Help wiring a WYE.

Dan Griffin

I have made a crude diagram of my track layout, double track, and will feature sidings etc.

what I am asking is, having looked online wiring a WYE seems simple enough, but what about when there is a wye at each end of a run, like my diagram?

my layout is large so diagram is not to scale.

am I correct in assuming that there would need to be breaks in all rails where I have put the Red 'A' and that the WYE at the bottom of the diagram would be the exact same as the one at the top?

any help would be great. thanks.

Wye 1.png

• RMweb Gold

On what we can see there, no need for breaks at all. But there might be issues that arise elsewhere on the layout.

DC or DCC? Live crossings (frogs) or insulated?

PS: I think that you have been looking at the wiring for single-track wyes where there is always a polarity conflict.

Edited by Joseph_Pestell
  • Agree 1

10 minutes ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

On what we can see there, no need for breaks at all. But there might be issues that arise elsewhere on the layout.

DC or DCC? Live crossings (frogs) or insulated?

PS: I think that you have been looking at the wiring for single-track wyes where there is always a polarity conflict.

The points (apart from the double slip) would all be electrofrog.

I think you are correct. the diagrams I have been looking at are for single track

What double slip ?  Its not clearly shown on the diagram.

As Joseph said, as drawn, there appears to be no cross-overs from the up to down lines anywhere.  So there is a wiring arrangement which requires no reversing modules whatsoever. 

However, suspecting that there are cross-over possibilities not shown in the station diagram, then yes, you may need insulators at other end of station.  

As to how reversers should be fitted, and how many, that gets more complex on double track setups:   can two trains be crossing reverser boundaries at the same time ?   If the answer is yes, then one reverser cannot resolve the conflict, and  you need to sub-divide things so that the trains are only tripping one reverser boundary at a time. 

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, Dan Griffin said:

there are no double slips in the station area, apologies for being misleading.

it is looking rather complex so may have to amend the design to have a single lead junction on one end, like this amended diagram.  that looks a lot simpler.

Wye 1a.jpg

That is not a single lead. If you did have a single lead, you would then have polarity issues to deal with.

• RMweb Gold
56 minutes ago, Nigelcliffe said:

What double slip ?  Its not clearly shown on the diagram.

As Joseph said, as drawn, there appears to be no cross-overs from the up to down lines anywhere.  So there is a wiring arrangement which requires no reversing modules whatsoever. 

However, suspecting that there are cross-over possibilities not shown in the station diagram, then yes, you may need insulators at other end of station.  

As to how reversers should be fitted, and how many, that gets more complex on double track setups:   can two trains be crossing reverser boundaries at the same time ?   If the answer is yes, then one reverser cannot resolve the conflict, and  you need to sub-divide things so that the trains are only tripping one reverser boundary at a time. 

It would be useful to see the rest of the layout because, as Nigel says, any crossovers would affect the situation. Even then, with trailing crossovers used for shunting, my preference would be for a DPDT switch controlling one end of the crossover.

This is roughly what my final track plan will be now with some modification from the previous edition.

from what I can make out, I will need three reverse modules and I have created three loops. each single black line on the diagram represents one track(i.e 2 rails).

I hope the diagram makes sense,

Wye a.png