Express Models 4 LED Yard Floodlight

michaelp

I came across one of the above yard lamps cheap at an exhibition, as there are no wires coming out of the base I decided to have it as a 'just for show' depot floodlight.

I started wondering if the light will actually work as the LEDs look to be intact but as there are no wires to connect it to a 12V power supply I dont know how I can test it, if anyone can give me an idea how to do this that would be great

Thanks in advance.

Are there any signs of wire coming from the lights down to the base, and then cut off at the base?

If so you might be able to do a bit of base surgery to expose what is left and connect a supply to them.

This video should give you an idea of what it looks like when intact.

https://youtu.be/UwEYApR_10s

Edited by sharris
  • Thanks 1

Further to my question regarding the above yard floodlight, I have removed a small section of the metal 'stem' this has revealed what I believe to be four enamelled wires which I assume is one wire for each LED, these are wired via a resistor to 12V positive and the 'stem' itself has a wire soldered to it which goes to the negative.

I have no experience of working with enamelled wire, is there anything that I need to do with the wire before I can solder a resistor to the wires ( I was thinking of a 1K resistor) since I dont know what the correct resistor value should be.

Thanks again for any input.

Edited by michaelp

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, michaelp said:

Further to my question regarding the above yard floodlight, I have removed a small section of the metal 'stem' this has revealed what I believe to be four enamelled wires which I assume is one wire for each LED, these are wired via a resistor to 12V positive and the 'stem' itself has a wire soldered to it which goes to the negative.

I have no experience of working with enamelled wire, is there anything that I need to do with the wire before I can solder a resistor to the wires ( I was thinking of a 1K resistor) since I dont know what the correct resistor value should be.

Thanks again for any input.

There should be a separate resistor for each LED.

• Thanks 1