Olive SR H class renumbering?

BrightonBoi

• 4 weeks later...

I was recommended to contact the HMRS stewards with all their wisdom on this topic. For the benefit of others is shall post their response here. With the kind permission of Mr John Harvey, here are his words:

"I rather fear that you may have prepared a specification for yourself that is impossible to achieve.

"I looked at the question of the buffers on Hornby's No 1324 back in 2018 and subsequently published an article in the HMRS Journal.

"The main point that I found regarding H class buffers was that they generally used SECR type, with the SR type not being fitted until WW2 and then in only a few cases.  It is, perhaps, somethin of a puzzle to understand why Hornby chose No 1324 to model - but it is accurate.  The SR buffers on 1324 were probably fitted at Brighton during the war but the engine was not repainted black, and it survived then until 1949 in Maunsell livery.

"So, H class locos painted in Maunsell green had SECR buffers as far as I know, with No 1324 being a rare exception.  I do not know of a photograph of a green H with SR buffers apart from 1324 (and I have looked at several hundred).

"My advice is to try to get hold of some SECR pattern buffers and change them on your model."

Along with his request that should his words be wrong, that the claim be backed up with photo evidence.

Anyway I hope there are others out there who find this information useful, and my plan is to now replace my H's buffers for the SECR type.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...