To stimulate discussion, post photos and exchange ideas, and (being an open public forum) help encourage others to try S scale modelling.

Thame

Denbridge

I think I may have asked this question elsewhere in the past, but don't recall seeing a response.

Does Thame still exist? It is my favourite exhibition layout ever. I first saw it at the Central Hall in I think 1975.

I very much enjoyed seeing it develop over the years until the last time I saw it at the ME exhibition. The highlight was being invited to work the box for a sequence, ably supervised and instructed of course.

It would be such a shame if this masterpiece was dismantled. I dream, in idle moments, that it could one day reappear.

• Agree 1

22 hours ago, Regularity said:

It was in store in a basement, along with the East Suffolk Light Railway, pending possible permanent exhibition.

Unfortunately the basement was flooded.

Thanks. Was it salvageable or dismantled?

Such a Shame to lose that wonderful model making.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
10 hours ago, Trueclaret said:

Have to say, Thame was the reason I started in s scale. I saw it at the Manchester show in the 70s.I think in those days it was circular with Bledlow on the opposite side.

Yes,  it was the original oval version at that Manchester exhibition.   I managed to wangle a visit travelling home from a job further south in England to Scotland.  It was across the aisle from Heckmondwike which was doing the rounds showing off P4.   I do remember being handed the controller to carry out the shunting in the yard and finding out that the previous operator had somehow got the loco trapped in the yard and the only way out was to go through the shed.    I fiddled around for a bit then,  when I thought no one was looking,  did a quick dive through the shed.  No such luck :-)   I think a good few spectators had realised my predicament and were just waiting. :-)

Jim.

• 5 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

I had the privilege of operating Thame signal box at the Crawley show in 1983. I think that's what made me determined to have interlocking lever frames on my own layout. It took 35 years to get there though...

• Like 2

13 hours ago, SGF said:

PSI - your penultimate photo shows the late Sam Bonfield whose layout "Emwell" is currently being rebuilt by a member of the SSMRS.

If I remember correctly it was Sam who did the main work on the baseboards for Thame.

Jim.

• Informative/Useful 1

I had been in correspondence with John Geach (snail mail) and luckily got myself invited to see Keen House during our visit to UK to see our relatives. This was my first ever visit to Keen House. I was in seventh heaven! Under construction were "Chiltern Green & Luton Hoo" and "Thame". The photo SGF mentioned seems to show some sections of "New Annington"? If my memory serves me right — and my command of English was good enough — I recall someone mention that the "Thame" canopy slates were cut from wine bottle caps, all wine drunk by one member of the club :)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Sam Bonfield was a great character: he could make a cat laugh. He was a chippy at Heals and made the brackets that were bolted on to Chiltern Green to support the Luton Hoo extension. Seeing the Thame back scene reminds me of how much I learnt from the artist, Ivy Bevis-Smith - Leslie’s mother (he being the mastermind behind Thame).  The Oxford end bridge and station building all had hand scribed bricks in shellacked card. The oval configuration didn’t go to many shows, but the Bledlow section was good for developing scenic techniques, especially back scenes and perspective modelling. 

Tim

• Like 2