Mallaig and the Road To The Isles

mallaig1983

• RMweb Gold

According to Wikipedia,(fictional content possible) ;

"The present lever frame, with 30 levers, dates from 1973. An 'NX' (entrance-exit) panel was added in 1975 to control the signalling at the relocated Fort William station. At the same time, the single line between the junction and the station became worked under Track Circuit Block regulations."

That's in the entry for the junct' box.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

I am indeed a signal engineer and an electronic engineer by background. Neither of these give you any kind of head start with wiring a model railway, other than some misplaced confidence perhaps. The only common basic is that all electronic and electrical equipment is manufactured with a puff of smoke tightly packed inside it. Never do anything that will release that smoke! Or in simple terms, make sure you protect stuff if you're likely to touch positive to negative.

The following simple drawing may help explain my wiring. Microsoft Visio's insistence on routing the wires in its own paths makes it look more untidy than I would like!

Heart of the system is the NCE procab with a cab bus (on the left), to allow multiple throttles to be connected. That's all standard stuff. The two wires out of the procab feed out to the track via a circuit breaker (to protect the smoke in the procab). If you only want a DCC system, then you only need half of what is to the right of the circuit breaker. I have one set of track feeds going via a DPDT switch to allow one track to be connected to DC controller (H&M Duette, model railway standard issue). This allows my inner circle to run on DC for loco testing, whilst everything with a DCC chip in it sits safely on the outer track or sidings. I never run DC and DCC at the same time, in case a mis-set crossover causes shorting between systems, but this avoids having to pick all the locos up off the track whilst I do any testing.

The pairs of earth blocks then go off to each board, via bespoke cables I made using D-type cables. You could use off the shelf cables, but mine carry my solenoid point motor feeds too, which need some oomph. In the event of a serious fault (not happened yet), you can unplug each board's feed cable and see which board is at fault.

On each board, I have split the track into sections, but you could treat all the track as one. I jumper each rail to the next one in line, rather than feeding each rail direct from the earth block. This makes fault finding really easy, as the location of the dead section tells you which wire has broken. A basic meter (of the £10 variety) will have a continuity tester making this method of fault finding really simple. 

If you're using a reasonable size wire (16/0.2 has a cross section of 1.6mm2 and is thicker cross section than your 1.5mm2 house lighting circuit fused at 10A) then you'd need to go a lot further than 45 feet before you get into any issues. 

1739760212_CJWiringOverview.jpg.1da1ce89ed118d0e08b15b9468cc1243.jpg

Ok, that’s probably the most complex post on my thread but read in conjunction with the diagram makes sense. Thanks for the explanation and in pretty much laymen’s terms too. Very kind of you to take the time, much appreciated.

Here in North Wales today I have resisted the temptation to go out and play in the snow. Much more serious issues to contend with in the attic and kitchen. I’m fitting a new kitchen next month (covid permitting) and the plan was to reuse a couple of the base units to put the temporary fiddle yard on. Well I’m an impatient sort and like the scene from Chitty Chitty Bang Bang where Caratacus Potts leaves his locked workshop, goes into the house and rips out the fireplace to use on the car I have liberated the units and taken them up two flights of stairs and used them on the layout. The microwave, toaster and kettle aren’t particularly happy about the situation but it’s not for long. I’ve reused some old ply baseboard tops and kind of made it all fit. It’s not my finest work but it’s only temporary (ish) and it didn’t cost a penny so I’m content with it. I’m going to ache tomorrow I expect.

obviously as soon as it was finished it started to become my new dumping ground but with the extra storage created there’ll be no excuse 

BAB849B6-05EC-4E0E-B14F-77149DFAE529.jpeg

Edited by mallaig1983
  • Like 3

As an aid to my explanation of how the layout will all fit together here are a series of photographs showing the lie of the land. The first one shows Mallaig on the left.

895C4C6F-B4F7-4CE6-8F91-944791F26578.jpeg

Edited by mallaig1983
  • Like 2

And thirdly looking down the centre is where Fort William will go. The eventual fiddle yard will go from left to right across the back wall and will be fed by a track running behind Glenfinnan. It’ll be a bit tight but fitting a chunk of Scotland into my attic was always going to be a challenge.

AE58D2B6-2C34-420B-956E-0CD87CBDAC91.jpeg

• Like 7

1 minute ago, 6990WitherslackHall said:

Will it have some representation of the now famous Viaduct?

If I can persuade next door to rent me their attic then yes. No seriously I don’t really have the room to even hint at it. Perhaps I might do Loch nan Uamh above the eventual fiddle yard but it would only be half of it. It’s straight and my favourite location on the line. That’ll be a long way off tho as I think I’ve got enough to keep me busy for at least the next 2 or 3 years 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I think we both appreciate some honesty in our posts but I’ll be leaving my kitchen unit doors closed!

I also note we share the same collection of sh*t / important materials for future use.

I always think my wiring is really simple, there’s just a lot of it. Maybe that’s because I know how complicated it could be...

• Funny 3

Pahh, doors are overated. Yep there’s a good assortment of really useful stuff under there. If you have a routle through you’ll find some Southern Region steam era stuff, a few first generation dmu’s.  Also a box of old Lima and Hornby coaches which really should go on Ebay. 

Wiring wise I don’t control my points with the dcc cab. I like the idea of keeping that separate. I intend to use the rather nice dcc concepts levers at Glenfinnan as that will have semaphores too. 

• Like 1

Just been catching up with 'Mallaig'. Great work. I hadn't realised you were doing Fort William and Glenfinnan as well.

A very ambitious project which I'll be following with great interest.

Here is a photo at Glenfinnan station which I took from the Fort William - Mallaig train I was on, hauled by 37191 in 1984. I didn't get the number of the 37 waiting in the loop at the station. It's named but obviously too early to be a 37/4.  Any suggestions?

Class 37 at Glenfinnan.jpg

Edited by Alcanman
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, 6990WitherslackHall said:

I've had a closer look at the image. I can't exactly make out the number but I think it might be a 37/2 

I think it may be 37260 'Radio Highland' which was named in July 1984 and spent a month at Eastfield.

ps  sorry to hi-jack the thread.

Edited by Alcanman

Not at all Alcanman, all welcome to chat about the 1980s West Highland. I think you and Witherslack have narrowed it down correctly as it does look like 37260 Radio Highland. Inverness stablemates with 261 and 262 giving those pesky 37/4s a run for their money. Obviously only during the summer tho. I’m giving you two bonus points for identifying it but I’m taking them straight back off you again for trying to pass off Achnashaen as Glenfinnan! ;-)

Lovely photo tho. Sadly the hotel has since burned down and been demolished. The footbridge still stands tho but it all looks rather sparse there now in comparison.

Edited by mallaig1983
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, mallaig1983 said:

Not at all Alcanman, all welcome to chat about the 1980s West Highland. I think you and Witherslack have narrowed it down correctly as it does look like 37260 Radio Highland. Inverness stablemates with 261 and 262 giving those pesky 37/4s a run for their money. Obviously only during the summer tho. I’m giving you two bonus points for identifying it but I’m taking them straight back off you again for trying to pass off Achnashaen as Glenfinnan! ;-)

Lovely photo tho. Sadly the hotel has since burned down and been demolished. The footbridge still stands tho but it all looks rather sparse there now in comparison.

Oh dear! Another senior moment. I do wish I'd kept notes back then. All these years, I thought it was Glenfiinnan.

• Friendly/supportive 1

15 minutes ago, Alcanman said:

Oh dear! Another senior moment. I do wish I'd kept notes back then. All these years, I thought it was Glenfiinnan.

So by that you won’t know what’s on the sharp end of your train? Don’t worry about the senior moment we all get them. It is a cracking photo though. I’m currently watching Midland Mainline vintage cabride but I can feel video 125’s ‘Skye Train’ coming out for a viewing next. You always treat us with your fantastic photos.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Strange isn’t it how you can just pop to the railway room to get something and before you know it you’ve seen the roll of masking tape and the footprint of the Fort William boards appears on the floor? Weird world:scratchhead: 

3801414F-CF80-4097-98C9-C198FC5DCE2F.jpeg

Edited by mallaig1983
  • Like 5
  • Funny 1

13 hours ago, mallaig1983 said:

So by that you won’t know what’s on the sharp end of your train? Don’t worry about the senior moment we all get them. It is a cracking photo though. I’m currently watching Midland Mainline vintage cabride but I can feel video 125’s ‘Skye Train’ coming out for a viewing next. You always treat us with your fantastic photos.

Thanks. Thought I should try and redeem myself by showing that I can correctly identify stations on the WHL. Here is 37172 starting away from Taynuilt with the tanks from Oban

37172 at Taynuilt -2.jpg

• Like 4

Thanks. Another great photograph. It’s a huge regret that I never got to the Highland lines at this time. Sadly I didn’t earn enough from my paper round but fortunately so many of you who did see the lines in the flesh during this period recorded the event and can now share their memories. I’m certainly very grateful to you and those that share the images.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mallaig1983 said:

Thanks. Another great photograph. It’s a huge regret that I never got to the Highland lines at this time. Sadly I didn’t earn enough from my paper round but fortunately so many of you who did see the lines in the flesh during this period recorded the event and can now share their memories. I’m certainly very grateful to you and those that share the images.

Thanks. Your layout and WHL v4 have rekindled my interest in the West Highland line. Just been looking at my old notebook and and realised it's 40 years since my first visit in 1981 when 37s had taken over passenger services. 

I don't have space for a large layout so I've started building a small shunting layout with a WHL connection. Thanks for the inspiration.

Edited by Alcanman
  • Like 4

Oh that’s fantastic. Welcome to the club. WHL4 is an inspiration to me too so something of a domino effect going on. Where is your new layout based on? Is this the thread that you have recently started? Good luck with it and keep us posted.

• Agree 1