scalescenes cargo ship info please

• RMweb Gold

Hi Dan

I've not built this particular kit but have done many other Scalescenes' buildings. I don't know if you've built other Scalescenes' stuff but the beauty is that if you make a c*ck-up you can print another sheet or sheets and do it again without further cost. If you've not made anything try one of the free kits as the techniques are used over the whole range.

• Informative/Useful 1

On 24/02/2020 at 10:19, Dan Griffin said:

Has anyone built this kit, if so what advice can you offer as to the build, is it straightforward etc.?

thanks

Dan

My advice? : sharp knives and a good straight steel ruler.

When you've got the printed sheet glued to heavy card, it really must be a very sharp knife to get a good clean cut line (without hacking your way through).

Here's a good example of doing it well:

@Dan Griffin Chris Heath has a couple of articles about the Scalescenes cargo ship build on his blog:

https://wynyardlanemodels.blogspot.com/2015/08/cargo-ship-revisited.html

Lots of construction photos to give you an idea of what's involved.

Best Wishes

Andrew

Edited by Cornholio
typo
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
On 24/02/2020 at 10:19, Dan Griffin said:

Has anyone built this kit, if so what advice can you offer as to the build, is it straightforward etc.?

thanks

Dan

Hi Dan,

I built this model as my first venture into card model building. Use a good card to stick the sheets to, I used a Pritt Stick for the sheets and Rocket Card Glue for joining the pieces together. The instructions are fairly easy to follow, but always read 2 or 3 instructions ahead to see what you need to do next.

Make sure you get the  first few pieces to fit together correctly, makes the remainder easier to fit.

Mine took about 40 hours in total to build but I was really pleased with the final result:

CON001.JPG.5ceab76d98d4772657c1dbace45cf858.JPG

Building the bridge was a little tedious;

CON003.JPG.874147d9ba8cfcdd85726789bb72bd1f.JPG

Malc

Edited by MalcT
  • Like 5