Mallaig and the Road To The Isles

mallaig1983

Well after years of daydreaming about it, years of planning and a couple of false starts I am now embarking on my layout and hope to recreate Mallaig, the terminus of the West Highland line as accurately as I can in 4mm. It is to be set 1983/84 which was the time I became obsessed with it as a teenager. That's how long I've been planning and collecting material. 

More recently I've been collecting stock, soundchips etc.

The baseboard frames are now built and mounted on kitchen units up in the attic. I have 14 feet for the scenic section so enough to do the place justice.

I'm creating this thread as a few people have encouraged me to and a place where I can ask questions or for advice and somewhere where I can chat to other West Highland fans without hijacking others threads especially WHL4 which I have been avidly following and taking inspiration from.

Time and money will dictate the pace of this project and next month will see baseboard tops and track. Points are already in stock so a pack of Peco bullhead flexi will see the project start properly.

I hope to keep you updated regularly and look forward to your encouragement and corrections when I go wrong.

Andy.

Edited by mallaig1983
  • Like 8
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

I shall follow this with interest having caught the ferry to the isles from Mallaig at that time period. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

28 minutes ago, TheQ said:

I shall follow this with interest having caught the ferry to the isles from Mallaig at that time period. 

Ah brilliant. Sadly I never got up there at the time. Huge interest in the ferry's and islands so feel free to share any tales. I go on them regularly now but wish I'd of seen them and travelled on them back in the day.

2 hours ago, mallaig1983 said:

Well after years of daydreaming about it, years of planning and a couple of false starts I am now embarking on my layout and hope to recreate Mallaig, the terminus of the West Highland line as accurately as I can in 4mm. It is to be set 1983/84 which was the time I became obsessed with it as a teenager. That's how long I've been planning and collecting material. 

More recently I've been collecting stock, soundchips etc.

The baseboard frames are now built and mounted on kitchen units up in the attic. I have 14 feet for the scenic section so enough to do the place justice.

I'm creating this thread as a few people have encouraged me to and a place where I can ask questions or for advice and somewhere where I can chat to other West Highland fans without hijacking others threads especially WHL4 which I have been avidly following and taking inspiration from.

Time and money will dictate the pace of this project and next month will see baseboard tops and track. Points are already in stock so a pack of Peco bullhead flexi will see the project start properly.

I hope to keep you updated regularly and look forward to your encouragement and corrections when I go wrong.

Andy.

Just in time for the new Accurascale 37/0s

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, mallaig1983 said:

Ah brilliant. Sadly I never got up there at the time. Huge interest in the ferry's and islands so feel free to share any tales. I go on them regularly now but wish I'd of seen them and travelled on them back in the day.

Well back in those days the Mallaig Ferry didn't normally go to the outer Isles, But I had had arrived at Oban to be told to drive to Mallaig as the Oban ferry had broken down.. and that ferry took us to Lochboisdale.

Later on on another trip I chose to drive to Mallaig , got the ferry across to Skye and then drove to Uig for the Ferry there to Lochmaddy..

Some ten years or so earlier I used to get the ferry from Lochmaddy to Uig, then the school bus across Skye to Kyle and then the train to Inverness for School. On the trips back there used to be quantities of cheap larger bought in Inverness to be drunk on the train, leftovers would be hidden in the lifeboats for the next trip to school. Normally it would still be there...

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

31 minutes ago, TheQ said:

Well back in those days the Mallaig Ferry didn't normally go to the outer Isles, But I had had arrived at Oban to be told to drive to Mallaig as the Oban ferry had broken down.. and that ferry took us to Lochboisdale.

Later on on another trip I chose to drive to Mallaig , got the ferry across to Skye and then drove to Uig for the Ferry there to Lochmaddy..

Some ten years or so earlier I used to get the ferry from Lochmaddy to Uig, then the school bus across Skye to Kyle and then the train to Inverness for School. On the trips back there used to be quantities of cheap larger bought in Inverness to be drunk on the train, leftovers would be hidden in the lifeboats for the next trip to school. Normally it would still be there...

Great story, that's made me smile. Happy days eh? Did you used to live on Uist then?

12 hours ago, Alcanman said:

Great subject for modelling.

I visited Mallaig in 1984 with 'steam heat' 37191 providing power. 

37191 Mallaig August 1984.jpg

37191 Mallaig August 1984 -2.jpg

Hi there. I wish I'd of had the chance when I was younger. Great photos, really appreciate you sharing. Thanks.

56 minutes ago, young37215 said:

Nice to see another WHL layout under development, who knows we might get our own sub folder in the Special Interests section!. Looking forward to seeing a track plan and watching progress. 

Good luck

Thanks Rob.

13 hours ago, woodenhead said:

Just in time for the new Accurascale 37/0s

I missed the announcement last week but suspected something might be happening at some point from the slight hint given when I contacted them a couple of weeks ago. Didn't expect it to be so soon. Had a look last night and promptly pre ordered a couple. :D

1 hour ago, young37215 said:

Nice to see another WHL layout under development, who knows we might get our own sub folder in the Special Interests section!. Looking forward to seeing a track plan and watching progress. 

Good luck

Thank you Rob.

• RMweb Premium
31 minutes ago, mallaig1983 said:

Great story, that's made me smile. Happy days eh? Did you used to live on Uist then?

1971 to 1975 Dad as a civilian was posted to the Army Base on Benbecula, we of course came too.. The School I first attended was Eochar School on South Uist, it was somewhat behind in it's education. The School children used to get on the school bus, the bus would stop part of the way to school and many of the children would get off to go peat cutting. The school bus picking them up on the way home.

After 3 months there I came top of the school having scored 0 in Gaidhig. A teacher apologised they changed the school prize to the most improved rather than the best, as I'd have won all  but one..

So the council paid for me to attend Inverness high school and stay in the school hostels there..

This was  common thing for the brighter pupils..

1983 to 1985 Yours truly was Posted by Some comedian in the RAF to RAF Benbecula, to live in the buildings I'd seen being built the first time..

The Day after I got the posting notice, I got a phone call from RAF Benbecula, did I need Joining instructions on how to get there... I said no... I saw the RADAR arrive...

Their reply was "you're not old enough", to which I said I saw it being towed past our house during the School summer holidays..

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

The driver of 37 191 looks as if it might be Callum MacRaild from The Train Now Departing programme featuring the Mallaig line. Still one of my all time favourite programmes.

Regards,

Ian.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, young37215 said:

Good luck

Thanks Rob. You've set the bar pretty high but I will endeavour to do Mallaig justice.

As for the trackplan I've no fancy computer graphics to post but here is a photo of the trackplan as depicted on the panel. Points will be controlled by switches in the relevant places on the panel. I still have the original/aborted/abandoned version of the layout as I was really happy with how everything looked and will use as a template on minimallaig2. The only compromise (I think) is that the loop will only hold six coaches rather than the protatypical seven. This allows the approach between the rock cutting and the station to be more accurately portrayed.

Andy

IMG_20200225_104807.jpg

• Like 2

As for the trackplan I've no fancy computer graphics to post but here is a photo of the trackplan as depicted on the panel. Points will be controlled by switches in the relevant places on the panel. I still have the original/aborted/abandoned version of the layout as I was really happy with how everything looked and will use as a template on minimallaig2. The only compromise (I think) is that the loop will only hold six coaches rather than the protatypical seven. This allows the approach between the rock cutting and the station to be more accurately portrayed.

Andy

IMG_20200225_104807.jpg

3 hours ago, TheQ said:

1971 to 1975 Dad as a civilian was posted to the Army Base on Benbecula, we of course came too.. The School I first attended was Eochar School on South Uist, it was somewhat behind in it's education. The School children used to get on the school bus, the bus would stop part of the way to school and many of the children would get off to go peat cutting. The school bus picking them up on the way home.

After 3 months there I came top of the school having scored 0 in Gaidhig. A teacher apologised they changed the school prize to the most improved rather than the best, as I'd have won all  but one..

So the council paid for me to attend Inverness high school and stay in the school hostels there..

This was  common thing for the brighter pupils..

1983 to 1985 Yours truly was Posted by Some comedian in the RAF to RAF Benbecula, to live in the buildings I'd seen being built the first time..

The Day after I got the posting notice, I got a phone call from RAF Benbecula, did I need Joining instructions on how to get there... I said no... I saw the RADAR arrive...

Their reply was "you're not old enough", to which I said I saw it being towed past our house during the School summer holidays..

Sounds fantastic. I'd of loved to of seen the Western Isles back then. I love visiting now but I imagine things are very different to how they were back then. Great stories, thanks for sharing. 

29 minutes ago, Kylestrome said:

Most trains to Mallaig seem to have had six coaches in high season. IIRC, if there was a seventh coach it overhung the platform and you had to get off nearer the front (I might be wrong though?).

David

Yes, I've not seen anything longer than six coaches and when I rode the Jacobite a few years ago I wondered how they were going to run round seven cars. Oh, I see. The loop takes seven. I was happy how it looked on the MK1 attempt at the layout so I'm sticking with six for this one. I'm. Sure the platform only holds six anyway so on arrival with the loco on the buffer stop the rear coach of the six overhung. 

Andy

Another pic of 37191 running around the coaches at Mallaig.

It was August 1984 and the weather was atrocious causing the ferry to be late and, consequently, a late departure. Arrived back at Fort William in pouring rain and then a drive back to Oban in the dark. Happy days!

37191 Mallaig August 1984 - 3.jpg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Alcanman said:

Another pic of 37191 running around the coaches at Mallaig.

It was August 1984 and the weather was atrocious causing the ferry to be late and, consequently, a late departure. Arrived back at Fort William in pouring rain and then a drive back to Oban in the dark. Happy days!

37191 Mallaig August 1984 - 3.jpg

But oh so worth it I'll wager? Another great pic, thanks for sharing. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

The steam hauled service in the picture below is load 7 with rear coach overhanging the platform.

37.403 'Isle of Mull' at Mallaig with the K1 arrived. Jul'88

I did a Pathfinder tour back in 2016 which was load 10 or 11 and top and tailed between Fort William and Mallaig. The train was split in the platform at Mallaig and shunted in portions using the siding to enable the loco at the northern end to run round. 

• Like 7

2 hours ago, young37215 said:

The steam hauled service in the picture below is load 7 with rear coach overhanging the platform.

37.403 'Isle of Mull' at Mallaig with the K1 arrived. Jul'88

I did a Pathfinder tour back in 2016 which was load 10 or 11 and top and tailed between Fort William and Mallaig. The train was split in the platform at Mallaig and shunted in portions using the siding to enable the loco at the northern end to run round. 

By my reckoning that's the rear coach and most of the next one overhanging the platform. Looks a busy moment too. Great photo 

I bet your special doing it's megashunt was great to watch. Guessing it was double headed back to Fort William once it was all put back together?