Mallaig and the Road To The Isles

mallaig1983

• RMweb Gold

On 25/02/2020 at 11:15, mallaig1983 said:

Andy

IMG_20200225_104807.jpg

Hi Andy

I have been doing a litte research on Mallaig because I think it is likely that I will include a version on WHL4. One thing I have found is a change to the track plan at the throat of the station on or around the introduction of RETB. Prior to these changes, platform 2 was accessed from the main line from a point just beyond the end of the platform which was removed with P2 becoming accessed using the the line for the old cattle dock/oil siding. A new point was added to access the cattle dock line.  

Your track plan shows the latter arrangement whereas you say you are basing your station on 1983/4. Of course it is entirely your choice as to how and what you do but you might want to review this for your own peace of mind. There are a number of pictures on Flickr that show the change quite clearly.

regards Rob

• RMweb Gold

Ignore the above, I am wrong. The track changes took place in March 1982 and not on RETB introduction when one train working was implemented in the Arisaig to Mallaig section and Mallaig signal box downgraded to a ground frame. Your track plan is accurate for your period. 

If you have not already seen it, the attached thread is helpful

The question for me is which of the styles do I adopt?

Edited by young37215

Thanks Rob. Yes things have changed there bit by bit over the years. You're correct about the time the pointwork was changed. I've done my research from books pre Flickr days. Long before that the loop used to extend behind the wall when the tracks used to go down to the pier. Obviously the station canopy had been gone a few years before too. The latest change is the station building has had a coat of render on the platform side. Looks awful. Research is all part of the fun. 

Andy

I have a strong memory of Mallaig, sometime late 60s ish (I was 10 in 1969) when as a family we came off the ferry from Stornoway at the end of the Glasgow Fair and the Glasgow train was mobbed and was double, possibly triple, headed by NB type2s, and there was a relief train in the bay which was going to follow our train to Glasgow, at Fort William the front of our train was well beyond the platform, as was the back. 

Angus

Edited by AngusDe
spelling/typo
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, AngusDe said:

I have a strong memory of Mallaig, sometime late 60s ish (I was 10 in 1969) when as a family we came off the ferry from Stornoway at the end of the Glasgow Fair and the Glasgow train was mobbed and was double, possibly triple, headed by NB type2s, and there was a relief train in the bay which was going to follow our train to Glasgow, at Fort William the front of our train was well beyond the platform, as was the back. 

Angus

Thanks Angus. I'm really enjoying reading people responding with these kind of stories. I've not even laid a length of Flexi yet and this thread has had so many responses. Some really great tales of the place. 

This month I will be getting the ply for the baseboard tops and a pack of Peco bullhead flexi so should have some tangible progress to share. I'm following Rob's WHL4  closely and it's a fantastic layout and being built at a great pace. Anyone not following that I recommend you have a look. He's set the standard and if Mallaig is half as good I'll be happy. The layout will sit along one side of my attic and I did plan for the fiddle yard to run along the other. However I've decided that the other side of the attic will now be Glenfinnan and the fiddle yard will run up the middle. This will greatly improve playability especially when visitors are here for a day of 80s west highlanding. Glenfinnan will be laid but scenery will only commence once Mallaig is finished. I've got 3 1/2 foot depth boards so quite a lot to fill. Lots of scratch built buildings to make but because of the curve of the station and my desire to model the slipway and boat repair facility this is how it's worked out. So lots of work to do and should keep me entertained for a while. 

Stockwise we're good. That expense has been covered over the last decade. Soundchips and speakers are slightly behind but will be caught up. I won't run anything without one as once you've got some locos equiped you don't find the quiet ones as interesting. Coaches I'm about 90% there for what I want. Even the inspection saloon that was used as an observation saloon in 84. Although I'm basing the layout in 83 there will be a lot of 84 there. I want to capture the 83 decrepitude but also the early"ScotRail' branding. Only Eastfields namers will cart the white stripe (July 83 to May 84) with all other tractor's in blue,most grubby. 37 122 carried it's suedo large logo/small numbers and logo livery into 83 and is in a box at my virtual Eastfield. Don't scold me for having it hauling ScotRail branded Polmadie mk1s please. I've ordered a couple of accurascale 37s with the white stripe, one of which will become 37 081 Loch Long. I never saw it but it's my favourite loco (pushing 50 003 into second (oh the clag)) and these are coming sound equiped. So once the track is laid things should really gather momentum. 

I'm looking forward to your encouragement and even your criticisms (don't pull me up on a 37 with the wrong type of cantrail grill please. Ill sort it over time but I just want my favourites to be represented (I'm a stickler for things being correct as anyone who rebuilt Welsh Highland carrieges with me will vouch) but after so long I just want things running) 

Thanks for showing your interest and I hope to keep it. And please keep your comments and advise coming. Thanks all.

Andy

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Bit of a Sunday afternoon potter in the attic today. Set the board frames up and laid the old boards from the first (abandoned) version of the layout on top. This was to see what scenery could be incorporated at the front of the new boards as I have made them 6 inches wider this time and spent an hour studying photos and seeing how everything will sit. 

This is how far I got with the first incarnation before I became unhappy and abandoned it some ten years ago.

This crossover was where it all went wrong. It became very rough and caused constant derailments. I could of sorted it but I wasn't happy with the foam board I'd laid the track on. I won't be using it this time and the crossing is now all on the same board. You live and learn. 

This brings me to my first request for advice. To cork or not to cork for an underlay? What are the pros and cons from your experiences?

IMG_20200301_161746.jpg

• Like 2

I would go with cork every time. It will deaden some running sound so you'll get the best from your dcc sound. I will watch this thread with interest having spent many a day in Mallaig in the seventies working on SRPS railtours trains. I dont suppose my aspiration to build Glasgow Queen Street counts as West Highland (arguably it is one end of it!)

David

• Like 2

Thanks for your advice David. I have cork in stock ready to use, I just thought I'd ask advice for or against it so thank you. 

It sounds like your days in the mid seventies were well spent. I do have a couple of class 27s so once finished I can operate the late seventies occasionally.

I love your aspiration to build Glasgow QS. I've daydreamed about it many times myself. Go for it. What era would you model?

Edit Just seen your thread. Will follow with interest.

Edited by mallaig1983
  • Like 1

On 25/02/2020 at 09:19, 03060 said:

The driver of 37 191 looks as if it might be Callum MacRaild from The Train Now Departing programme featuring the Mallaig line. Still one of my all time favourite programmes.

Regards,

Ian.

Exactly what I thought - so we are either both wrong or it is him.... I also found that programme very enjoyable.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, mallaig1983 said:

Thanks for your advice David. I have cork in stock ready to use, I just thought I'd ask advice for or against it so thank you. 

It sounds like your days in the mid seventies were well spent. I do have a couple of class 27s so once finished I can operate the late seventies occasionally.

I love your aspiration to build Glasgow QS. I've daydreamed about it many times myself. Go for it. What era would you model?

Edit Just seen your thread. Will follow with interest.

As you will have seen in the thread I am going for 1950's/60's. That  said I will not be able to resist running a class 27 push pull set every now and again. I grew up with those trains and the advent of dcc sound really brings them to life? A big noise at one end followed by six mk ii's swishing through and another big noise at the other. Great memories!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, David Bell said:

As you will have seen in the thread I am going for 1950's/60's. That  said I will not be able to resist running a class 27 push pull set every now and again. I grew up with those trains and the advent of dcc sound really brings them to life? A big noise at one end followed by six mk ii's swishing through and another big noise at the other. Great memories!

Happy days. They look and sound great in videos I've seen. I bet they made a great sound climbing cowlairs.

Good luck with the layout. I'll be following with interest. 

1 hour ago, KeithMacdonald said:

Yes indeed there is a model of the station in there. A bit earlier than my era but lovely to see the former station canopy modelled. I've been in there a few times. There is quite a bit about the railway in there. Some lovely models of Mallaig fishing boats too. The curator was extremely helpful in providing a photograph of the boatyard that the railway passes just outside the station. Sadly obliterated by the new road when built in the late 80s. The Heritage Center is well worth a visit.

Thanks Keith.

Andy

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Andy,

Not been on here in a while, but just been reading through your post and it brought back memories of when I was building Kinlochewe- seen elsewhere on this site. I based the track plan and surrounding area on Mallaig in the 1970's / 1980's. It may be of some use to you. Will follow your posts with interest!

Bill.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

A whole day today spent laying out the 3rd board. So desperate to get it right. Up and down two flights if stairs watching dvd segments to get it right. Anyway the boards are finished. Tomorrow the civils move in and start tracklaying. 

IMG_20200412_161633.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Looking good. Are you representing the rising gradient leaving the station? One thing amongst many that I have become focused on with WHL4 is trying to replicate the gradients at stations which has resulted in large quantities of 3mm cork being inserted at various points under baseboards. It is a fiddly, pain in the arse piece of work but I think it makes a huge difference in getting the right 'feel' for a station. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Looks a good start,  securely built.. 

I suspect David Bell and myself will have seen each other around as i'm a life member of the SRPS,  with family in Bo'ness. I spent many hours at the old depot at Falkirk and at Borrowstouness.  I helped lay the first platform surfaces at Bo'ness and did a bit of track laying.. Life shoved me into a siding in Norfolk,  but I still get a trip that way a couple of times a year.. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheQ said:

Looks a good start,  securely built.. 

I suspect David Bell and myself will have seen each other around as i'm a life member of the SRPS,  with family in Bo'ness. I spent many hours at the old depot at Falkirk and at Borrowstouness.  I helped lay the first platform surfaces at Bo'ness and did a bit of track laying.. Life shoved me into a siding in Norfolk,  but I still get a trip that way a couple of times a year.. 

I am sure we must have met. I was regularly at Falkirk from 1975 until 1979 and also for a number of summers thereafter at Falkirk then Boness.

I also remember collecting the Boness May Queen and taking her to attend the the driving of the first spike at Boness.

• RMweb Gold

Should have been staying there this week, with a trip on the Jacobite, but obviously we're not. I have got a couple of photos over the years which might be nearly almost interesting.

19th July 1985   37049

7th September 1988  37410

July 85 15 (2).jpg

Sept 88 14 (2).jpg

• Like 1