Mallaig and the Road To The Isles

mallaig1983

24 hours on and the clay has hardened nicely. I'll leave it a few day before painting it but Im pretty pleased with the results so far. 

37112 ticking over having just run round the stock before departing for Fort William.

16024320616317274209696578026107.jpg

• Like 10

Just now, mallaig1983 said:

I didn't get to do any modelling until 4 this afternoon but it wasn't a wasted day as I went to grice the Ffestiniog Railway gala.

IMG_20201011_132322.jpg.2c8965f3f33cedef7a8932ff6dc99050.jpg

And for some reason photos keep loading on the cack. Best viewed if you tilt your head to the right lol

• Funny 1

18 hours ago, mallaig1983 said:

24 hours on and the clay has hardened nicely. I'll leave it a few day before painting it but Im pretty pleased with the results so far. 

37112 ticking over having just run round the stock before departing for Fort William.

16024320616317274209696578026107.jpg

I do like your platform, looks great! 

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

A couple more coats of paint have gone on to the platform surface today. Between coats I have been playing trains. 37112 is the novelty loco at the minute now that it has sound. After I blew the first chip and successfully fitted the second albeit with the wrong speaker I tried to wire up the twin iPhone speaker to the chip. My soldering skills were a bit clumsy and I was unsuccessful so decided to have another go. Somehow I managed to pull the wire off the decoder. On inspection I instantly knew that I was not capable of soldering it back on so loco, speaker and chip were packed off to Richard Croft at Roads and Rails. 2 days later it was running around on Mallaig. Fantastic service from a really helpful chap. He'll now get all my decoder/speaker business. This is my first aftermarket sound loco, my other 3 having factory fitted sound (to be reblown and with better speakers. 37112 has a Legoman biffo WD chip and mated with the double iPhone speaker sounds great. Flange squealling to my delight running through the points while running round. 

Anyway here is a photo of the platform. Will need at least one more coat of paint.

Andy

IMG_20201018_163247.jpg

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...
On 06/09/2020 at 16:14, mallaig1983 said:

a couple of social housing bungalows and the rear of some semis in low relief will be adequate.

No it won't.

You'll miss my house out if you do that!

Actually, that's ok as it wasn't built in 1983...

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• 2 weeks later...

Bits of progress here, building buffer stops, making tanks for the oil terminal, platform painting etc and also a few trials on making the rocky shoreline. This is quite an important feature as it runs along most of the front of the layout. First attempt was with loft insulation as I have an 8' x 4' sheet of it left over from a renovation project. The rocks were very jagged and I haven't successfully managed to re-create them with this method. My current thinking is to see if real rock can be used. Not a big honk of it blasted from the mountainside obviously but perhaps something could be done with railway ballast type pieces intermingled with pieces of crushed slate. I'm thinking put this together and see how it looks, fill gaps with plaster, paint the whole lot grey and then pick out detail etc. Might sound crazy but I'm not sure real rock will look right. To real is perhaps a strange criticism but we'll see. Could be quite a big project. There will be an inlet from the sea to factor in to it too and as this will probably be made from resin the rocks will have to be leek proof too. A trip to the builders merchant for a bag of each is on the to do list.

With regards to the oil terminal (diesel fuel for the ferries and fishing fleet) I've been over countless photos, dvd and YouTube footage to get a decent view. I didn't find a decent view but rather snippets from various angles. The best of these is from the cab on video 125's 'Steam to Mallaig" DVD. One thing I did learn is that the terminal changed subtley over the years so I've had to rely on photos from 83 to 85. I feel confident I've had enough of these glimpses to get a decent idea of how it looked (excluding detail) and have collected and built appropriate tanks. These are now coated in grey primer and require the supports upon which they sit to be constructed.

I had always planned to build Glenfinnan station on the opposite side of the attic with the fiddle yard running back down the middle of the layout between the two stations but since researching the timetable and photographs to see what stock was generally on what service I realised that the two Glasgow to Mallaig through trains had a shuffle at Fort William. I couldn't stop thinking how interesting this would be in a layout so I have now decided to include Fort William in the layout and run an off scene track behind Glenfinnan to a fiddle yard under the non scenic section between Mallaig and Glenfinnan. The sleeper train would arrive at FW from Glasgow Queen Street and the rear 3 coaches would be detached and added to 2 coaches in platform 2. These 2 coaches having arrived earlier from Mallaig. The 5 coach ensemble then departs for Mallaig. Next in is the 12:30 arrival from GQS which has an observation saloon added before departing for Mallaig, passing the earlier ensemble at Glenfinnan. That set is now a through service from Mallaig to GQS and reverses at FW. A local service departs FW for Mallaig at 16:10 and often runs as the mixed. This passes the set with the observation saloon at Glenfinnan which on arrival will have a reshuffle with 3 cars joining the sleeper cars and the other 2 will form the 20:55 last train to Mallaig and indeed the 07:00 ex Mallaig the following morning. Before that though the sleeper will depart from GQS and London Euston and the local will return from Mallaig. Next action of the day will see the 16:34 ex GQS arrive at FW at 20:42 to connect with the afore mentioned last train to Mallaig. Loads and loads of scope to operate a really interesting layout and having been collecting stock for the last 15 years or so (£18 for a mk1 is something I miss!) I have enough coaches if I assume that the 09:19 FW to GQS is the same stock as the 16:34 GQS - FW. This could be done with 5 locos but more realistically with 6 as the first loco to arrive at Glasgow would more than likely head straight to Eastfield depot for a drink and a new duty. I also have the locos for this and these will be supplemented when a parcel arrives from Accurascale at some point next year. 

Really enjoyed working that sequence out and I'm happy to be corrected if I've made errors but to operate that timetable without utilising the space I have for Fort William seems a shame so I'm going for it. I'm aware that I'm not exactly blazing a trail and ripping up trees with progress on the Mallaig section but that comes in fits and starts when time and money are available and I'm aware that everything I'm doing I'm doing for the first time and will be quicker when repeated on the next section. So the layout plans just got a whole lot bigger but I'm really excited about it. 

If you stuck with that til the end thank you. Any spelling mistakes whatever, I can't be bothered to proof read it when I need to get some pie in the oven, poor a beer and fire up YouTube on the telly. 

Cheers everyone, have a great evening.

Andy

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, mallaig1983 said:

the first loco to arrive at Glasgow would more than likely head straight to Eastfield depot for a drink and a new duty

1984 Loco Hauled Travel shows the diagram to be a round trip starting and ending at Fort William. I suspect in reality the loco was often changed when the operational needs dictated.

• Thanks 1

The oil depot has been progressed today but the base needs modification. The tank on the left sat on a base built up from ground level so the section underneath it will need cutting away. I have cut plasticard sections to form the base but it looks a bit complicated so progress is slow as it's my first bit of scratch building. 16048545023975923889417306112400.jpg.67b5eeb9ed501866a07360120580bd82.jpg

Screenshot_20201108-160239.png

16048544585273745425296458672769.jpg

• Like 3

Not looking for any "Well done Andy you've built a buffer stop" type replies but just want to big up Lanarkshire Models for these kits. I've had a strange obsession with buffer stops this last couple of weeks. There are two types at Mallaig. The NBR type are the originals and feature 3 examples but there are a couple of BR examples on the two tracks that have been cut back. Meticulous research this week to find out how they were painted in 83. Anyway that's the first one and I'm really pleased with the kit. 

16048552195662352930617251698779.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, mallaig1983 said:

This is where I'm at with the rocky shoreline. I can't carve it jaggedy enough hense I'm thinking about using ballast and slate. Still bashing ideas about on that one.

16048548631672191484489663670256.jpg

I'm just comparing photos in Book Law's 1st Generation Scottish Diesels and Ian Allen's BR North of the Border, the first being a 1960's photo and the second being from 1982 and strangely the later photo makes the rocks seem much more jagged, maybe it's just the angle but the two scenes don't look quite the same although both are taken before the road 'improvements' took place.

Other than looking at the Scenecraft moulds have you considered trying to create the vertical bits using cardboard formers covered with tinfoil, then Polyfillered over which I'd earmarked as a potential method for when I start scenic work on my WHL layout (although I'm still dithering over which section of line to model.)

Regards,

Ian.

Edited by 03060

Hi Ian, thanks for popping by. I really appreciate your input so thank you. Do you mean basically build my own mould? I'd be keen to hear how to make what you're suggesting. I'm open to any new ideas on this.

Thanks

Andy

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, mallaig1983 said:

I can't carve it jaggedy enough hense I'm thinking about using ballast and slate. Still bashing ideas about on that one.

I dont think you are far off. I suggest that you paint the rocks with a base rock colour and I think you will be surprised at the transformation in the appearance. Overall I think you have captured the essence of the area very well, in my opinion if you get to bogged down in micro detail you will struggle to move forward. After all everything we do when modelling incorporates a compromise to some degree. Sometimes it is easy to lose sight of this and get hung up on a point that in the bigger scheme of things is relatively minor.   

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

Maybe I should perceiver with the foam a bit more, get some paint on it and see how it looks. To be fair it's only foam so could always be re-visited later if it looks a weak point. 

Thanks

• RMweb Premium

These are some photos that I've just taken up in the loft on my currently dismantled 3mm S&DJR layout.

Whilst I don't think I used tin foil in this instance the basis for the scenery is just carved polystyrene, possibly with some  cardboard extras and covered with Polyfiller which is then moulded with a pallette knife or tool. Painted with match pots from Wickes.

I agree with Rob, you are not far off with what you have so far, maybe the Polyfiller would make the difference with some more prominent rocks built up from your current base materials. It all looks a lot different once painted.

I think that I got the tinfoil idea from a magazine article which I thought gave a pretty good representation of creviced rock surfaces similar to the Woodland Scenics moulds (not Scenecraft as I mentinoned earlier.) I'll try to find you this article this afternoon.

This was my first real attempt at this sort of quarried scene and I was very pleased with the result, only altering one area that didn't look quite right.

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Ian.

18388CF0-B07A-4372-A7D8-C9F53F344F78.jpeg

3AD85CF2-0D5D-4E3E-B052-DBC789DE9567.jpeg

D012D29C-0BA4-4332-B92D-EA2E19A8AFDB.jpeg

25FEAD25-7F3D-4FE9-9107-E14D0CAF8419.jpeg

630476D6-D8B1-410E-A634-836CA015A2EA.jpeg

Edited by 03060
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Andy

What are you using as the fuel tanks? I have ruled out Bachmann's 44016 fuel storage tanks which would have been a simple solution for the two main tanks and am now pondering my options. I am guessing that the smaller tanks include Ratio's kit 530?

Thanks Rob