Mallaig and the Road To The Isles

mallaig1983

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, young37215 said:

Hi Andy

What are you using as the fuel tanks? I have ruled out Bachmann's 44016 fuel storage tanks which would have been a simple solution for the two main tanks and am now pondering my options. I am guessing that the smaller tanks include Ratio's kit 530?

Thanks Rob 

Weren't the knightwing tanks mentioned earlier on, sure it was this thread that made me aware of them. 

• Like 1

On 29/10/2020 at 10:44, mallaig1983 said:

Ah, are you far from my modelled area David? Perhaps I could at least accommodate your car somewhere.

Andy

On 08/11/2020 at 16:56, mallaig1983 said:

16048544585273745425296458672769.jpg

Just above the left-most oil tank... ;-)

https://www.google.com/maps/@57.0053705,-5.830873,3a,75y,122.35h,87.23t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s9C4kAiOQpHhL9-l2StsZzg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 08/11/2020 at 17:04, mallaig1983 said:

This is where I'm at with the rocky shoreline. I can't carve it jaggedy enough hense I'm thinking about using ballast and slate. Still bashing ideas about on that one.

16048548631672191484489663670256.jpg

My first proper layout in about 1990 was of Mallaig - no photos unfortunately. I was really pleased with my rock cuttings and shore line which I made from a stirred up mix of thick polyfilla and broken up polystyrene chunks of various random shapes and sizes. I built up a basic profile using polystyrene blocks and poured the mixture over it - moulding and shaping with a pallet knife until it set thick enough to hold its shape and structure. When it was dry, after a couple of days I attacked it with a chisel to create the shapes I wanted and knock off the curly edges. All the chippings then became the rocks on the shore line. After painting and weathering it looked really good IMHO. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

Thanks Coronach. That's really useful information. I'm going to perceiver with the piece I have for now as it's not fixed down. Yours and other methods that have been mentioned will be tested too as experimental pieces and then I will see what I'm happiest with. So thank you for sharing your method. It's a shame you don't have photos. I would have loved to of seen your layout.

Rob, 

The tanks are a mixed bag. From left to right are a Knightwing kit, the next two are made from plastic drain pipe with plasticard ends, the small one is indeed from Ratio on extended pillars and the two vertical ones are made from a cardboard poster tube cut to size then clad in .25 plasticard that I'd used a bradle on to pop rivets into. Then a plasticard top to it. Really happy with one of them but the other needs remaking.

Andy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/11/2020 at 22:05, DavidBird said:

Ah brilliant. What a great spot you're in! A tad jealous here.

Correct me if I'm wrong but is your house on the site of the old electricity board shop? 

Andy

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, mallaig1983 said:

Thanks Coronach. That's really useful information. I'm going to perceiver with the piece I have for now as it's not fixed down. Yours and other methods that have been mentioned will be tested too as experimental pieces and then I will see what I'm happiest with. So thank you for sharing your method. It's a shame you don't have photos. I would have loved to of seen your layout.

Rob, 

The tanks are a mixed bag. From left to right are a Knightwing kit, the next two are made from plastic drain pipe with plasticard ends, the small one is indeed from Ratio on extended pillars and the two vertical ones are made from a cardboard poster tube cut to size then clad in .25 plasticard that I'd used a bradle on to pop rivets into. Then a plasticard top to it. Really happy with one of them but the other needs remaking.

Andy

There might be a photo in an old album somewhere. I will try and find it. The layout was never completed

• Like 1

Had a messy day yesterday cutting and carving insulation foam to build the scenery at the rear of the layout refering to Google Earth street view and photos as I went. It's not 100% accurate but I'm happy with the representation it gives. It's only a start and there's much more to be done. In an ideal world I'd be parked up there in a van with a workbench in the back and could keep popping out to check things. But I'll rely on my photos.

16055235353963167185543148435380.jpg

16055235633697968046114278969265.jpg

• Like 9
  • Agree 1

On 14/11/2020 at 10:07, mallaig1983 said:

Ah brilliant. What a great spot you're in! A tad jealous here.

Correct me if I'm wrong but is your house on the site of the old electricity board shop? 

Andy

No, not that one.

Wish it was!

Not a lot of progress today as the sun has shone here in North Wales for what seems like the first time in weeks so I took the chance to get out and do some walking. However a little pottering was done when I got home. The terrain continues to take shape. I must admit to feeling a little daunted by the task ahead but learning all the time. I really wanted to capture the feel of the place hence the scenic area is larger than it needed to be but hopefully I can do it justice. There are a lot of buildings to make too so many new techniques yet to learn. Am enjoying YouTube tutorials tho. The signal box is a half built effort made a few years ago but will be started again from scratch. Note the faithful Dapol kit built semi that gets used for gauging just about every building I plan to build. 

Andy

16060638399608907180736934521217.jpg

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, mallaig1983 said:

Not a lot of progress today as the sun has shone here in North Wales for what seems like the first time in weeks so I took the chance to get out and do some walking. However a little pottering was done when I got home. The terrain continues to take shape. I must admit to feeling a little daunted by the task ahead but learning all the time. I really wanted to capture the feel of the place hence the scenic area is larger than it needed to be but hopefully I can do it justice. There are a lot of buildings to make too so many new techniques yet to learn. Am enjoying YouTube tutorials tho. The signal box is a half built effort made a few years ago but will be started again from scratch. Note the faithful Dapol kit built semi that gets used for gauging just about every building I plan to build. 

Andy

Get some more paint on those rocks on the Atlantic side!!, the bits that have already been painted look really good. I think you will be well rewarded for the painting, there is nothing like seeing visible progress as a motivator to do more. From personal experience visible progress is self sustaining, the more you get done the more you want to achieve. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
20 hours ago, mallaig1983 said:

Andy

The rocks look really good.  I found that a bit of dry brushing using a largeish brush and white paint helps to pick out the texture and looks very much like seagull sh*$ 

• Funny 2

The rocks on the Atlantic side that are black are actually a foam moulding from Noch. It was a piece about A4 size that I picked up at Warley some years ago. Shame they don't make them in metre lengths! I have made a number of plaster mouldings for the faces on the landward side of the track but with only the one mould to hand I need to get a couple more. That along with some plaster of paris, sculpting plaster and plaster bandage are all awaiting the modelling tokens to drop into my account on payday. In the meantime more shaping of the celotex blocks continues...

• Like 3

On 23/11/2020 at 10:08, 6990WitherslackHall said:

Since I last looked on this thread, this layout has progressed quite a bit. I am looking forward to seeing it complete.  

So am I :-)

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

Thanks David.

It does seem quite strange following another thread where the current subject is virtually identical to what's going on up in my own attic. Rob is fortunate to have more time to spend on his layout than I do but I'm happy for him to forge ahead and set the standard so to speak. I'm cutting my teeth on every thing I do and I can only really have a decent modelling session at the weekends. Rob is a really good modeller and WHL4 is a great inspiration. Having accomplished modellers following this thread is good for me as it makes me aim high. Compliments, advice and even criticism all help me to hopefully achieve a decent standard of work and fair representation of the prototype.

Andy

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

One of the great things about RMWeb is that it creates the opportunity to for a virtual community of like minded individuals with similar interests. In turn this provides a platform for everyone to learn and develop their skills and abilities.

On 26/11/2020 at 10:29, mallaig1983 said:

Rob is a really good modeller and WHL4 is a great inspiration.

Kind words Andy and I hate to disappoint but I think you will find most of us have inferiority complexes and regard our peers as being more capable than they are in reality.

On 26/11/2020 at 10:29, mallaig1983 said:

Having accomplished modellers following this thread is good for me as it makes me aim high. Compliments, advice and even criticism all help me to hopefully achieve a decent standard of work and fair representation of the prototype.

To the extent that it motivates you I would agree, however it is also easy to become overawed which can lead to inertia and a project getting stuck. It is a fine balancing act to maintain motivation and keep quality to the level and standard we aspire.

Edited by young37215
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi Andy

Have you decided on what you will use to model the new (its only 40 odd years old) single story annex? I cannot quite get clear in my head what will work best, ideally I want to use Wills plasticard where my current thinking is coarse stone (SSMP200) for the walls and slates (SSMP203) for the roof.

Have you got any better suggestions?

Rob

MALLAIG station 20171012

• Like 2

Hi Rob,

I intend to use the Wills stone plastic for the main building but I don't think I'll use it for the annex. I was originally planning to get something from the Squires stand at Warley. I'm pretty sure it's a Slater's product. It's a dressed stone and looks quite different to the Wills example. Trouble is the Slater's website doesn't have pictures on it. I just want it to look different to the original building and I think this fits the bill. Obviously the main building has only been rendered very recently. My heart sank when I first saw it as I turned around on the platform. It is however only that face that has had it applied.