Model Rail - Chris Leigh's Polwyddelan

Ragtag

I may be going crackers but I'm convinced that as part of the series of articles on Polwyddelan, there was one where Chris describes how he made the lifeboat station.

I've hunted through my back issues and the index to no avail however, can anyone point me in the right direction? @dibber25 perhaps?

Thanks in advance.

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Ragtag said:

I may be going crackers but I'm convinced that as part of the series of articles on Polwyddelan, there was one where Chris describes how he made the lifeboat station.

I've hunted through my back issues and the index to no avail however, can anyone point me in the right direction? @dibber25 perhaps?

Thanks in advance.

If you type 'Chris Leigh' in the top box on the online index, you get several references to his seaside layout. Entries range from issues 216 - 239. 

Remember the index only goes up to December 2018 as no one is updating it anymore.

• Thanks 1

I don't have copies of MR at home so I can't check until I'm next in the office, which may be tomorrow. Can't now recall which buildings I covered in any detail as I used several different methods, depending on how the end product needed to look. I'm currently working at home building a layout but need to pop in the office for a meeting tomorrow. Polwyddelan will be on show at Egham MRS exhibition on March 21 and at our village's Railway Children Day in Barnwell village, Northants, on 23 May. These may well be the last shows that I attend with a layout. (CJL)

Edited by dibber25
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 24/02/2020 at 09:59, dibber25 said:

I don't have copies of MR at home so I can't check until I'm next in the office, which may be tomorrow. Can't now recall which buildings I covered in any detail as I used several different methods, depending on how the end product needed to look. I'm currently working at home building a layout but need to pop in the office for a meeting tomorrow. Polwyddelan will be on show at Egham MRS exhibition on March 21 and at our village's Railway Children Day in Barnwell village, Northants, on 23 May. These may well be the last shows that I attend with a layout. (CJL)

Owing to Covid-19 virus situation, the Egham show on March 21 has been postponed indefinitely. The Railway Children Day on May 23 is still 'on' at present but a decision will be taken nearer the time. (CJL)

• Friendly/supportive 2

• 2 months later...

Just come across the polwyddelan layout in MR238, are there any on line resource materials/pics available as I don't have any other mags in the sequence and search has drawn a blank?

2 hours ago, PJA said:

Just come across the polwyddelan layout in MR238, are there any on line resource materials/pics available as I don't have any other mags in the sequence and search has drawn a blank?

I'm not sure what is available on-line, as the layout was well covered in one of our How to Build A Model Railway bookazines but these are only offered in print form. I don't think I have access to any copies during lock-down, unfortunately. I'm happy to try and answer any specific questions here on RMweb, or to post up any photos that might be of help, subject to the tolerance of the admins. (CJL)

Edited by dibber25
  • Informative/Useful 1

Thats very kind, I have only found a few pics on line and most of those are just thumbnails so not very helpful.

Pictures and any track plan would be useful. I am early into a new small layout design; whilst I have the track plan pretty sorted the landscape, which will include a small coastal town, is at a very early stage of development.

I think I did see the layout at an exhibition last year before I got chance to work on the new layout, but its only coming across the magazine by chance that its clicked how pertinent some of the ideas are. Thx.

It's easiest to provide a couple of overhead views, as the layout is currently 'trapped' about 2yds from where I'm sitting, thanks to the lockdown. It was really intended to be a modern one-track terminus like St. Ives or Looe but I couldn't resist putting in a siding to justify some china clay traffic. However, I never finished it so there is no hidden yard beyond the little bridge and the rear siding seldom gets used. The layout is mainly something just to shuttle DMUs in and out of, although if I get adventurous I'll run a loco-hauled train and then back a turnover engine in to take the train out. I have Kadee uncouplers strategically placed to enable that. I've never had the courage to do it at a show!  In the second picture, on the extreme left, behind the castle, the line passes directly onto a cassette fiddle yard but I don't have space to erect that where the layout currently is. The two baseboards are 4ft 6in by 2ft - the odd size is because they are left-overs from when Model Rail's test track was reduced in size. The tops and the raised trackbed are 1/2in ply. The sloping street and the bases for all the property are 5mm foam board. The fiddle yard is 4ft by 18in. If I'm being totally honest, the biggest 'issue' is alignment of the track/baseboard joint on the curve, and the turnout for the siding. Hope that helps. (CJL)

P1250063.JPG

P1250065.JPG

• Like 4

That's very kind & really helpful.

There's something very evocative about the landscape, used to spend holidays in Devon and Cornwall and the harbour beach scene is something I wanted to recreate in my new retirement mini/portable layout, as I have with my 1st home based effort.

Having got the basic track layout/size Ok the next challenges are how to do baseboard track gradients (as I want both low level/shunting ( harbour) and connected high level/continuous track) and landscaping (for which I will initially use CAD). 

The article in MR238 will help landscaping and I will see if I can find the how to build bookazine.

You did a blog I found yesterday on the equivalent of writer's block, this layout has helped to move my concept forward!

May try to do a blog/record of the development of the layout for my own record and enjoyment as someone learning on the go.