Mallaig and the Road To The Isles

mallaig1983

At long last I have finally finished the platform faces. This is the first one glued in place. I really needed some 45° section but nothing suitable in plastic so after a couple of unsucessfull efforts to replicate it via other means I decided to use different thicknesses of sections from plastruct and evergreen as a compromise. I'm happy enough with it after weeks of frustration. I'll get on and glue the other face into position now. 

Andy

IMG_20200831_120013.jpg

• Like 7

Happy with progress today. Got both platform faces glued into position, scenic break fashioned from foam board and fixed into position and a start made on the small oil terminal dock before half an hour running a train to remind me where I laid my magnets before I laid the ballast. Time for tea now and I think I'll have a beer to celebrate.

Andy

IMG_20200831_173428.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, mallaig1983 said:

At long last I have finally finished the platform faces. This is the first one glued in place. I really needed some 45° section but nothing suitable in plastic so after a couple of unsucessfull efforts to replicate it via other means I decided to use different thicknesses of sections from plastruct and evergreen as a compromise. I'm happy enough with it after weeks of frustration. I'll get on and glue the other face into position now. 

Andy

IMG_20200831_120013.jpg

Looking good. Based on the picture below, you might want to think about weathering the platform faces a little more prior to adding the platform surface.  I recommend the Everard Junction inspired approach of splashing on some thinned acrylic paint and sponging it down using a damp sponge. 

37112 Mallaig 1Feb1985

• Like 3

Hi Rob, thanks for your input. The platform faces have had the Everard Junction treatment with the sponge. I painted them a light grey with a couple of coats then added a darker grey and went mad with the sponge. In the pictures they actually look lighter than in reality. Sometimes I look at them and love them, next time I think another coat and a thrashing with the sponge. The pic you have put up they are filthy and I'm now thinking go filthy and go mad with the sponge. I have that pic and a few others and I think you're right. I think I'm just being a bit causatious. They look great in the flesh but not like the photo. Oo I know you're right. Dirty em up more. Input very much appreciated. Thank you.

Andy

Just been up to the attic and although I'm chuffed with the results I agree Rob, they need more sleeper grime and black. I think I've taken twee railway prettiness and weathered as I've dated. However Mallaig's platform faces although a thing of beauty were absolutely filthy and I need to be a bit more ruthless. I came on this site for guidance and it's been given.

Thank you.

Andy

• RMweb Gold
21 hours ago, mallaig1983 said:

Platform face weathering today but while it dries one thing leads to another....

Perfect excuse to play trains while enjoying a brew. This is normal right? 

Perfectly normal.  I frequently go up into the loft with the best of intentions and ......

• Like 2
  • Funny 3

Very Very early stages of the mock up for the oil dock today (amongst other odds n bods). I think I've got the size and position there or there abouts. Pouring over photos but it only really appears in a photo of a train. Could really use a whole album where it is the subject. There is a second slightly higher level at the rear where 3 (different) tanks sit vertically so I'll have to see what's available and what looks right. I have some spare drain pipe which I think is right for at least one of them. I have photos taken by myself but the tanks have gone but in a way that's handy as I can see how the land lies. Just got to find them now. There are a lot of photos of houses on the same disk so I need to locate it. I had it a couple of weeks ago so it won't be far. Fortunately I won't need to build the whole estate but a couple of social housing bungalows and the rear of some semis in low relief will be adequate. The small block of tennament flats overlooking the whole scene will be quite prominent and important to get that right. Low or half relief I'm thinking. 

Andy.

IMG_20200906_155929.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Very pleasant day today working on the platform. Can't seem to find any YouTube tutorials on the way I'm trying to do it do I'm winging it somewhat. Happy with progress tho. Went through the drawers looking for the lamps I'd purchased so I could have a look and see what modifications were needed. Nothing similar seems to be available. Before I found them I came across a couple of sound chips I'd purchased at Warley a couple of years ago so I decided it was time to give 37 112 her voice. Fitted the chip and put her on the track to see how she sounded. A high pitched whistle followed by silence doesn't bode well does it? My modelling is generally 2 steps forward and one back but today was definitely 1 forward and 100 back. Pretty cheesed off but we go again tomorrow.

All of the platform coping stones have now been cut and painted, the platform surface is glued in place so tomorrow I will fit the coping stones. Going forward decoder fitting will now be carried out by professionals. I'll happily pay £20 extra to  save £100 wasted on a blown chip. Bit disheartened this evening. I'm sure food and a couple of nice drams will cheer me up tho.

Andy

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

5 hours ago, BoD said:

Ouch!  Squared.

Very much so. Still sulking about it now. I just don't know where I went wrong. I do have another one but to scared to try it today so took the grandkids to Beddgelert for some fun instead.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 06/09/2020 at 16:14, mallaig1983 said:

Pouring over photos but it only really appears in a photo of a train. Could really use a whole album where it is the subject.

Andy

I recently bought TVP's loco hauled memories dvd which amongst various goodies advertised class 37's on the WHL to Mallaig. Whilst the dvd is pretty good, the actual WHL footage is limited to a 30 second clip of a 37 departing Mallaig in 1988 and another 20 seconds of a 37 on the line between Glenfinnan and Beasdale. However he camera used at Mallaig was sighted to the south of the station, probably on the then new road which results in the oil facility appearing in 75% of the footage as the camera pans around. I think this might be the closest thing you will get to your desired album, although it is the rationalised track layout I will be using the footage as one of my main reference sources when I get to building my version of Mallaig station. 

I am sorry to hear about the fried chip, whilst I have been lucky so far and managed to avoid the same experience, it is clear that this is something many others have suffered. Do'nt assume that it is just down to you, some locos can cause a short which I have seen first hand when attempting to get a chip fitted in Laud and Butler's Cardiff shop several years ago. They managed to destroy 2 chips before deciding it was a problem with the loco!   

Rob

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Beast has spoken! 

I refitted the factory decoder to check that the loco still ran and all was fine. I then refitted the fried chip and although I can confirm the sound has gone it still worked the loco. So in effect I'd now successfully fitted 2 chips so with some trepidation I unboxed the second soundchip and fitted that. Bit of a heart in mouth moment but turning the wheel on the controller the loco moved. Dare I press F1? Of course I did and the joy of hearing the startup sequence was music to my ears. Went through the functions and then drove it around a bit. I wasn't quite dancing around the attic with joy but I wasn't far off. A very very happy bunny. Obviously the attached speaker supplied with the chip won't fit under the fan but there is another (admittedly rather odd looking specimen) in the box with it so that will need to be soldered in place of the large one. Does this need to be wired in a certain way or doesn't it matter? 

Thanks all for your kind words and support. Wish none of us had had to go through the experience and experience but it was comforting to know I'm not alone.

Rob, thanks for the heads up regarding the dvd. I'd forgotten about that. I have it in stock so I will dig it out and have a good look again. 

This morning's other work has seen another coat of paint put on the coping stones. These are strips cut from evergreen tile sheet which I have cut into at regular intervals about half way along the join between the individual stones so as to allow them to be manipulated into the shape of the curved platform. I will paint the white line on these before fixing into place.

Have to head into work shortly but a very rewarding morning.

Andy

IMG_20200928_113151.jpg

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 5

Thanks Rob. Really useful picture. I have a Knightwing tank on order so once put together I can get some idea of size etc. The two tanks were similar but not identical so I'll see if I can find a suitable candidate for a second one. If not I'll just have two identical ones and live with it. I've noted that up in the rockface behind the vertical tanks there was a smaller horizontal one too. Just need to make sure it was still there in 83. I will then binge watch YouTube tutorials on making rock faces lol.

Thanks for the photo link.

Andy

• Funny 1

Nice day up in the attic today continuing work on the platform. I've layed the surface today using DAS clay which was quite an enjoyable experience and my pie lid making skills have improved immensely. This is laid on a plasticard base that I applied pva glue to and allowed to go tacky before laying the clay. This seemed the best way to go following some experiments in the week. Once dry I'll know if it's worked. If it's loose or cracks then I'll try pollyfilla. I liked the idea of being able to roll it on a board, place it over the platform and cut to shape between the coping stones. I then stippled with a brush to hopefully look like tarmac once painted. I'm guessing that poster paint is the way to go.

The postman brought parcels today. A Knightwing tank kit which I didn't realise was sectional. That's great because I can now order a couple more and build to different sizes. The other parcel was from Lanarkshire models and contained some buffer stop kits in beautiful packaging. It's almost a shame to take them out of the packaging.

Andy

IMG_20201010_132616.jpg.0138b4a518847392c8a11a63a349d8d5.jpg

• Like 9

2 hours ago, mallaig1983 said:

The other parcel was from Lanarkshire models and contained some buffer stop kits in beautiful packaging. It's almost a shame to take them out of the packaging.

IMG_20201010_132616.jpg.0138b4a518847392c8a11a63a349d8d5.jpg

Hi,

I agree with your sentiments about the Lanarkshire models buffer stops.  I bought 5 from them for my St Mungos' project.  The castings are so good, and the packaging top notch I'm almost tempted to put them in a wee display case and scratch build replacements! Almost!

Roja

• Like 2
  • Agree 1