLdA

this link takes you to a Canadian modellers YouTube channel, BArail systems.

It charts his layout from his first home, through a house move, into the basement of his new home to build the layout of a life time, based on a real location. Excellent channel showing everything from how he built the baseboard (bench work), back drops, lighting, track laying, wiring, rolling stock detailetc etc. Even how to take scale measurements from google earth. A real must to binge watch from the beginning even if Canadian modelling isn’t your thing. Very very informative easy to understand ‘how to’ videos (or how He did it), plus plenty of opps videos too.

Then there is The Hills line. Iowa interstate line. A great shelf layout done very well. This shows you what can be achieved on a small shelf layout. Unfortunately I can’t seem to add a link for it. There is a series of videos on YouTube plus the guy has a website dedicated to the layout.

SoCal Scale Models is another superb series of videos showing the layout being built from scratch, including bench work, backscenes, scratch building industries etc. The layout is based on an actual location in California. Again, apologies but I cant seem to embed the (correct) link no matter what I try. The problem is with YouTube, not RMWeb.

Finally, this young guys videos are predominantly about modifying and weathering locos and stock. A mine of information and lots of new to me techniques. After many years he is now starting to build his layout. Have a look for DansRailroad2011 again, hyperlink insertion isn’t playing. 

The above recommendations are just the videos that inspire me and ones that I watch regular updates on. I’m sure there are others, but those alone take up my self allotted internet time.

Hopefully there will be something for everyone in the above selection. Binge watching that lot is easy modelling! I hope it helps stimulate the mojo for anyone that has lost it a little, and hope it gives some new insight, into all aspects of the US modelling scene.

Tony

• Like 4

13 hours ago, mabel said:

35BA8B14-0614-4EB9-B03E-E90E6A6D8248.jpeg

Currently on the workbench, a CP GP40X for a bit of light weathering and grilles dirtied ...

Nice - is that a repaint of the Athearn model?

By coincidence, I saw the prototype today. It's reasonably common around here - I believe it's allocated to Port Coquitlam. I took a couple of pictures but, as you can see, vegetation management isn't great around the tracks. Here they are anyway, in Port Moody this afternoon (February 12):

IMG_0254.jpg.1b95a63f794c35cba3251bec56ea212f.jpg

IMG_0255.jpg.7ebfa6cc6684ad2a6f42741f405973a1.jpg

It doesn't show up well, but the unit is labelled as a GP38-2, under the cabside number. That's what it is internally, though the carbody is still that of a GP40X. (Note the auxiliary snow-clearing equipment on the side of the battery box.) I believe it was rebuilt to GP38-2 by National Railway Equipment before it was acquired by CP:

https://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?1,926741

• Like 3

4 hours ago, mabel said:

I cant take credit for a repaint. It is an Athearn factory model #94713.

Thanks for the pics of the real thing.

Tony

I’m confused - I thought it looked like an Athearn model, but couldn’t find it on their website. Now, even with the catalogue number, I still can’t find it! 

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, pH said:

I’m confused - I thought it looked like an Athearn model, but couldn’t find it on their website. Now, even with the catalogue number, I still can’t find it! 

I bought it new from a store (mail order) in Canada about 4 or 5 years ago. I cant remember the name of the store for the life of me. 

Tony

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, mabel said:

I bought it new from a store (mail order) in Canada about 4 or 5 years ago. I cant remember the name of the store for the life of me. 

Tony

Just found this old add from PWRS, it could have been a dealer special maybe?

B7F4D5AD-79BD-4429-94ED-72E10EECCA57.jpeg

Edited by mabel
Typo

• RMweb Premium

I have only recently returned to US outline HO after a ten plus year long break.  I did have a pretty significant set up in a shed in my parents back garden fifteen years ago and this evening I even found some photos:

100_3747.JPG.20a6888feb6369b4126ebff338817808.JPG

100_3749.JPG.a93513cca0144c8452de5d5ff56bdccf.JPG

100_3764.JPG.ac8188b178971989bd7625c7ae9356be.JPG

100_3767.JPG.97f3ce4597896fe5bd0cfbf6424e35d1.JPG

100_4154.JPG.8b29ed97a2b815aa27ccb49587563b7f.JPG

100_4158.JPG.b854e214bc498d6f1e8be583f041e3ef.JPG

100_4162.JPG.563dcb2fb32445b7367d5766ef605e22.JPG

100_4168.JPG.9955f9fc51b10dc64f21e253fc02cc56.JPG

100_4191.JPG.990bbc2b47ee311f5b00af93d3766c37.JPG

100_4233.JPG.0219b47a70b4e7f0b16bf508db6567ed.JPG

Sadly during a house move in 2009, the whole lot had to be dismantled and then disaster struck when a box containing about three quarters of my locos was dropped onto a concrete floor and they were basically smashed to bits.

The remnants were disposed off as spares or repairs on Ebay over the subsequent couple of years.  It's the SD9's, the two in the last photo I was most upset about losing, the Rio Grande one was only damaged a little but the SP one (my favourite despite the questionable shade of grey Proto 2000 used) which was the first one I had detailed up using Details West light parts was completely wrecked.  Someone probably has it in their spare parts box somewhere....

Thankfully most of my small fleet of GP locos did survive along with an SD45, some of my fictional short line's Alco's including the pair of RS3's and both SP cabooses.  One Tunnel Motor also made it by virtue of being in a display cabinet well away from the cataclysmic disaster!

Now I am back, I have a plank which now has a separate thread here and even added a GP30 to the roster.

Still want a SP SD9 again one day though, a hunt through the sales tables at shows if they ever restart will probably be my chance... 

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 4